Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: The dog wardens comin' a knocking....

Options
  • 11-11-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

It seems that the dog wardens are calling to peoples houses now to do spot checks! This was a scam doing the rounds for a long time but this morning on the Animals & Pets section here on boards, a resident of Tullamore said the official warden called to her house on a random house visit (he did her whole estate) and fined her for her dogs being ON HER OWN PROPERTY (i.e in the house & secure back garden with no access to the outside) without their collars on. She said that these spot checks have been advertised in her local post office. I havn't seen anything around Portlaoise though.

So just a word to you all to be cautious. First off, if someone identifying themselves as a dog warden comes to your house, be very, very wary of scammers. This has been going on for the last 2 or 3 years. Secondly, a dog warden has no power to enter your premises so even if they persist, refuse. Only a Garda can enter your premises (with a warrant). Thirdly, if a "warden" calls and issues a fine, ring the council and make sure he was the actual dog warden. If he wasn't, call the cops.

Personally I think this is ridiculous. If I'm out in public without a dog licence, with no collar and tag and my dog is running free being a pain in the hole then yes, by all means fine me. If my dogs are asleep on my kitchen floor with their collars off, they'll not get a penny for them being "un-collared".

I'm not putting this up here for people to avoid the law, but I think fining people for what they do in the privacy of their own homes is mental! The law states rather blankly that
    6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.
    so it's open to interpretation and that's how they getcha. Keep your dogs in the kitchen if the doorbell rings!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I never answer the door unless expecting someone or they call me while outside the house. So, everyone else can go and ****e!

My dogs are licensed. I have them wear their collars while on walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

this girl was feeding them in the kitchen when he knocked and he gave her 3 €30 fines cos she'd taken their collars/tags off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

she said she rang them and the person on the phone sympathised with her and could see her point about them being inside but it's the law, end of story. I think its a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

If someone tried that **** we would chase them out of esker hills :)

• Advertisement

Bicky wrote: »
    If someone tried that **** we would chase them out of esker hills :)
    My sentiments exactly but I'd chase them out with a hurley, not with the dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

That **** did the same with my mom,my mom was out and came home to find a letter in the door from him,he took the 3 dogs out the garden and back to the pound said they were reported to have frightned sheep,wanted 900 euro to get them back,or he putting them down,some for board for dogs and some to pay farmer for dead sheep,he also threatened her outside house when he came back to speak to her,lucky she had it on cctv,managed to get half the money back when she reported him to ispca.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

the control of dogs act 1998 gives them the power to issue fines for any breaches. they cannot enter your property and seize your dogs, only the gardaí can do this. however, 99% of people don't know this and they surrender the dogs to the warden. if this happens and you surrender the.dog, the warden makes you sign for it. if you sign that piece of paper you have no comeback at all as you are effectively handing ownership of the dog over to them and they can out it to sleep if they wish. Spurs what happened your Mam is scandalous! if you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the details of the fines issued, what breaches of the act occurred, did she sign over the dogs and such? I'm just curious about the circumstances. I'm sure its obvious from my sig that I'm a big dog person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Would take a lot more than a warden to take my dogs from me, thats for sure. It seems this is just another way to take money from the poor of the country during our recessionary times. They didnt seem to be too worried about any of this when the country was spewing money out its hole. I have enough financial trouble trying to keep my dogs healthy, happy and full of food without this bull****.

Cheers for the warning/advice man, good to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement