Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windy Thursday

• 11-11-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

It's damn windy in Dublin. Weather warnings etc.

Is it safe or stupid to cycle home (16kms)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll be cycling.

I've never found strong winds to be dangerous really, mostly just very annoying. Be careful when riding past gateways, gaps in walls/ditches etc. when there is a strong crosswind as the sudden gust can catch you off guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll be cycling. Really only worried about my trip across the M50; 4 lanes of traffic bastardly exposed to the wind. I'll play it by ear, might go up Stocking Lane instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

I'm cycling home. Did my training this morning though, was keeping an eye on the weather forum yesterday and the way they were talking I thought it'd be a bit dodgy tonight. Quite looking forward to the commute though - 17km due north with a 33knot tailwind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

I'm looking forward to the open bike path and the tailwind - had to fight it this morning.

It's the cross-city with gaps and side streets I'm thinking of - anyway - seems to have calmed down a bit in the last 15mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Raam wrote: »
    I'll be cycling.

Shouldn't that be "I'll be freewheeling"?

With a spinnaker deployed...

Good evening for a Howth hillclimb TT though. I reckon I might manage sub 10min...

no punctures though!

went for the Schwalbe Durano in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I wouldn't.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be "I'll be freewheeling"?

With a spinnaker deployed...

Good evening for a Howth hillclimb TT though. I reckon I might manage sub 10min...

@cdaly

no punctures though!

went for the Schwalbe Durano in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no way weather stations a re gusting to 60+ knots up here mind we are getting the worst of it up here you'd be a ditch quicker than you could say where did that ditch come from up here (donegal)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Its not bad out.

Man up*

*perfect training for IM Lanza actually....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

billy.fish wrote: »
    Its not bad out.

Man up*

*perfect training for IM Lanza actually....

finner camp recorded a gust of 70knts at 3pm

thats 129kmh to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Left work early with some working-from-home stuff in the bag, in the hopes of missing the worst of it. Arrived safely. TBH, the wide swathes of mushy leaves - some quieter side streets in D2/D4 only have a car-width channel of visible tarmac - would be more of a concern. I just took the centre of the lane to be sure (to be sure).

Ride safe, all.

Now, I'd better get on with watching Countdown my afternoon of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends!

I'd be wary of sidewinds.

Myself? It's a tailwind - I sense a new personal best will be set this evening.........bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

finner camp recorded a gust of 70knts at 3pm

thats 129kmh to you

Lucky I dont live near the west coast then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Day like this is made for the indoor Turbo session. Or in my case, reading up on which Turbo I will get for Xmas from OH :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Not particularly looking forward to >60km/h crosswinds in the Phoenix Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was out in it earlier... 22kms in the Kildare Town area.. it was patchy... caught a small bit of hail which were like bullets.. Wouldnt fancy the combination of the sporadic wind and the dark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

fletch wrote: »

+1

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

36km for me today, and not a hint of wind;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have 8ft of bike to get home, with it's own built in windcatcher.

I have 8ft of bike to get home, with it's own built in windcatcher.

Eeek! What direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Southside to Northside by North Strand way. Hoping the wind will be at my back for most of it. Except for Lower Grand Canal Street which I can guarantee everyone will be a total bitch for anyone to get down

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some very strong gusting in waterford/kilkenny if its anyway similar in dublin i wouldnt cycle

Home. Safe and sound.

One heart attack moment when I got caught on the ridge on James Larkin Rd. just past Mount Prospect Avenue turn (road very patchy there. Was like cycling in a tram track.

Otherwise quite a buzz on the bike path at Clontarf/ Raheny.

Different story tomorrow morning I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Was out on the bike earlier (3ish). Cycled home from the Dublin centre to Rathfarnham without too much bother. I had a couple of moments where i was caught by cross winds and i was putting twice the effort to go half the speed! But other than that it wasn't bad. It seems to have gotten worse as the afternoon progressed though.

Wasn't too bad....few dodgy moments in the Phoenix Park but tbh I've cycled in stronger winds. Nearly came off on Hatch Street though, an incident closing Harcourt Street meant I had to go East on Hatch Street(a route I don't normally take). With the wind pushing me down the road at a fair old pace, I slipped down from a ridge in the road and the bike nearly went from me :eek:

Wasn't too bad on the way home, just took it easy, went into the drops, went to a low gear all the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

tailwind for me, bit gusty is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, not too bad, just took it easy and spun it all the way. Gusty down in the city, much more solidly windy up above Knocklyon. Sounds way worse outside now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Oddly it was actually perfectly calm for most of my trip home. Did have a bizarre moment where it went from calm to a hurricane force crosswind in the space of under a second while on a roundabout though, but I managed to get around either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

fletch wrote: »

How was it? was gonna cycle in tomorrow and would be going throught the park.

All this should have blown over by tomorrow. It'll just be normally windy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Cycled home fairly easily into the wind last night. Worst point was stopped at the lights half way home - the gusting winds made track stands too difficult!
    Nothing like the winds I experienced on Beachy Head in the UK three weeks ago. it blew the two under 14 yr olds we were walking with off their feet. Scary stuff! The two accompanying dads acted like the big kids we were and did the " lets lean into the wind with our arms out and see how far we can go". Did the best smooth criminal impressions ever! :D
    I would not have cycled in that.

Gillo wrote: »
    How was it? was gonna cycle in tomorrow and would be going throught the park.
    It wasn't too bad...cycled in this morning and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

that was a bit dangerous yesterday, down the rock road with cross winds trying to wrench the bike from me and stupid drivers weaving in and out of the cycle lanes. ... and I have to say a lot of cyclists with no lights and no idea how to deal with wind (one I went past in the middle of the bus lane on a mobile phone with an ET hood up! - an organ donor in waiting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Cycled in against the wind yesterday - no real problems, just quite slow. Struggled to get over 20kph along the more open stretches at Clontarf. Small ring all the way.

Cycling back was quite tricky with cross winds at the quays and again between Baldoyle/Portmarnock and some sections of the coast towards malahide. Some scary moments trying to figure out how hard to lean sideways into the cross-wind. Two rundabouts were especialy interesting.

To be fair car users very understanding. They game me plenty of time & room and were careful of passing me..........shock/horror I know but true all the same.

All in all didn't find any problems with the wind against/with me. It was the cross-winds that were a problem. I don't think I'd be rushing out in such heavy winds in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I found the track to be fine going home last night. Coming directly out of my work place was fun though, with the cross winds I was all over the gaff.

All in all, I expected the trip home to be more blustery and fun, but I was disappointed.

Last year when we had some high winds and rain, I went for a spin and came back from Malahide towards Portmarnock along the coast. The road was half flooded and the wind was coming in from the shore. It had me all over the place. One second I'm riding happily along on my side of the road, the next I'm head on with a car on the other side. Scary stuff.

Advertisement