Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin, so underated....

Options
  • 11-11-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hows it going, just thought id see what other peoples thoughts and views on darwin are,
    I lived their for 18 months and it was the best place ever... arrived on a friday in january from dublin and started work on the monday doing shuttering in the blistering heat and 100% humidity. took me a week or so of having wobbly legs and dehydration before i was grand. then i went out to a mine in rum jungle to work which was even hotter but for 55 dollars an hour and bed and board paid for i couldt resist, kept the apartment in duke st while i was their and came back every 3 weeks to live it up.

anyone else any memories or experiences of darwin??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublin15_2009

I stayed in Darwin for a few weeks earlier this year absolutly loved the place and was raging I hadnt went there earlier and worked . Savage craic to be had !!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ks652

I was there for only a few days. Smaller that I expected but I really enjoyed the place. Jumping crocs everywhere lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's to Hot and full of abbos asleep in the street, stayed there for a few weeks but got a bit bored, ended up going a little more south and worked in coral bay, loved that place. It's paradise, well worth sticking around and getting a little job. Life is cheap there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

jaysusake wrote: »
    Hows it going, just thought id see what other peoples thoughts and views on darwin are,
    I lived their for 18 months and it was the best place ever... arrived on a friday in january from dublin and started work on the monday doing shuttering in the blistering heat and 100% humidity. took me a week or so of having wobbly legs and dehydration before i was grand. then i went out to a mine in rum jungle to work which was even hotter but for 55 dollars an hour and bed and board paid for i couldt resist, kept the apartment in duke st while i was their and came back every 3 weeks to live it up.

anyone else any memories or experiences of darwin??

55 dollars an hour???? what sort of work is this exactly? can anyone do it or are there certain requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysusake

55 dollars an hour???? what sort of work is this exactly? can anyone do it or are there certain requirements?

Its shuttering carpentry.... forming colums, walls, paths ect in timber before concrete is poured and they are formed. Its a trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Of all the cities in Australia, I found Darwin to be the worst. Granted I was broke, the weather was unbearably hot and I had to keep jumping hostels after a week as it was high season and you had to book out after a week everywhere. Getting a trip out to the second worst place Kununarra seemed like a breath of fresh air at the time.

Darwin was expensive, and boring. One street, with aborigines going bat sh*t crazy in the sun. Never again do I want to visit that place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It's more a place to visit rather than stay for a while. The weather from May to September would mostly be very nice, dry and in the 30s. The other part of the year is meant to be very humid with cloudy skies and thunderstorms. It's good to see as it's totally different from the main cities. It's quite small. Yes there are the Aboriginals, but it's good to see their life as well. It also gives you great access to the national parks of Litchfield and Kakadu, which are both fantastic..so much history and beautiful places to swim. It's not cheap, only a little cheaper than the major cities, but definitely worth a visit. Could stopoff on way to Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hated it with a passion, was there 2 months and 6 weeks of that spent trying to get the money to get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

nm wrote: »
    Hated it with a passion, was there 2 months and 6 weeks of that spent trying to get the money to get out of there.

I was in the same boat. Had -$200 dollars in the account and luckily the owner of the big hostel across the road from Melaluca on Mitchell St gave me a job at his mothers house and was a bit relaxed on accommodation payments. The day I left I breathed a sigh of relief.

Advertisement