Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT type moderate,i want open

• 11-11-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

My NAT type is moderate,im trying to change it to open
    ive done everything possible according to the internet. open and forwarded ports,enabled upnp,gave a static ip to my xbox, entered the settings manually on the dashboard,added this ip to the dmz on my router. yet i am still moderate

Can anyone help. Im using a Belkin router and my ISP is Smart

Cheers
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

May Feign wrote: »
    My NAT type is moderate,im trying to change it to open
    ive done everything possible according to the internet. open and forwarded ports,enabled upnp,gave a static ip to my xbox, entered the settings manually on the dashboard,added this ip to the dmz on my router. yet i am still moderate

Can anyone help. Im using a Belkin router and my ISP is Smart

Cheers
    Niall

Hi Niall, you'll find a sticky at the top of the forum about NAT. First off, either use the DMZ or open ports, not both as they'll conflict. Also , try rebooting you router. Plug it out for 30 seconds. This will also the firmware to reboot. Are you using wireless or a wired connection?

Please repost and reply in the proper thread so people can easily read about your experience.

Either Walshy or I will get you sorted. You may have to start from scratch again. I'd recommend resetting the defaults on the xbox and the router and start over by putting it in the DMZ only, it's easier. Walshy's walkthrough is excellent. Follow it carefully.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

im fearful of resetting everything as i recollect it took me ages to assign a static ip to my pc and i think i forget how to do so
    im using a wireless connection.
    apologies for not seeing the sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Assigning a static I.P for the pc is very easy but this has no relation to the static I.P you assign to the xbox?
    Btw try a wired connection if you can that is.

i cant try a wired as my laptop and xbox are upstairs and the phone line,main pc,router etc is downstairs

o,k. i resetted to factory defaults,router and xbox
    assigned the xbox an i.p 192.168.2.4. entered usual subnet and used the gateway from the cmd prompt

however on dns settings, i think may be the problem, if i enter the OPs in the sticky settings i cannot connecto to xbox live at all
    if i use 192.168.1.1 as primary and 192.168.2.1 as secondary i am now able to connect but again my nat is moderate

i added the xbox ip to dmz and enabled UPnP

So despondent right now :(

I just noticed this on my router homepage

15eeez6.jpg

does the static ip listed mean anything. the private ip is my xbox

• Advertisement

i have also noticed the gateway address obtained from the cmd prompt differs from the gateway on my router homepage
    i dont know if this makes any difference,i just want to make all the info available as possible

ri93kk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

just looking at you screens i notice that it says nat enabled is there an option to disable this if there is disable it

i did a quick search and it seems lots of people are having problems like yours

also did you try opening the ports instead of putting it in dmz
    Question
    How To Configure The (Modem-)Router For The X-Box Live, Which Ports To Forward?

Answer
    In order to configure the Modem Router to connect to X-Box Live you need to forward the following Ports to the X-Box:
    UDP 88
    UDP 3074
    tcp 3074

In order to find out the IP Address of your X-Box look in the Network Settings of the X-box Dashboard.

For more details on how to configure the port forwarding, please check the manual.

[QUOTE=May Feign;68974551
    o,k. i resetted to factory defaults,router and xbox
    assigned the xbox an i.p 192.168.2.4. entered usual subnet and used the gateway from the cmd prompt

however on dns settings, i think may be the problem, if i enter the OPs in the sticky settings i cannot connecto to xbox live at all
    if i use 192.168.1.1 as primary and 192.168.2.1 as secondary i am now able to connect but again my nat is moderate
    [/QUOTE]

You can use any open DNS servers, some are faster than others but it doesn't effect your in-game ping. DNS is used by XBL but the data being streamed during the game doesn't use DNS, it uses the UDP protocol to transfer data which doesn't require confirmation of the data being received. It's faster but ultimately some data goes missing en route.
    Try google's open DNS servers to see if it makes a difference 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4

I just noticed this on my router homepage

15eeez6.jpg

does the static ip listed mean anything. the private ip is my xbox

Don't worry about this. You've the important part right.
    i have also noticed the gateway address obtained from the cmd prompt differs from the gateway on my router homepage
    i dont know if this makes any difference,i just want to make all the info available as possible

ri93kk.jpg
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    just looking at you screens i notice that it says nat enabled is there an option to disable this if there is disable it

i did a quick search and it seems lots of people are having problems like yours

also did you try opening the ports instead of putting it in dmz

As Dunworth said, disable the NAT, it may be as simple as that.

Also, enable your firewall. As long as you have either the correct ports opened or the xbox in the DMZ, there's no reason to have your firewall switched off. It'll be safer for every other device that you have connected to your network.

It would also be worth calling your ISP to see if they would issue you with a Static IP, instead of a Dynamic one. I got one from mine for no extra cost but I was having a very geeky conversation with the tech guy in customer support, so it may have just been a favour he extended to me :o

Try those suggestions and come back to us to let us know how you get on. This may sound silly but it's also important to remember to unplug both your xbox and router after you've saved your new settings. Allow 30 seconds for all the power to drain completely and then plug them back in. Let your router boot up for around a minute or so, then switch on the xbox, this will give the router time to setup properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

this is the way i have mine set i dont know if its right or not.i set it for 1 bit torrent and one xbox 360 so i dont know why theres three of them

naughto wrote: »
    this is the way i have mine set i dont know if its right or not.i set it for 1 bit torrent and one xbox 360 so i dont know why theres three of them

You could also open up port 53 for both TCP & UDP and port 80 for TCP only.

• Advertisement

tried disabling the nat and that shagged up me router,couldnt connect to anything,had to reset it

tried disabling the nat and that shagged up me router,couldnt connect to anything,had to reset it

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D8231-4/Xbox_Live_360.htm

Also, just a thought, have you tried turning off the WEP security? Just leave it open and try it to see if that's where the problem is.

If you still can't get this router to work, try installing a different firmware on it. I know Tomato (which I use) isn't available for your router but look into DD-WRT or OpenWrt. Either of those firmwares would be far superior to the standard one.

Advertisement