Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sized baking tin do I need for this recipe?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Got the recipe, ingredients sorted etc. but just not sure what size tin to use, it's supposed to be in a round cake tin and in the picture/video the cake is a decent height so am thinking perhaps 8 inch? Not sure though would 9 inch be better?

250g butter
    200g white chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup milk
    1 & 1/3 cup plain flour
    1 cup SR flour (add 2tsp baking powder as sub)
    3 eggs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I'd say an 8 inch tin would be ok.

I use a slightly larger tin than an 8" I think it's an 8 and a quarter inch, for the following sponge cake recipe

200g flour
    200g butter
    200g caster sugar
    4 medium eggs.

The quantities are roughly the same as yours, it doesn't make a massively high cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

if using an 8 inch try use one with high sides so if it does rise alot it wont overflow as some tins are quite shallow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think I should stick to actual cookery books rather than getting recipes from you tube my poor cake isn't looking too well. Recipe never said to sieve flour..but I should of known to really, recipe also said 180c which is way to hot because it's supposed to bake for over an hour so had it at 170c and top began to burn I guess I could cover it with baking paper but at this stage I give up, I've turned the temp. down and am hoping for the best lol.

Kicking myself coz it's such a yummy recipe and the ingredients aren't that cheap.
    I'm sticking to Nigella from now on, she's easier to follow and gives clearer instructions for thickos like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hey,sieving of the flour shouldnt effect it too much,you might get little lumps and less volume but if well blended it should be alright.the temp could have been for standard oven.often with fan oven you need to turn it down by about 10degrees or so.if the top does burn trim it off as chances are the rest of the cake will be grand.top it with a bit of icing or melted chocolate if you want to cover it once you trim burnt bits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Not sieving flour would make no difference. I always find cakes with white chocolate burn very easily and I think white chocolate makes a very heavy over sweet cake so I always reduce the amount of chocolate. I also prefer to cook in 2 layers if possible, makes it easier for the cake to rise with such a heavy ingredient.

This doesnt help now that your cake is in oven, let us know how it turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks for that it is helpful, I took the cake out early because i figured it's feked so it sunk in the middle but it actually wasn't too bad I think I may of panicked a bit because it browned so quickly on top, will try it again on a lower heat. Will have to get more white choc though, after scoffing the bar for the icing.

Advertisement