Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

xbox VGA cable and 1080p

• 11-11-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I have a dell monitor that has VGA and DVI ports. The dvi is in use for my mac and I'm hoping to hook up the xbox to the vga port.

Such a cable does exist and it's under a tenner on ebay, and they're meant to be pretty good cables.

the xbox is currently hooked up via component to a 20" display and I'm only getting 720i (not even 720p!).

Will I notice much of a difference with a vga cable to the 24" dell, and will the cable actually support 1080p?

I just got black ops and would love it full HD on the dell!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

afaik you would need the xbox vga cable as one of the ends is not standard VGA.

check xbox.com to make sure tho

The cables themselves don't have any restiction on the resoloution put through them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ye I know, this is what I meant!

I thought the cables didn't have a resolution limit, just wanted to check!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

I used to have my Dell 21" monitor hooked up the xbox with the xbox VGA cable too.

I'm pretty sure it was able to support 1080p - could be wrong though - but seeing as my monitor had a max resolution of 1680x1050 a 1080p resolution wouldn't have fit. So it really depends on what your monitor can support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

1080p is possible with these yea.... ive a 32 inch monitor thats 1920*1080 and the xbox outputs that when its connected to it...

I believe that its made of pure awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The cool thing about the xbox (after an update maybe a year or so ago) is that it also supports resolutions OTHER than 720i/p / 1080i/p
    If your monitor has a native res of 1680 x 1050, then no problem with the VGA cable!

It's well worth getting imo

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    The cool thing about the xbox (after an update maybe a year or so ago) is that it also supports resolutions OTHER than 720i/p / 1080i/p
    If your monitor has a native res of 1680 x 1050, then no problem with the VGA cable!

It's well worth getting imo

+1

You will get small black borders at the top and bottom of the screen (monitor is 16:10, Xbox is 16:9). But it looks awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The resolution supported by the VGA cable is dependant on the device you plug it in to. If your monitor supports 1920x1080 resolution over VGA then that will be an option when you use the VGA cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

getting back to the reality of it's worth ones while

if you can get 720p you will not notice the difference betweeen 720 and 1080 unless you have been chewing raw carrots since birth.

it's like most things

monster cables, audiophile headphones etc.

the difference between damn close to amazing and amazing is so small most peoples eyes/ears won't be able to tell the difference and if they can it's usually something they say to justify the purchase of something they know in the heart they spent too much money on IMHO

the resolution i'm getting is 720x480i. so i reckon it's well worth my while

ntlbell wrote: »
    if you can get 720p you will not notice the difference betweeen 720 and 1080 unless you have been chewing raw carrots since birth.

OT here - that may be true if you're using a 20" monitor like the OP, but there's an instantly noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p on a larger screen (40" and over)

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    OT here - that may be true if you're using a 20" monitor like the OP, but there's an instantly noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p on a larger screen (40" and over)

And i reckon going from 720x480i on a 20" to 1080p on a24" ultrasharp dell I should see a good difference. Maybe a slightly lower res would show the same image de to a 24" screen compared to a 40", but I can't exactly get a half res vga cable, so this is the only option for a very decent improvement when moving to the 24"

Ooops, totally misread the OP!
    I used a 22" Samsung monitor years ago (just under 1080p) - the jump in quality from SD gaming was unreal... As I said before, the cable is well worth purchasing!

Advertisement