Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essentials for first couple of days

Options
  • 11-11-2010 4:31pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I decided at the beginning of my pregnancy that we would take the baby straight to my parents house from the Hospital.. For a few reasons, mainly so my Mother can help me find my feet, this being my first baby, also I wanted to give my family a chance to spend time with the baby as we live quite far from them, and I wanted to lie low for a few days, give myself time to adjust before we had people round visiting us etc at home..

So, my question is.. What will I need for those few days? I'm bringing the Moses basket and some clothes etc over there this weekend.. I know obviously to bring plenty of nappies, milk etc.. Do I need to bring the bath? Do baby's need to be bathed in the first few days or will topping and tailing do the job??

Anything that I might not think of off the top of my head? I don't want to get there with the baby and realise we're missing something really important..

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

One thing that might be worth noting is that your public health nurse will be visiting you in that time. Maybe you should ring the hospital or your public health nurse before you go in (as in now, not when you're in labour obviously!) and find out how that'd work. I know I had to confirm what address I would be at when I went home for the home-midwife (I lived within a catchment area for this) and then the public health nurse to visit. If you live a distance from your parents, you'll probably be in the catchment of two different nurses so this may require co-ordination between them.

As far as your original question is concerned, a few moses basket sheets are a good idea - nappies can leak! formula, bottles and steriliser also needed if you're not breastfeeding, although not a bad idea to have even if you are! while you're not recommended to bathe your baby in the first few days, there may be dirty nappies to which the only sane solution is to wash the baby! this can be done in a sink (although if it's a dirty nappy bath, the kitchen sink is best avoided!! :eek: )

Don't forget things for yourself too - tea tree oil for stitches, loads of STs, loads of comfy underwear and clothes/pjs.

It's a great idea though - having food made for ye will take a lot of the pressure off, and don't get me started on the influx of well-meaning visitors in the first few days!

Best of luck with it all, anymore questions, just post them up here!! Was in the same situation myself a year ago so happy to pass on advice!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

topping and tailing should do,

i know a few that over bathed their babies and gave them very dry skin, also in this weather house would want to be warm (for topping and tailing and bathing), babies in general don't like being bathed it takes a few months for them to learn to joys of water.

babies mainly sleep for first few days so no need to bring entertainment.

baby blanket
    sudo cream/nappy rash cream (nappy rash can come on quite quick, my goy got it on his 2nd day, he didnt fare well in huggys and needed pampers)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Sanitary towels for those who have just given birth (well, I did not know anything about them) - a few packs are a great idea. Vaseline and lots of baby wipes. Your first few days will go by in a blur but whenever you see your new baby's eyes your heart will melt. You are going to have so much fun - huge hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think it's all been covered. We've found on 2 babies now that a blow drier (for your hair like) warming them (very gently obviously) while they get their nappy changed seriously reduces the trauma. If you're bottle feeding don't forget the steriliser. Microwave ones are good for travelling if you haven't bought one already. I'd suggest some nice bath time stuff too. It's good to have a soak when you get out of the hospital.

Oh, alcohol wipes for the belly button bit. Not sure if they give you them in the hospital or not. It's mad how quickly I forget what we actually did during those first days.

Good luck with it mrs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

THose little hats for their heads.
    Nipple cream if you are breastfeeding.
    I wish I bought a white noise machine, I think that would have helped tremendously.
    I gave my son sponge baths rather than real baths and be careful with the soap, not advisable.

Good luck and congratulations.

Oh... and a camera...

• Advertisement

I wish I bought a white noise machine, I think that would have helped tremendously.
    We only got one at 7 months for our son - will also highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

What does a white noise machine do?

What does a white noise machine do?
    http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-prince-lionheart-slumber-bear-plus-/883317100/type-i/ this is the one we have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks everyone, never would have thought of using a hair dryer to warm the baby during changing time.. Good idea :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cathy, that white noise link doesn't work.

What do them things do?

Hairdrier!! Gas job, never heard of that before.

Ours is due on 6th Jan, said we wouldn't buy before the birth but got a snuggly winter suit there last week, like a bug in a rug! :)

I think the theme tune in our house will be "The times they are a changing" :)

• Advertisement

http://mothercare.ie/ContentBuilder/DisplayPage.aspx?DataId=DA000115 The slumber bears in that link (the other link works for me :eek:).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Cathy, I see it now in that link! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Plenty of pj's for u as you might have leaks both boobs and down there if bleeding is heavy. Pleaty of pads, I bought 3 packs and end up buying about 4 more. I used a lot of muslims clothes when my baby was born as she used to drool a lot and sheet would be soaked. Plenty of clothes for baby, loads of dribblers I didn't have enough in hosp. Those little gloves they put on babies, my baby had long nails when born and i was terrified to cut them. At the end of the day if your missing something there will be plenty of people to help out or run out and buy.

I would suggest having trial run of washing bottles and using sterlisers as we only did this after we got home and when ur exhausted it can be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I would like to recommend the tweezerman baby scissors. More expensive but by far the best and easiest to use. Might not seem important now but when you see how sqiggly these little things are you will know what Im talking about.

Advertisement