Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Did anyone here who got the game on PS3 get the Consul's Car dlc code? I thought it was meant to be in the case but it's not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did anyone here who got the game on PS3 get the Consul's Car dlc code? I thought it was meant to be in the case but it's not

nope I didn't get it at all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Just finished the homicide desk.
    I actually had an inkling of who the killer might be long before the reveal, some very subtle hints were dropped along the way.
    When I heard the temp barman mentioned the second time I had a feeling, plus all the women came from bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

In reply to Johner above.
    I was pretty sure it was him at that point. It was annoying that I had no way to question the barman who was there about the temp-worker, get an address etc. Would have done so in real life, it seemed like an obvious lead. Maybe I got a question wrong there, but I doubt it. Probably meant to be missed by Cole for the sake of the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Johner wrote: »
    When I heard the temp barman mentioned the second time I had a feeling, plus all the women came from bars!
    And also the fact that the sailor mentioned the woman he was with spent all night talking to some barman. I'm sure there's other hints that'll become obvious on a second playthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I just bought a copy of it on PS3.

Any PS3 users having a bad experience with it overheating/crashing the console?

Just saw this thread and if the game is not right i'll probably bring it back while its still sealed. Could just be the fact that the Xbox is a bit dodgy by nature and the PS3 version is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I just bought a copy of it on PS3.

Any PS3 users having a bad experience with it overheating/crashing the console?

Just saw this thread and if the game is not right i'll probably bring it back while its still sealed. Could just be the fact that the Xbox is a bit dodgy by nature and the PS3 version is ok.

All I'll say is I work for a certain letter of box, and that we have got pretty much ZERO phone calls about the "alleged" problem today.

What we find is that it happens to one or two people and its not linked to a game, but they say it is, got forbid their console just broke. Then everyone else gets the idea in their head that when a console breaks with a game inside, its the games fault.

Believe me if it was an actual issue worth caring about, or had ANY validity, we would have been told about it...this is a big launch game and there was enough information sent out to us about other issues with the game.

Its being a very smooth release in my experience when compared with say Call of duty, which is always a ****ing nightmare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still enjoying it, last traffic case knocks up the difficulty!

Struggling to get perfect ratings for the cases. Damn hard to read witnesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

TheDoc wrote: »
    All I'll say is I work for a certain letter of box, and that we have got pretty much ZERO phone calls about the "alleged" problem today.

What we find is that it happens to one or two people and its not linked to a game, but they say it is, got forbid their console just broke. Then everyone else gets the idea in their head that when a console breaks with a game inside, its the games fault.

Believe me if it was an actual issue worth caring about, or had ANY validity, we would have been told about it...this is a big launch game and there was enough information sent out to us about other issues with the game.

Its being a very smooth release in my experience when compared with say Call of duty, which is always a ****ing nightmare...

Thanks Doc,

Just had to ask!

My PS3 is of mature age at this stage and if something as simple as trying LA Noire killed her i'd cry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

All the reviews that say that theres no replay value are way off. So many parts of this game that I plan to replay after I finish my exams just so I can play from a slightly different angle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmmm i played for a bit now, cant say i am very impressed by game. i do love its realistic gameplay. Love that leveling system. some cases are prety cool, but predictable.

one thing i found about this game: its good in small doses, but it gets a bit stale if you keep going.

you know that feeling when you watch rented dvd and there is feck all interesting happening on a screen so you just pick up your phone to check who is ranting about what on boards.ie or you decide to text some Tom, who you havent texted 5 months...This game somehow fits in in in "dvd" bracket.

so how big threat is with those overheating consoles? anyone on boards.ie got issues so far?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Just finished the homicide desk.
    I actually had an inkling of who the killer might be long before the reveal, some very subtle hints were dropped along the way.
    That final scene in the catacombs was brilliant though! It was so tense walking around the corners thinking he was there waiting, it was like something from a film! On to the Vice desk now, going to give it a break for a few days, as im storming though it. This game is incredibly linear, more so that I thought it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

getting fed up of the game at the moment, the cases are starting to get very repetative

Nodferatu wrote: »
    getting fed up of the game at the moment, the cases are starting to get very repetative
    How far are you into the game? Have you finished the:
    homicide cases
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've found this boring and repetitive. I can't give it too much more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

My GF got me this yesterday!

On 'My fallen idol' now,not to far in to the game yet.Seems like an interactive movie more than a game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The hype has died down, and its pants to be quite honest, boring, repetitive, zero fun. A technical marvel, amazing presentation, but its a game that basically plays itself, whats the point of a free roaming city where you can just get your partner to drive? the cars handle like shopping trolleys, the interogations are a chore and the crime scenes consist of walking around until your controller vibrates, you're being led by the hand the whole time. the facial acting, while incredible technically, is completely overdone, why hire real actors then tell them to act badly? they may as well be twirling their moustaches as an indication they're lying.

amazing presentation, horrible game mechanics, wont be playing this much longer.

biggest disappointment of the year? definitely, I wanted to genuinely love it but its just no fun to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Enjoying the game a bit, can get a bit tedious but it's not terrible. Was very disappointed with Homicide.
    I wanted to actually investigate a serial killer and it was a bit silly having to pin the murders on somebody else when you knew it was a serial killer. Also didn't like that when you eventually solve it you can't let anyone know who it was! Felt all a bit pointless!

Also Cole Phelps' voice acting is terrible sometimes....chap nearly eats the head off people at desks in hotels etc. when he has only just begun talking to them.

I'd say I'll finish the story mode and then trade it in against Dirt 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm enjoying it, but it's definitely a title where once the hype dies down you see the cracks and shortcomings.

The face tech is amazing, but it's almost too good, because the rest of the graphics aren't all that, so the faces stand out a mile, like they don't fit in. Kind of like when they used real people's hands for close-up shots in Thunderbirds! :D

I've just finished the traffic cases, and to be honest I'm constantly being reminded of the first Assassin's Creed game -
    • technical marvel
    • amazingly realised open world
    • but not a whole lot to do in that world
    • and missions get repetitive
    • and the side missions are all the same
    see?

I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1, glad I bought it, but I clearly saw it had major flaws with content and lack of variety. Same with LA Noire. If they do with LA Noire 2 what Ubisoft did with Assassins Creed 2, then I'll get the game I was expecting.

Also, the "mechanics" of the game are far too obvious - ok, drive here, walk around the crime scene, solve the case in your head long before the game gets around to it because it's blatantly obvious whodunnit, go through the motions of picking up clues and talking to people even though you know how the case will end. Also, oh look, this side mission has ended with a baddie taking a hostage again, sticking their heads out from behind the captive so that I can pop them, again. :rolleyes:
    Beekay wrote: »

Also Cole Phelps' voice acting is terrible sometimes....chap nearly eats the head off people at desks in hotels etc. when he has only just begun talking to them.

Yes! this too. Phelps comes across as a bit of a d1ckhead for very little reason. I haven't warmed to the character at all.

Still enjoying it though.

• Advertisement

And on what planet can a murder suspect go "well I've had enough of your questions" ffs you're a police detective, YOU say when the interview is over, not the suspect! it ruins all this stuff they were saying about real questioning, when its basically press the right button or repeat it, too much hand holding as well, its last gen mechanics with new gen faces and poor character models.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You summed it up well krudler , Iv been playing it steadily since yesterday and have found it quite boring so far. The structured missions layout as well having no real player influence to the outcome of the cases makes it fell like its not a rockstar game at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I hate to say it, but I have to agree that the game does get very repetitive after a while. Once you've done a few cases you know what to expect from the rest, I feel like I'm on autopilot while playing it.

You summed it up well krudler , Iv been playing it steadily since yesterday and have found it quite boring so far. The structured missions layout as well having no real player influence to the outcome of the cases makes it fell like its not a rockstar game at all.

and whats with the tailing missions, ffs they shouldnt be in a current gen game "uh this guy saw us even though he's stopped a traffic lights with 5 cars blocking his rear view to us, but you went to close to the indicator and now the case is over, we couldnt just find his address and go there, us being cops and all, no no, you failed for going too close" zzzzzzzz

all the crime scenes are the same, just like heavy rain, walk around, controller vibrates, uh guess thats a clue then. you just want to plough through it and its not that enjoyable, its refreshing they tried something new, but when you cant back up the claims with an enjoyable game behind it then whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus this is getting slated in user reviews.

I absolutely love it anyway. I was expecting CSI in the 3rd person and my expectations were greatly exceeded. Love these types of games. I think if R* stayed a silent partner, peoples expectations of the next GTA or RDR wouldn't exist.

I for one think Bondi did a fantastic job (room for improvements of course if there is a sequel)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They've pushed the realism angle too far and have ended up producing a cop simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

They've pushed the realism angle too far and have ended up producing a cop simulator.

:confused: What were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Hrrm. Reading this last page has made me sort of happy, as I was kind of skeptical about this game, even from just seeing the trailers. The main character looked like he was suffering from a bad case of "The Marstons" in terms of his dialouge, the repetitive nature of the missions and in general the ill-advised strive towards a movie-like experience, which are the same reasons Red Dead Redemption was a let down for me.

I want to like this game alot, but I really don't want the same experience I had with RDR. Think I might rent it instead. Or watch LA Confidential and Chinatown in a cigar-smoke and bourbon filled room.

Yeah this is no where near Red Dead Redemption quality and it won't win GOTY like that did that's for sure! It's ok, im just gonna finish it and sell it on eBay or something... The free roam is pointless, since there's no shops or anything to go into. It's an incredibly easy game also, no challenge whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

one thing i found extremly annoyng:

you know suspect is lieing, but you dont know which one to choose: doubt or lie. then lets say you just know suspect is lieing about some small thing, like knowing about picture, but you do a mistake and your character accuses them of murder ! and you sit there: FFS NO! i ment she is lieing about knowing, not about not killing that bastord! :rolleyes:

i think they could put those high tech faces on bricksinstead of very low quality body models, would do same thing, but save a few more quid.

Advertisement