Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea part company with Wilkins

• 11-11-2010 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea have announced they are not renewing the contract of assistant manager Ray Wilkins and that he is to leave the club with immediate effect.

Wilkins, 54, rejoined Chelsea's coaching staff for a second time in 2008 to work under Luiz Felipe Scolari.
    He stayed when Guus Hiddink came in and remained when Carlo Ancelotti was named manager ahead of the 2009-2010 season.
    Chelsea's chief executive Ron Gourlay said: "I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea."
    He added: "We all wish him well for the future."
    Wilkins - who enjoyed a distinguished playing career with spells at Chelsea, Manchester United, AC Milan and QPR amongst others - was on the bench for the clubs 1-0 win over Fulham on Wednesday.

No reason has been given for the decision not to renew the contract of Wilkins, who managed QPR and Fulham in the mid-1990s.
    Chelsea are the reigning Premier League champions, and top this season's table with just under a third of the fixtures gone.
    Wilkins is a fluent Italian speaker, and has been credited with maintaining strong links between the players and the coaching staff at Stamford Bridge.

Bit of a suprise, I thought he was doing well there, have seen him on Sky before and was very impressed with his knowledge of the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yoink. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Is the chelsea fc thread not enough to discuss this. We dont need a thread for everything ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Is the chelsea fc thread not enough to discuss this. We dont need a thread for everything ffs.

If Liverpool can get away with it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Assistant managers role is v. Important and therefore I felt it could be discussed on a new thread.

You can bet your ass if Mike Phelan left Utd all of a sudden there would be a new thread, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Shocked.He got on so well with the players and was a great guy..Wonder what happend.Maybe he wants a shot at management or something?He'd do well i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Assistant managers role is v. Important and therefore I felt it could be discussed on a new thread.

You can bet your ass if Mike Phelan left Utd all of a sudden there would be a new thread, and rightly so.

But to the 99.99% of us who aren't Chelsea fans, its beyond irrelevant to our lives. The club superforums are for the minutae of random foreign sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just reading it there. A weird time to let a contract run to. Most contracts run to end of seasons so for it to run out mid november is strange.

I wonder what happened

Soby wrote: »
    Shocked.He got on so well with the players and was a great guy..Wonder what happend.Maybe he wants a shot at management or something?He'd do well i reckon.

Yeah it's a strange one. But the fact Chelsea said they wern't renewing his contract would lead me to believe they wanted him out. For what reasons, who knows?

Yeah I'd reckon he'd do well as a manager. Will be interesting to see what he does next. I'm assuming he'l go back to Sky and do some work there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

But to the 99.99% of us who aren't Chelsea fans, its beyond irrelevant to our lives. The club superforums are for the minutae of random foreign sides.

I find it hard to believe that 00.01 % of users of this forum are Chelsea supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ah here.

Why don't we just make the Soccer forum a selection of megathreads, one for each team then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Lads, it's not up to you whether or not a topic deserves it's own thread. So don't discuss it on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who is mike phelan ?????

Oh dear....

united_800108c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Missed a chance to say he'll be moving sidewards into a new role.

Only old farts will probably get that lame joke. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

stovelid wrote: »

ani-crab.gif

Nothing like a good sidewards pass.
    :D

I'm not an old fart tho.

Le King wrote: »
    I'm not an old fart tho.

Yeah yeah. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Who is mike phelan ?????

YORE MA :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The crab :pac:

Some quotes from Ancelotti's autobiography, he obviously thought highly of him:
    "Ray is one of those select few, always present, noble in spirit, a real blue-blood, Chelsea flows in his veins. His heart beats in two languages, and that helped me," he wrote.
    "Without him, we couldn't have won a thing, and in particular we would not have started the year at supersonic speed."

Who is mike phelan ?????

??!

Assistant manager at MUFC. Played for United in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Newcastle looking for an assistant to Chris Hughton? Coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a strange time to get rid of him must have been a falling out behind the scenes.he should have no problems getting an assistants job.dont know if he would become a manager again he didnt really have much luck with the first 2 attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Twitter has rumours of an incident last night, from one of the Times journos.

My money is on JT being involved.

My money is on JT being involved.

Surely Wilkin's mot would be too old for even JT to ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

99.99% !!! A bit harsh !!

out of interest since you highlight Chelsea being a foreign side, I take it you don't support an English club ?

you follow league of Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Im not a chelsea fan and found this thread more interesting than the "nani vs bale" threads.

Fairly surprised at the decision, would be nice to see zola back at the bridge and learn from one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Surely Wilkin's mot would be too old for even JT to ride?

Maybe JT is trying to replicate Rooney

The guardian are claiming they sacked him because Ancelloti wanted ''fresh ideas''.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/11/ray-wilkins-chelsea-carlo-ancelotti

Very puzzling. As somebody else already pointed out, there rumours doing the rounds on twitter that an incident happend last night which fuelled his departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Was listening to off the ball this evening and some journo was on saying Wilkins didn't actually do much with the team, he was initially brought in because Scolari couldn't speak English and Wilkins knew the EPL better than him.
    He also reckoned it could have been for financial reasons, bit like Belleti, Cole, Ballack and Deco being let go in the summer, all decent players just apparently not worth the money.

Advertisement