Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Tattoo

Options
  • 11-11-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I'm getting married and I'd like to commerate this day by getting a Buddhist wedding symbol tattoo with her name and date as well. I'm finding it hard to locate anywhere on the internet which shows what I'm looking for. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance :D

Shazam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

You probably won't find anything either. In Buddhism, marriage is regarded as a civil matter. Monks do not officiate at weddings nor are they allowed to be present at the ceremony. Therefor, if marriage is not part of the Religion then there won't be any symbols for it.
    It's probably better to stick with Christian symbolism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

you can get a marriage dot...traditional tattooists do them...so its just done with a needle...no machine and its a simple dot...done usually by the bride and groom on the inside of the finger...and it is a buddist tradition.

I know traditional buddist tattooist Ferank Manseed is presently in Cork, in Original Skin Tattoo studio in Cork..but he's on facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1516026697

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

To which branch of Buddhism does this tradition belong? I myself follow the Theravadin teaching and as I said haven't come across it. I've spoken to friends from both the Tibetan and FWBO and their answer was the same as mine, never heard of it. Now I know we can't be expected to be total experts on all aspects of our religious beliefs , but I would have expected someone among my group of Buddhist friends to have heard of traditional tattoos, especially since at least 4 of us are involved in the tattoo industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭ordinarywoman

well Ferank is the man to talk to then, as i said you can contact him thru facebook...
    He was involved in the first tradional tattoo convention in Cork last july, and has had numerous articles in Tattooage Mag, Bizarre and Total Tattoo mag

Advertisement