Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to convert two accounts into one?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    We recently moved house and thought we'd registered everything ok. It was only after ESB cut us off, have discovered that the premises actually has 2 MPRNs and 3 meters in the meter box.
    One meter (a digital smartmeter) is for the 'main' house, and the other two (day and night I believe) are for a granny flat which is attached to the house.
    We had only registered for the granny flat apparently.
    Anyway, we would like to tidy this up as there is no point having two bills with two standing charges.
    However, its not clear who needs to do what.
    On contacting ESB Networks we were told that we need to have an electrician 'do some work' and leave the 'tails' for ESB Networks to come in and do their thing.
    On talking to one electrician, he said that ESB need to do their work first and he connects the wires afterwards.
    On talking to a second electrician, he reckoned that ESB Networks could do everything and it didn't necessarily need the extra step of arranging an electrician to come along straight before or after ESB. (This would be my preferred option)

Can anyone shed light on what the correct sequence of events should be?

To complicate matters more, we are currently with Bord Gais.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi fme,

These situations can certainly be tricky. What you need to do ultimately depends upon whether or not you want power to the entire property (that is, inclusive of the granny flat).

I'm assuming you do. You see, without an electrician 'doing some work' beforehand, the wiring and sockets would not be 'merged', so to speak, and one or the other of the connections would remain without power. ESB Networks can only work to as far as the meter (including the tails); beyond that is the domain of the spark.

There are many variables (in particular, the proximity of the granny flat to the main house) that will influence the work that needs to be carried out. Also, your supplier will need to arrange any reconnections and disconnections for you (including removal of the defunct meter).

I hope this information helps.

All the best,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I have some experience of this situation as I too had a separately metered granny flat attached to my house and, of course, was getting two bills.

To merge both accounts into one, as it were, you need to get an electrician to visit the house and see exactly what needs to be done.

Have no doubt: the electrician will have to do some work to the internal wiring and that is not the domain of ESB Networks.

Having established from the electrician what he/she needs to do and when, the next thing is to contact your supplier Bord Gais- I presume both accounts are with them (if not, contact whichever supplier is responsible for the granny flat) - and ask for a disconnection and removal of the meters. (That will cost you €100 approx).

The supplier will then send a work order to ESB Networks. You should not contact ESB Networks directly.

The first thing to do though is to get an electrician to view the situation - getting advice from one over the phone without him/her seeing the set-up is no good.

The whole thing is going to cost you some money but it'll be worth it in the long run as you will not be paying two standing charges.

Regards,

Fnergg

Advertisement