Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old air rifle

Options
  • 11-11-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I was asked today by alad if u had an air rifle which had been forgotten about for years ,and recently found would you be able re-license it or what would you have to do?would u have no choice but to hand it in for destruction as its unlicensed!?i wasnt sure what he would have to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

It can, and should be, re-licenced (assuming the bloke wants to keep it).

First thing to do though is to get down to your local RFD sharpish and get the rifle into storage - Your mate is currently in possession of an unlicenced firearm, so it's not a good idea to hold onto it. So, if he does want to keep it and licence it, get the rifle into your friendly neighbourhood RFD for storage ASAP.

Then apply for a new licence in the usual way, paying particular attention to Section 3.3 of the FCA1 form (Source of Firearm). It's not clear from your post whether or not this firearm was ever licenced in the past, but this will obviously have a bearing on the application.

Hope that's some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Happened to a mate of mine last yr when his granda died. friendly guard wrote a letter so he could hand it into RFD and then he applied for the licence in the normal way. dont think he has used it once since he got it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If it was lost and found then he obviously is unlicensed so the first thing to do is get it to a dealers and have it stored. Get a letter to the same.

Get an FCA1 and apply for the license again. If he was previously licensed on it then he will walk the application as previous ownership will suffice for competency. In the "source of the firearm" (Section 3.3) ths is only for someone that has not been previously licensed on the firearm in the previous 3 years. I'm not 100% on what to do here as he has not had it licensed for years, but was in possession of it, unknowingly as it was.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

ok cool thanks,ijust wasnt sure if he went to guard would they do him for it,or should he get it relicensed

If he doesn't want it then go to Garda station and hand it in or to an RFD and get a letter stating it was surrended for sale/destruction, but if he intends to license it get it to an RFD to hold/store until his license comes through. For his own sake.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

wasnt sure if he went to guard would they do him for it

Just to be on the safe side - If he does not want to licence it (and I'm assuming it was never licenced to him in the first place), then he should phone the Guards and tell them has found this Air Rifle and ask them what he should do.

I'd strongly advise against walking into a Garda Station with a firearm (licenced or unlicenced) of any sort, without first calling ahead and clearing it with them.

He's still in possession of an unlicenced firearm, so get it to the Station NOW - not tonight, not tomorrow, not ah-sure-I'll-sort-it-in-a-couple-of-days-like, but right now once a phone call is made to the Station first.

If he does want to keep it (or is unsure), he should hightail to the RFD now and hand over the rifle for storage until he decides what he'd like to do.

That all said, there is still the slight distant possibility that he could still be "done for it". He is, after all, in possession of an unlicenced firearm. So what he does now will dictate what way the Guards want to deal with the matter. Best for him to contact them or the RFD immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

I find it really amusing that anyone is worried about posessing an air rifle but then i live in the u.s.a and dont have a liscence for any of my handguns, shotguns or rifles

I find it really amusing that anyone is worried about posessing an air rifle but then i live in the u.s.a and dont have a liscence for any of my handguns, shotguns or rifles

That's nice for you.:rolleyes::D

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    ............ i live in the u.s.a and dont have a liscence for any of my handguns, shotguns or rifles

What state?

I'd like to know as i thought most states had laws regarding handguns. 3 to 7 days up to 3 weeks "cooling off" period where they check out the person and then the handgun is registered to you. Also some states, i thought, required a registration of shotguns and rifle. I know most do not, but i thought some did.

Am i wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

When I was in cabellas in Buda Tx they told me that they were the easiest state to get a rifle, you could walk out that day with a .5 single shot armalite rifle, but 28 days for a pistol:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

bazza888 wrote: »
    I was asked today by alad if u had an air rifle which had been forgotten about for years ,and recently found would you be able re-license it or what would you have to do?would u have no choice but to hand it in for destruction as its unlicensed!?i wasnt sure what he would have to do

Doing the "right" thing as you see it (going to local station) might well end up with you been arrested and questioned for several hours :(

Ah sure its only an old air rifle, does not compute with the Gardai. You might as well have an RPG for all they know and one member who is keen to move up the ranks might hope to find his promotion by raiding your home (to see if you have anything else you have forgotten about) or calling to your house one morning at 6 and questioning you under section 30 of the offences against the state for several hours.

I live in California , law is 10 day waiting period for all firearms if you buy from a dealer,
    handguns one a month and no waiting period for c& r face to face , no restrictions on ammunition except armor piercing .

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Any idea of make and model or year of manufacture,,just curious to whether its classed as an antique or old classic some of which are worth a lot of money to a collector.
    if not and its just old then maybe its not worth licencing.
    You will have to get permission from a farmer/landowner or club membership and provide secure storage etc. then pay 80 euros for the 3 year licence.
    if its valuable then it might be worth the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    I live in California , law is 10 day waiting period for all firearms if you buy from a dealer,
    handguns one a month and no waiting period for c& r face to face , no restrictions on ammunition except armor piercing .
    c&r??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

c&r??

Curio and Relic

c&r??

bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms publish a list of firearms they consider to be curio and relics , if a firearm is on this list its a c&r .

Advertisement