Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting Part L

Options
  • 11-11-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am currently doing a prelim BER and am struggling to meet the Part L, without over specing the solar.

My plan is to go with a condensing oil bioler with UFH, Solar and a wood burning stove.
    With my proposed setup my assessor is at 9.18kWh/m2.
    The solar spec is for 30 tubes and a 300 litre tank, per the manufacturer.

I can make it to 10 by upping this to 400L and 40 tubes, but I really think this is overkill. We are a family of 4, with no plans to expand and I don't like spending unnecessary money for no benefit.

Any other ideas for Part L contribution?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a few q's

total Floor Area:
    GF area:
    Exposed perimeter
    Elemenetal u values:
    (walls)
    (floors)
    (roofs)
    (windows)

heating controls:

expected air tightness result (input 10 if none):

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wolfhound14

Hi Syd

Answers:
    267sqm - its a split bungalow, so its all GF
    Not sure what you mean by exposed perimeter, the total perimeter is about 100 linear metres, thats taken from adding all external corners
    Walls - 0.15
    Floor 0.15
    Roof, I have a couple of semi-vaulted areas, these are rigid board planned to 0.18, total of 30sqm, the rest is planned at 0.15 and thats about 250sqm
    Windows - Aluclad avg u 1.2

Heating Controls: Planning heatmiser programmable stats in each room with a central controller. (Not sure if this answers)

Air Tight - we have assumed 3. (Is this relevant to Part L? If so I would much rather spend the money trying to get this down than adding unnecessary solar)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

those seem like very good values to be inputting and therefore im surprised your struggling to meet part l

id suggest a few things

1. definitely do not use the default values for solar collectors, go to the harp database and select a solar tube manufacturer and input their certified data. the default values are very very bad.

2. heating controls, input full time and temperature zoned control. include for a weather compensator.

3. check again that you have secondary heating fuel as wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

sydthebeat wrote: »
    check again that you have secondary heating fuel as wood
    Can normally only do this for a wood pellet stove, ie incapable of burning any other types of solid fuel.

Advertisement