Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New discount supermarket on Cork road?

• 11-11-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about an Irish version of Lidl/Aldi experience that I understand is on the Cork road by the inner relief road/Ash road roundabout?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I think it's called BuyLo, in where Bolands Mitsubishi used to be, was mobbed today at 3pm and I passing there...I'm all out of info after that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Here is an article about BuyLo in general.

http://www.shelflife.ie/article.aspx?id=941

From what I read Barry is a smart cookie. Think about it. He is right next to an Aldi, BUT he must be paying only a fraction of the price for rental/mortgage since the boom has burst. He should have very low overheads. Also the Cork Rd is a bit quieter now, so its more accessible.

EDIT: here is a more recent article http://www.shelflife.ie/article.aspx?id=1563

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

I work there, its basically a mix between a supermarket and woodies, they sell grocery and hardware stuff but at wholesaler prices more or less, yes it was mobbed today!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I must drop in and have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ill be popping in today for a nosey and shall report back on my findings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

is this late opening does anyone know? from what it sounds like reminds me of the days of the hyper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

'Topshop' at the hypermarket!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

i was in there earlier today some good bargains on somethings but mostly around the same price as tesco on most.hope it does well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Mooley22 wrote: »
    i was in there earlier today some good bargains on somethings but mostly around the same price as tesco on most.hope it does well though.

Me too. Even if its the same price as Tescos I'd rather spend my money in an Irish company with Irish suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Was smaller than I thought. And there was some retarded parking going on out front.

I wouldn't be running back there though, simply because the selection isn't as good as a Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I wont be back either.....too small, poor parking and no real bargains:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I was there also on friday and it kinda struck me how amateur the operation looked. Lidl/Aldi have the discount operator thing down to a fine art but there were alot of small shop errors I spotted when I was there.

The car park is very dark and its extremely hard to see whats around you when you are walking to/from your car.
    Needs a yellow box painted onto the road.
    Entrance/exit to the shop is too tight and I can see those doors getting battered by trolleys and eventually having to be replaced.

Only 2 tills operating and the queues were 10mins long even though there was an empty till.

Huge pile of boxes beside the tills for people to pack their shopping into. Thats fine but tidy them up at least and make sure there are'nt any boxes from detergents! I would'nt put my shopping into a box that previously held boxes of washing powder. Now that I think about it, it looked like they were all just dumped there in the hope that people would take them away with their shopping.

There must have been a problem with their dairy fridge because there were at least 100 1lb blocks of butter on the floor beside the fridge. Those 100 blocks were beside another 100 blocks by the way! Very unhygenic and would attract a large black mark from a health inspector!

Loading bay doors from the outside open directly onto the shop floor. well, not directly but they are as close as to make no difference. I always understood that there needed to be a physical barrier between outside/store/shop to stop anything 'scurrying' in!

I know they are just opened and are feeling their way but if they want to take on lidl and aldi they have a long way to go!

On a lighter note, the toothpaste I bought for 1 euro works just fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bet they have a visit from EHO for at least 3 months, she'll be too busy in the new tesco.

Advertisement