Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do other army's have the equivalent of PDFORRA ?

• 11-11-2010 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

It was set up in 1990 as far as I remember in responce to protests by soldiers wife's which got widespread public support to the poor conditions, bullying etc in the army. I think it was a positive step. So, do any other country's have similiar ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

It was set up in 1990 as far as I remember in responce to protests by soldiers wife's which got widespread public support to the poor conditions, bullying etc in the army. I think it was a positive step. So, do any other country's have similiar ?

http://www.euromil.org/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The US has the Association of the US Army, which isn't given quite the same official status as the groups such as PDFORRA, but is the closest equivalent. There are plenty of other lobbying groups as well, such as VFW and AL.

I think there's less need for it in the US, though, as military and former military personnel make up a not insignificant portion of the electorate, so the legislators (many of whom also used to wear green or blue) are more willing to address military issues which crop up to begin with.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just to add to that a little.

That was the National Army Spouces Association.

Done some brilliant work in highlighting issues in the Defence Forces at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

To the best of my knowledge the Australians have had a military union for a very long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Just to add to that a little.

That was the National Army Spouces Association.

Done some brilliant work in highlighting issues in the Defence Forces at the time.
    Remember them well.
    I was asked by them to go on "Today Tonight" and be interviewed.
    I had just left the army with regret in order to earn a half decent living and get enough cash together to buy a house.
    A serving soldier was also interviewed, filmed in silhouette and voice disguised etc. I heard he was summoned to his C.O's office next day and dismissed from the defense forces shortly afterwards.

There was a general election shortly after and anyone who was interviewed and all their families were missing of the electorate role!
    My father, who had served 24 years in the Army lost his vote along with me, my mother and sisters and brother - despite all living in different areas.

I often wondered if any of it changed anything ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement