Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tech drawings

Options
  • 11-11-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

First thread here, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm currently a mechanical engineering student, and doing my thesis on 3d scanning and reverse engineering. My problem is I hope to scan an Xbox 360 controller because it has plenty of properties that the scanner struggles with. Im asking would any of you guys know where to get technical drawings of this product. eg, autocad or solidworks drawings of it showing specific dimensions.

any help would be great

p.s If ye dont know what an xbox 360 controller is see attached jpeg :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd say your chances of getting manufacturer's drawings are slim, both because its a proprietary design and because there may not be a complete drawing set. Complex moulded parts like this are often completely defined by their 3D models, with 2D drawings just used to show particular sections etc. Your best bet would be to see whether anyone has created (accurate!) 3D models and work from there, or send a nice request to Microsoft...

Would also be a good idea to calibrate the scanner using an easier-to-measure object (if this hasn't been done already) to verify the scanned measurements, ideally using a few different materials. At least then you can be confident that the scanner is measuring correctly, even if the controller dimensions are unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

I'd say your chances of getting manufacturer's drawings are slim, both because its a proprietary design and because there may not be a complete drawing set. Complex moulded parts like this are often completely defined by their 3D models, with 2D drawings just used to show particular sections etc. Your best bet would be to see whether anyone has created (accurate!) 3D models and work from there, or send a nice request to Microsoft...

Would also be a good idea to calibrate the scanner using an easier-to-measure object (if this hasn't been done already) to verify the scanned measurements, ideally using a few different materials. At least then you can be confident that the scanner is measuring correctly, even if the controller dimensions are unknown.

Thanks for the reply,
    I emailed microsoft already just no reply yet, have gotten a measurement block with definite dimensions and scanned it just have to compare measurements now in the next week or so. Thanks for the advice anyways mate

Advertisement