Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love to sleep with my dog. Do you?

• 11-11-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My dog is a wonderful hot water bottle. He is a king charles spaniel so his fur is silky soft on my bare skin. If I am ever widowed I am going to buy as many dogs as it takes to cover my entire king sized bed. why do people think this is gross??????:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

why do people find this gross? i dont. i bring mine up to bed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I regularly fall asleep on my dog/dog's bed after a drunken night out :P

First thing I do when I come in at 4am is have the chats with them, eventually lie down, then snooze!

I wouldn't have the dogs sleep on my actual bed only because I would end up kicking them off by mistake, and also they can't get up and down the stairs (spiral).

The only think that would be a negative for me I guess is that one of my guys is short haired, and hate having to try get rid of the hairs! They just stick to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Why not?...cause if i let her in there the next thing she will have the remote and control of the tv too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nope... the bed is for the cats and there would be havoc if the dogs got there too.

And the cats if they get accidentally kicked off have a woolly nest under the bed....

The dogs are just too big .

Dogs downstairs; cats upstairs.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Graces7 wrote: »

Dogs downstairs; cats upstairs.;)
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It's cats and dog on the bed in this house.

In fact it's dog under the covers, cat on top of the covers. Only one of the cats likes the bed though.

I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Dogs in their bed & me in mine. The Puppy farts are too lethal to sleep with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

My dog sleeps on the bed. She is a Yorkie.
    She tends to sleep over the covers, at my legs and when I move, she moves with me.
    When my OH is away, she sleeps up on his side, nearer to me... I love having her in the bed. I feel safer, might sound funny, but she is a great guard dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My last dog slept on my bed with me every night when I lived on my own, even when I met my (now) husband, he still slept on the bed with us. Our dog we have now used to sleep in the bedroom with us but on his own bed, now we've moved and have stairs and he just refuses to go up the stairs for whatever reason we don't know (he's a rescue) so he sleeps downstairs on his bed next to the stove with the cat, he's quite happy but I miss him in the bedroom with us, especially if husband is out for the night and I want to go up to bed early, but not even tempting him with cheese will get him upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

My lad loves to sleep on and in my bed - he gets comfy up on top of the duvet at first, on his back with his legs in the air. Then he wakes at some point and tunnels down underneath the covers to be a lovely hot water bottle:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

As pups the dogs were allowed upstairs, they'd jump up on the bed no bother, black Cocker would tunnel down to my feet and lie there, grumbling if you twitched your toes, and golden Cocker would crawl under the covers and then end up with her head on the pillow and spoon!! She had(and still has) the smelliest feet i have ever come across in my life, so it was hard to relax with them both there-one giving out if she was disturbed and the other stinking up the room! Sadly we're down to just the golden Cocker now, and she can't jump up on the bed by herself now, still has the B.O. though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Personally, I love having the dogs beside me on the bed. After my grandmother died, I had problems sleeping - things always seem that much worse at three in the morning for some reason - and just reaching out and feeling a soft ear gave me so much comfort. Sometimes I wake up to find one of them lying with her head on my shoulder. The other one generates heat 356 days a year and likes to lie on my legs at night. During the winter, it's warm and toasty. During the humid summer, I wake up scotched to within an inch of my life, wondering if I'm dying of fever until I realise who's lying on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My dog being a Westie has her own bed which lives in my bed so she can be a bit higher up (Westies love to get up as high as possible). I had to resort to this as when I woke up in the morning she'd be stretched out on the pillows and I'd be half way down the bed with a sore neck or she'd be lying stretched out on top of my face :rolleyes: During the day she has her naps on the back of the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our cat slept on my bed for 6 years (until he died)- if i was away from home or on holiday I'd have to put a cushion or fleece at the end of the bed or I wouldn't be able to sleep!! :pac: When we got the pup he slept in his crate in my room and then made it on to the bed when he was toilet trained but once he got lame I couldn't risk him slipping on the stairs etc so had to stop letting him up :( I miss my little bed warmer lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I'm home my dog always sleep in my bed and the rest sleep upstairs in my parents room. I love when they go away because then I get 3 dogs and they are so warm and cuddly. My dog, Logan, is really big and always hogs the entire bed. I have to pull all the covers on to my side or I'd be freezing for the night :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well I'm actually wondering where I'm going to sleep tonight. As we're right on the west coast, the storm is hitting us with full force, so all of the dogs are safely inside the house. At the moment there are 6 dogs on my bed, none of them small dogs! One of my dogs likes to share my pillow, and another one has to sleep next to me under the duvet, he is the best hot water bottle I've ever had. Another one sleeps at my feet under the duvet, but she usually gets too hot and moves at some point during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I think if I had a non shedding breed I would allow them on the bed but no way Im letting my basset up on the bed way too much slobber and hair! He sleeps in a basket in my room but if I come in drunk he can expect me to cuddle on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

ISDW, share a picture!

We have a Cav too and she starts the night in her own bed, listens out for the snores and usually ends up in ours. I don't mind, it's cosy. The farts are a killer but she doesn't seem to mind :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Saw this on the front page and thought "Doesn't that belong in personal issues?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:p Not an issue if you're happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

At the moment my Chi is under the covers on my feet, Rottie is one side of the bed on the mat, Spitz on the other side. Before I go asleep my Chi will go into her crate in the kitchen, Spitz will go into the box room on his bed and the Rottie will stay where she is.
    Cat is downstairs in her bed next to the radiator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My dogs sleep downstairs but when hubby goes away I bring them all upstairs. Mind you, that doesnt last long, me plus 6 dogs doesnt make a decent night's sleep! The 2 terriers want to be under the duvet, another 2 dogs want to sleep on either side of me, someone else wants to sleep on my pillow, someone sits on a terrier they can't see cos it's under the duvet and then someone ends up getting nipped (normally me!)

So at some point in the early hours of the morning I end up screiking that everyone has to get off my bed!! And then repeat the whole scenario the next night!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

There's no way I'd have our 5.5 stone Rottie in the bed, for a start it would be near impossible to get her out of it in the morning, bad enough trying to get her out of her own bed for morning walks. Also the hair issue, don't mind in the rest of the house but upstairs is a dog free zone. I think its important to have areas where the dog can't go, that's just my opinion and if other people are happy letting their pets into bed with them fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

All three of mine sleep in my bed. There have been mornings when I've woken up clinging to the edge of the bed while they sprawl luxuriously under the duvet they've stripped off me during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

antomagoo wrote: »
    There's no way I'd have our 5.5 stone Rottie in the bed, for a start it would be near impossible to get her out of it in the morning, bad enough trying to get her out of her own bed for morning walks.

That's exactly how I felt when we had a German Shepherd, plus she was smart enough to see how far she could push things so letting her up on the bed would have been a bad idea. The three I have now are more interested in curling up and falling asleep on the bed than they are doing a power play type thing. Plus they're small and they take up enough room when they stretch out. I think if I let a Rottie or German Shepherd on the bed, I'd end up on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, we don't :) Dog sleeps upstairs in the kitchen, we sleep downstairs in the bedroom.

I know for a fact that the dog would love it, but she would ruin our sleep (and sex life!), cos she'd be moving around, getting up, licking your face in the middle of the night, "just because".

Worst of all, one night that we stayed in my parents, the dog stayed in the room with us, in her bed on the floor. She snores louder than me! My wife would be a bull in the morning with stereo snoring going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

seamus wrote: »
    No, we don't :) Dog sleeps upstairs in the kitchen, we sleep downstairs in the bedroom.

I know for a fact that the dog would love it, but she would ruin our sleep (and sex life!), cos she'd be moving around, getting up, licking your face in the middle of the night, "just because
    Me too, dogs downstairs in the utility room. they're only allowed in the kitchen and utility otherwise the house would be destroyed...hairy little buggers. Apart from the cleanliness I wouldn't have them in the bed because they'd keep waking us up and 2 Akitas and a cav in the bed would destroy my sex life :D We've got twins on the way next may so 2 babies will take their toll on the bedroom antics, adding 3 dogs to the mix ain't gonna happen :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Ours both sleep in their own beds on the floor at the end of our bed. Some times our pug ends up getting into the clothes basket in the middle of the night and sleeping there - he's a weirdo.

I usually get woken up at some point by the wet nose of our staff who wakes up and sits beside me until I lift up the covers and she piles herself into the bed, shuffles all the way down to the end and sleeps on my feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Currently have 6 dogs in the house 2 labs, 1 rottie, 2 terriers & 1 cav - 3 will be going home tomorrow. All 6 are sleeping in our room - rottie (ours) has her own bed and is not impressed if someone is in it and will stand over them till they move and if that doesn't work she will just sit on them :D. The 2 terriers (ours) sleep on the bed all year around one normally sleeps between us with her head on my pillow and the other one sleeps along the side of my leg.

As we have extra dogs the 2 labs sleep on the floor in dog beds and the cav is sleeping on my head (well wrapped around it) she likes to be close and has a thing for eyelashes and keeps sniffing them :D

We have 5 cats as well but they are not allowed in the bedroom cause one of them thinks its ok to sleep on my back and he is a heffalump the cats have floor to ceiling scratch posts with hammocks, beds etc so they are wel looked after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

:D Brilliant :D

This is one of the best threads I've read in ages, I've been giggling the whole way down the page

Our two love our bed - especially the basset - but they're not allowed sleep up with us - the OH put his foot down about that

You'd have no peace anyway with the twitchy collie and the snoring bed hog that is our basset. And oh my god the slobber...no definitely not a good idea.

They make great alarm clocks though!

Advertisement