Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love to sleep with my dog. Do you?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I used to sleep with both cat and dog when at home.
    The dog used to sleep under the duvet towards my legs, often using my legs or ass as a pillow. I would wake up in the morning to find her head sharing my pillow.
    She was a cute dog, she would stay in bed until 9am. Before that, you wouldn't be able to get her up. Used to work one day at 7 in the morning and getting up, she would stick her head up as if to say, you're off again and puts the head down again.
    The cat slept on top of the duvet with the window open. Not a good idea as he left us some presents on the floor before but I pityed him outside at night.
    Once had a stray cat come through the window and take a nap on my bed. It was a one night stand, i never saw him again.
    I dont have anything to sleep with now that i have moved away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Snip.

Minister Poxbottle banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Snip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Responding to the reports on this thread.

Ive banned Minister Poxbottle for the comment that I deleted.

Tillygirl--This is an on thread warning for you.Dont respond to posts like Minister Poxbottle---Report it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

our dog sleeps on the bed with us,as he is a large english bulldog,my love life is suffering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

He's never there when I go to sleep but he's always under the duvet when I wake up! According to my Mam he sneaks into my room at about 5am and naps there all morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Older cat usually sleeps on our bed. If we try to lock him out he bangs on the bedroom door until he is left in:rolleyes::p. Younger cat is more than happy with his swanky Whiskas cat bed so seems happy to remain there:D

Used to share my bed with my boxer when she was younger but as she got bigger she started to push me out of the bed:eek:, and also her snoring kept me awake; so I had to ship her out to her own bed:D

Have a corgi but wouldn't risk allowing him in the bed; we might wake up minus ankles some morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

My two dogs (Boxer and lab) have there own bed (Human bed !) in my room, but... they always sneak over to mine in the middle of the night and get under the blanket, next thing i know its morning time and im squashed up with the 2 bitches all spralled out like they own the place !!!

My dog refuses to go upstairs so I guess he doesnt want to sleep with me

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Magill wrote:
    next thing i know its morning time and im squashed up with the 2 bitches all spralled out like they own the place !!!
    Every mans dream :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm almost certain i've never even met your dog, so i'm pretty sure i haven't! :D

we have 2 cats that come and go as they please and quite often sleep on the bed with us.

one of them will actually come to get me wherever i am in the house and walk me into the bedroom and then jumps up and follows me round the edge of the bed until i get in if i haven't gone to bed at the same time as my wife. :o

she quite often sleeps on top of one of us or on the pillow above my wife's head.

the other one won't come near the bed if she's on it already, even tho he likes to sleep on it himself and is fine with sleeping right next to her in any other place in the house.

if she's already on the bed when he jumps up, or she jumps up when he's already there he hisses and lashes out and then runs off in a huff and you won't see him again for hours after that.

they're very funny creatures altogether. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My fella's too big to get into the bed, but when I come back from the pub and have the matress on the floor he climbs all over me :p

img05656057115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Yes my little yorkie sleeps with me in bed. She'll curl up on the outside of the bed at first and then during the night when she's starting to feel cold, I get a tap of her little paw on my head, as she wants me to lift the covers and let her burrow under :)
    She's a lovely little snuggly hot water bottle :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

He who lies down with dogs rises with fleas

If your dog has fleas, you as the owner, aren't very hygienic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I have had dogs and cats since I was kid and we do not let either of them sleep on our beds.We do not even let them even into the house.They have there own beds in the garage which is lovely and warm and thats where they sleep all the time no exceptions.

nothing hygienic about sleeping with dogs, ask any doctor or vet!

before they were domesticated dogs were such noble creatures, now they have been reduced to sleeping with humans who should know better, poor creatures!

My doctor is ok with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

nothing hygienic about sleeping with dogs, ask any doctor or vet!

before they were domesticated dogs were such noble creatures, now they have been reduced to sleeping with humans who should know better, poor creatures!

Why are they not noble creatures now that they've been donesticated? And considering they were domisticated thousands of years ago how can you say they were noble then but not now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I don't know your dog :D

• Advertisement

Why are they not noble creatures now that they've been donesticated? And considering they were domisticated thousands of years ago how can you say they were noble then but not now??

it is generally accepted that all dogs are descended from the wolf, a noble animal if there ever was one. what confers nobility? they are top of the food chain. they do not rely on other species to hand them sustenance. they have a distinct social hierarchy. they are skilled in the art of hunting and killing and they never slept with humans!

i know this is starting to get daft, but i am just trying to convey my opinion that it's not right to sleep with dogs, if not for health reasons then because doing so lowers them to levels of ridicule on par with the LOLcats!

it is generally accepted that all dogs are descended from the wolf, a noble animal if there ever was one. what confers nobility? they are top of the food chain. they do not rely on other species to hand them sustenance. they have a distinct social hierarchy. they are skilled in the art of hunting and killing and they never slept with humans!

One of the accepted theories of how dogs became domesticated is that early humans found an abandoned litter of pups, who were then brought back to the village/camp and nursed by a woman alongside her own human baby, the dog then slept with the family in their one room shelter to provide extra warmth as well as protection so in fact it could be argued that dogs sleeping with their humans is perfectly normal.

Another theory of how dogs became domesticated is that the dogs hung around the rubbish pile to steal food because they were too lazy or unable to humt and then became more and more tame. So these oritional dogs were hardly the top of the food chain were they?

One of the accepted theories of how dogs became domesticated is that early humans found an abandoned litter of pups, who were then brought back to the village/camp and nursed by a woman alongside her own human baby, the dog then slept with the family in their one room shelter to provide extra warmth as well as protection so in fact it could be argued that dogs sleeping with their humans is perfectly normal.

Well I have genetics to prove my theory, what do you have to prove yours?
    Another theory of how dogs became domesticated is that the dogs hung around the rubbish pile to steal food because they were too lazy or unable to humt and then became more and more tame. So these oritional dogs were hardly the top of the food chain were they?

they could have been if they wanted to, but they were too lazy! not noble behaviour!

Well I have genetics to prove my theory, what do you have to prove yours?

they could have been if they wanted to, but they were too lazy! not noble behaviour!

You have genetics to prove that early dogs didn't sleep with their humans? That's proof you'll have to give a link or reference to.

And thank you for making my point, lazy dogs are hardly noble are they?

You have genetics to prove that early dogs didn't sleep with their humans? That's proof you'll have to give a link or reference to.

And thank you for making my point, lazy dogs are hardly noble are they?

true, i don't have genetics to prove that early dogs didn't sleep with 'their' humans, much the same as i don't have evidence that ghosts don't exist or that george bush didn't cause 9/11. you cannot prove a negative!

my argument was that wolves didn't sleep with humans, maybe early dogs did sleep with 'their' humans, but i use the word 'dog' as distinct from 'wolf'.

i didn't intend to have to discuss the genetic genesis of dogs, my argument was that dogs shouldn't sleep with humans, for health reasons and because dogs should not be treated the same as humans, for reasons of discipline and other things.

i'll leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

it is generally accepted that all dogs are descended from the wolf, a noble animal if there ever was one. what confers nobility? they are top of the food chain. they do not rely on other species to hand them sustenance. they have a distinct social hierarchy. they are skilled in the art of hunting and killing and they never slept with humans!!

It's funny this topic has come up cos I've just finished watching a programme on Nat Geo "Search for the First Dog" and according to that programme the theory now goes that people didn't find and tame wolves, wolves being the opportunistic creatures they are spotted an easy living with people. They realised that people left behind enough scraps to live on and had nice wam shelthers to sleep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

i know this is starting to get daft, but i am just trying to convey my opinion that it's not right to sleep with dogs, if not for health reasons then because doing so lowers them to levels of ridicule on par with the LOLcats!

Have you read the Coppinger book "Dogs A new understanding of canine origin, behaviour and evolution"? Very interesting theories on where domestic dogs come from. Also, you said before they were domesticated, dogs were noble creatures, but yet you seem to be implying that before they were domesticated, they were wolves, so what are you talking about, wolves or dogs?

As I said earlier in the thread, sled dogs have slept with their human companions for thousands of years to provide warmth, just another example of the way the two species work together. Sled dogs are very noble creatures, yes they do a human's bidding, but only when they want to:D These dogs that slept with the humans for warmth would then be set free each summer to fend for themselves, going off and hunting and feeding themselves, but returning in the winter to work for their food, they weren't captured, they returned of their own free will because the food would be scarce, and they knew the humans would provide for them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

No dog at the moment but I took in a lost samoyed about two or three months back and she spent every night sleeping on our bed between us. She started off in the living room, then was upgraded to a beanbag in our room that same night, and eventually clambered onto the bed. We didn't mind though, she was quiet and slept the whole night long. New pup will spend his nights in the crate until he's toilet trained, then he can sleep on the bed if he wants, or we'll have his own bed for him downstairs. Cant let the cats into the room at the moment; one particular fat cat jumped onto the snake tank in our room and went through the top of it. After which the snake escaped and went missing for four days. Once we set up the reptile room properly though, the cats y'll be allowed sleep on the bed if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In Alaska they speak of a "four dog night.."

I was visiting a house this week and I was mobbed by wee Jack Russells;; mother and two three month old pups. AWWWW. One of the pups somehow ended up on my lap and the warmth.. But she was small and that was fine.

She was so upset when I had to leave and they would not let me take her with me..

Collie on my bed? NO WAY....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ISDW wrote: »
    Have you read the Coppinger book "Dogs A new understanding of canine origin, behaviour and evolution"? Very interesting theories on where domestic dogs come from. Also, you said before they were domesticated, dogs were noble creatures, but yet you seem to be implying that before they were domesticated, they were wolves, so what are you talking about, wolves or dogs?

As I said earlier in the thread, sled dogs have slept with their human companions for thousands of years to provide warmth, just another example of the way the two species work together. Sled dogs are very noble creatures, yes they do a human's bidding, but only when they want to:D These dogs that slept with the humans for warmth would then be set free each summer to fend for themselves, going off and hunting and feeding themselves, but returning in the winter to work for their food, they weren't captured, they returned of their own free will because the food would be scarce, and they knew the humans would provide for them.

In the same way as people in past ages would sleep and live upstairs with the cattle beneath them.. wise folk... Cows generate a lot of heat.

Advertisement