Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips to Make Christmas Day easier

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A great tip for making Christmas preparation easier is to get the Mammy to do everything - it served me well for years!

However!

This year myself and the girlfriend decided to spend Christmas at hers in France. She tells me they don't do much for Christmas there. I'm having none of this.

So I decided to cook the Christmas dinner. Kinda ****ting it now. But I've go the goose ordered anyway so that's a start. I'm thinking of doing a ham too. Not sure yet though. Might get he Mam to do the rest though, that's enough I'm thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weatherguy

Posy wrote: »
    +2!! The giant pile of pots and pans is a real dampener on Christmas night. Preparing some things the night before and cleaning as you cook at least lessens the load. I've never had a dishwasher so this is a real time saver Christmas day. I hate having horrible visions of the terrible mess that awaits me in the kitchen while trying to enjoy my dinner!

We all have our chores to do pre and post xmas dinner.
    One buys the necessary food etc
    Two prepare dinner, one sets table on xmas eve.
    Two more do clean up, washing, cleaning the mess etc.
    We all chuck in €50 each to pay for the dinner etc and drinks.
    We all go to bed around 11pm as we get up early on Stephen's Day for a long walk.
    We leave home at 8am and are back by 11am.
    The same rota applies for the second dinner of the festive season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

As well as trying to get as much as possible prepared for the dinner I try to get other bits around the house done too. I only light a small fire late on christmas eve so there is no need to take out ashes the next morning. I make sure that we get lots of buckets of coal in. I give the house an extra good clean make sure washing baskets are empty! These few extras mean there is more time to enjoy the day and laze out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

astra2000 wrote: »
    As well as trying to get as much as possible prepared for the dinner I try to get other bits around the house done too. I onlu light a small fire late on christmas eve so there is no need to take out ashes the next morning. I make sure that we get lots of buckets of coal in. I give the house an extra good clean make sure washing baskets are empty! These few extras mean there is more time to enjoy the day and laze out!

I have to do that myself too with the laundry basket - if all the sheets on all the beds are not changed on Christmas Eve and if the laundry baskets are full then it actually puts a dampener on Christmas for me - christmas eve morning everyone has to come down with their sheets in their hands. They all get fresh or new sheets and new pajamas to do up their beds for Christmas eve. its a tradition. Thought I was the only one that was a bit anal about this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have to do that myself too with the laundry basket - if all the sheets on all the beds are not changed on Christmas Eve and if the laundry baskets are full then it actually puts a dampener on Christmas for me - christmas eve morning everyone has to come down with their sheets in their hands. They all get fresh or new sheets and new pajamas to do up their beds for Christmas eve. its a tradition. Thought I was the only one that was a bit anal about this. :D

As kids we always got new pajamas for Christmas eve and I still treat myself to a new pair each year. Christmas would not be the same without it. We always got new PJs to wake up in on our birthday morning.

Most of our bed linen is white so I always get some kind of christmas coloured throw to add some festive sparkle.

Sorry for going off topic.

I made a chocolate cake for christmas last night which is now happilly living in the freezer until Christmas eve. Also made a really luch leek, smoky bacon and potato soup with a load of cream in it for St Stephens day, again in the freezer. Will make the soup for Christmas day over the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

As kids we always got new pajamas for Christmas eve and I still treat myself to a new pair each year. Christmas would not be the same without it. We always got new PJs to wake up in on our birthday morning.

Most of our bed linen is white so I always get some kind of christmas coloured throw to add some festive sparkle.

Sorry for going off topic.

I made a chocolate cake for christmas last night which is now happilly living in the freezer until Christmas eve. Also made a really luch leek, smoky bacon and potato soup with a load of cream in it for St Stephens day, again in the freezer. Will make the soup for Christmas day over the next week.

nice one - I am emptying out my freezer this week and next to make room for the desserts/meats/soups, etc over the Christmas time. Its a lucky dip as to what we have for dinner this weather. :D

Advertisement