Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htpc build

Options
  • 11-11-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

looking to do a hdpc general surfing for a friend budget 400 came up with this any thoughts would am3 be cheaper not looking for anything amazing just internet and watching films will be hooked up to a 42" plasma [IMG][/img]pcjonner.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

or this maybe [IMG][/img]jonner2.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Do you need such a processor, I just built a HTPC with a dual-core 3GHz and it's fine at running 30gig+ .mkv files at 1080p onto a 10' screen, at €62 you could save ~ €28.

I'd up to a 1.5TB sammy drive for an extra ~ €14, 50% more space.

I went for this MB because of on-board optical sound and 6 SATA connections, another saving of ~ €16

Couldn't help you on the rest as I went for higher spec case and already had my card, any half gig GT8600 equivalent is fine

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Re. the AMD build ,

If the build is purely for movies and web browsing , the HD4350 is not needed .
    The motherboard has the 785 chipset (integrated HD 4200) and is more than capable of 1080p playback using hardware acceleration .

The same applies to the CPU , a triple core cpu is not needed for web browsing / video playback .
    Any of the Athlon II dual core processors will do , (if you can get an "e" version , it'll run cooler (less heat = less fan noise) , and save a liitle on the electric bill in the long run . The "e" versions of the Athlon dual core chips are 45w , the triple core you listed is 90w .

For example the AMD Athlon II X2 245 (2.9Ghz , not an "e" version ) is listed at €49 on HWVS .
    € 10 cheaper than the triple , combined with a saving of € 26 by not needing a seperate graphics card , this €36 could go towards something else .

If you think your friend will be gaming in the future , keep the triple core cpu you have listed , and leave out the graphics card until he needs to buy one (the 4350 is no good for gaming anyway , I'd reccomend at least a 5670 , preferably a 57xx card )

Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

great imput guys cheers i really want something fast for him so no hanging about but if no gpu needed i might buy something else alright

Advertisement