Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eurogamer review is in.
    8/10 or, if you like - as good as Brink. Really.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Ah jayziz. Still I don't agree with a lot of Eurogamer's reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Game reviews don't tell me if I'll enjoy a game, it tells me if the reviewer enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Game reviews don't tell me if I'll enjoy a game, it tells me if the reviewer enjoyed it

FUC*ING AY MAN! I enjoy watching Gametrailers reviews tho as I they cover a lot and I mostly agree with them....mostly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kotaku has a nice gameplay vid up which is relatively spoiler free, gives you an idea how different each case can be depending on what you choose to do

http://kotaku.com/5802203/14-minutes-of-la-noires-unexpected-thrills

Really liked the write up by CVG. good sum up as well. (no spoilers)
    If you hated Heavy Rain's strand of video game innovation and you're coming to this with cars and horses on the brain, then you're likely to be disappointed. If you can forgive some linear foibles and missed gameplay opportunities, it's definitely worth a try.

But if you loved Quantic Dream's PS3 adventure - or any of the old classic narrative point and clicks, for that matter - and hunger for a touch of Rockstar's elusive, mature class in 2011's spate of gun-heavy blockbusters, you can consider L.A Noire very much a must buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This seems to be the majority of the reviews just so ye can trawl through them. A largely positive response.
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/16/la-noire-reviews-start-going-live/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm avoiding everything about this game. Don't to spoil anything. I just hope the writing is good because this game for me will live or die based on that. I can't trust the reviews because last time I heard that it was for GTA4 and Heavy Rain which were pretty badly written. Still I've got a lot of faith in the tea, what little I did see seemed to be really good.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm avoiding everything about this game. Don't to spoil anything. I just hope the writing is good because this game for me will live or die based on that. I can't trust the reviews because last time I heard that it was for GTA4 and Heavy Rain which were pretty badly written. Still I've got a lot of faith in the tea, what little I did see seemed to be really good.
    Same here, I've only looked at the reveal trailers and nothing else. This game is going to restore my faith in this type of game...I hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sheehy83 wrote: »
    AH FFS!!! If I knew HMV had that blu ray offer, I would have booked with them! I saw a ps3/360 screen shot comparison and there was a big difference with 360 looking better. Dunno how legit it was. Doesn't matter to me anyway im not a richy rich who has both consoles :D but seeing as PS3 was the lead console, it looked a bit suspect.

If it's using the same engine as GTA 4 and Red Dead then get the 360 version. PS3 seems to have problems handling it. It's probably unnoticeable to the untrained eye but I'd put money onthe 360 version being better when the digital foundry article comes out if it is the same engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If it's using the same engine as GTA 4 and Red Dead then get the 360 version. PS3 seems to have problems handling it. It's probably unnoticeable to the untrained eye but I'd put money onthe 360 version being better when the digital foundry article comes out if it is the same engine.
    Yeah, but 4 discs?! :eek:

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, but 4 discs?! :eek:
    Seriously is getting off your arse every so many hours that much of an inconvienence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Eurogamer... the ppl who gave Mafia 2 4/10. :eek: So I'll never trust another review from them again.

I'll be interested to see what GameTrailers give it but only in passing. I've already decided I want to play this game so it doesn't matter much what any reviewer writes. I'll make up my own mind.

Seriously is getting off your arse every so many hours that much of an inconvienence.

Yes. I'm off my arse for the majority of my day so the last thing I want to be doing when i'm playing a game is faff around with multiple discs.

Not to mention the increased possibility of losing or scratching one of the discs.

4 discs? You'd swear nobody remembers PS1 RPGs. Is it really that much trouble to change disc?

TBH I'd be installing each disc and with a 20 GB HD that's only 1 disc at a time but still dn't think it's much of an inconvenience. Just as bad as MGS 4 :)
    Eurogamer... the ppl who gave Mafia 2 4/10. :eek: So I'll never trust another review from them again.

They were right in thatcase tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

4 discs? You'd swear nobody remembers PS1 RPGs. Is it really that much trouble to change disc?
    Well.. I suppose it's about priority if you've two consoles.

Play uninterrupted with the possibility of those texture issues (which didn't bother me in the slightest for RDR) or having 4 discs?

Like you said, it's a moot point until that Digital Foundry article appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'll be interested to see what GameTrailers give it but only in passing. I've already decided I want to play this game so it doesn't matter much what any reviewer writes. I'll make up my own mind.

They gave it 9.1 ,...the review is up

I also don't like Eurogamer AT ALL.
    Also really enjoyed Mafia 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Guardian gave it top marks.

I don't usually give a crap about reviews anyway,the game looks fantastic, its a great concept so I will be getting it regardless of what reviewers say tbh.

Basq wrote: »
    Well.. I suppose it's about priority if you've two consoles.

Play uninterrupted with the possibility of those texture issues (which didn't bother me in the slightest for RDR) or having 4 discs?

Like you said, it's a moot point until that Digital Foundry article appears.

Me on the other hand will have a niggling feeling at the back of my head that I'm not getting the full experience. It's why I make a crap PC gamer. I usually don't play PC games until I can play them maxed out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

It's 3 discs, non?

Only thing that bothers me is having to install them all. Never have much extra space on my 250GB Xbox HDD :/

They were right in thatcase tbh.

Not in my opinion. Mafia 2 was one of my favourite games of last year and whilst I understand that it wasn't for everyone, there is no way it was a 4/10 game. It was a joke of a review.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Wasn't the lead console the PS3? Seeing as the game was originally supposed to be PS3 exclusive.

Not in my opinion. Mafia 2 was one of my favourite games of last year and whilst I understand that it wasn't for everyone, there is no way it was a 4/10 game. It was a joke of a review.

Yupp, I passed on Mafia 2 when it 1st came out because of the bad reviews, shame on me! Picked it up after Christmas and thought it was brilliant! Ya, not as good as the original but I still had more fun than I did with GTA 4 & RDR combined and if i'm ever bored and stuck for a game, I'm gonna get the DLC for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Totally agree, 4/10 for Mafia 2 was a ridiculous joke (they obviously didn't get paid off enough by 2k). I don't read any of their reviews for the score anymore, only to get a sense of opinion about the game

We've heard that line before though and the only ones telling the truth when they say it are EA. We'll see though when the digital foundry article comes out. For all I know it could be a new engine and will be better on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

so when does gamestop usually ship out pre orders? this is my first time to pre order off them, is it possible it may arrive thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Nodferatu wrote: »
    so when does gamestop usually ship out pre orders? this is my first time to pre order off them, is it possible it may arrive thursday?
    From my experience...

If you only used regular post, it should arrive Thursday.

If you paid extra for express postage, it should arrive Wednesday.

Advertisement