Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I finally got stuck in yesterday and I'm enjoying it.

I seem to be terrible at asking questions though and I think the shoot-outs are ridiculously easy so far
    even that big shoot out at the film set when you're working Traffic presented zero difficulty

I really like the mechanics though, would love to see more games of this nature (what's the bets in 2 years time I'll be saying "I'm sick to death of all these detective/action games..." :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Sequel possibly in the works

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-23-la-noire-2-wont-take-five-years-to-make
    Nodferatu wrote: »
    is brink any good? ill be trading this in for sure when i beat it.
    On PC, maybe. Give them about 6 months-1 year to patch the mess on consoles.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This game has a lot in common with the likes of Alan Wake. In fact Alan Wake was initially supposed to be open world.

I like the game, but I'm taking my time with it, treating each case like an episode in a TV show. Watching a box set of House/NYPDB etc is repetitive is as is blazing through this game. They're best enjoyed over time. I also agree with the comparisons to AC1. But while AC1 was awfully samey the actual assassinations themselves were often breathtaking.

One annoyance is the lack of a break between cases. It would be nice to see some character development and gameplay diversions outside the cases. I'm not talking about the man dates in GTA IV but more like the treasure hunts in RDR. These were laid back, but wonderful, ways to get lost in the world.

Oh and at least some kind of contextual prompt giving the gist of Cole's line of questioning like in ME2 would have been nice rather than accusing someone of murder instead of trying to suggest they're holding something back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Healium wrote: »
    Sequel possibly in the works

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-23-la-noire-2-wont-take-five-years-to-make

On PC, maybe. Give them about 6 months-1 year to patch the mess on consoles.
    I'd kind of like the sequel to focus on one or two bigger cases. There's little attachment to the cases in this one, but a longer one would give characters more time to develope and could allow the developers to work on multiple outcomes for different situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There are so many missed opportunities in this game, where they missed the chance to really make it great.

Spoilers for those not yet on the Vice Squad missions:
    When it finally comes time to find the guy who really committed all the murders, I don't think it could have been any more disappointing. Firstly, in all the cases there were some bits of evidence which didn't fit in with case. These should have been used to try and find the killer, or at least interrogating him. Secondly, as the driving is terrible, I usually make the partner drive. So when it came to having to track down the killer by visiting landmarks, I only had two discovered, which meant I ended up driving around randomly trying to find them or until the character ended up just telling me where to go.

Thirdly, this is not a platforming game. Going through a maze or up scaffolding... really? This is meant to a detective game, not Crash Bandicoot. Fourthly, when you finally catch the guy, he admits it, then you kill him. Seriously, after all that? It would have been far better to catch him, then have to use all the evidence from the other cases to try and have him arrested, things like the iron bar from the church here used to break into one of the apartments. Just so many missed opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nodferatu wrote: »
    is brink any good? ill be trading this in for sure when i beat it.

no,you'd be better of trading it in for sumthing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Anyone else find it a pain in the a.ss when
    You had to decipher the black dahlia's cryptic messages, even though there was no way you had found all the landmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone else find it a pain in the a.ss when
    You had to decipher the black dahlia's cryptic messages, even though there was no way you had found all the landmarks

Yeah, that was my problem too. Actually got the first one (the one after the park) but I hadn't discovered any of the other landmarks, and any I did discover weren't the right ones. The last one, I knew was a church from the clue, but had no idea where it was. I just ended up driving round doing dispatch calls until the character told me where to go for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Barrington wrote: »
    Yeah, that was my problem too. Actually got the first one (the one after the park) but I hadn't discovered any of the other landmarks, and any I did discover weren't the right ones. The last one, I knew was a church from the clue, but had no idea where it was. I just ended up driving round doing dispatch calls until the character told me where to go for each of them.
    I was kinda confused by that as well, as how the hell are you supposed to know the first one unless youve been inside and seen the chandelier? After that one i figured out the locations had appeared as question marks on the map and i guessed it using them, but yeah it wasnt too clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

This worth getting for the xbox lads? Is the story long enough to keep me going for a while?

Seems decent anyway by this thread!

• Advertisement

Barrington wrote: »

Yeah thats what ended up happening for me too. To be fair the end where
    you're chasing the killer through the catacombs
    was pretty epic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This worth getting for the xbox lads? Is the story long enough to keep me going for a while?

Seems decent anyway by this thread!

Rent it if you can i'd say, you'll breeze through it and there's no MP for longevity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I traded it in today for €45 store credit in Smyth's .

Thank you to the guy who suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Can it be traded in for 45euro cash?? In smiths?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

biggebruv wrote: »
    Can it be traded in for 45euro cash?? In smiths?

If i could have got cash i would have taken it :).

€25 cash was the offer.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Rent it if you can i'd say, you'll breeze through it and there's no MP for longevity

Implying a game needs MP for longetivity. Thats what trophies are for. MP is nice to have for appropiate games (i.e. fps games), but it wouldnt work for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Implying a game needs MP for longetivity. Thats what trophies are for. MP is nice to have for appropiate games (i.e. fps games), but it wouldnt work for this one

Why not it worked for RDR and GTA, you have a map, free roam and shoot down the other players.
    Not everyone collects all the trophies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I traded it in today for €45 store credit in Smyth's .

Thank you to the guy who suggested it.

Had you bought it there? I'll be down in a flash if I can get that deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Why not it worked for RDR and GTA, you have a map, free roam and shoot down the other players.
    Not everyone plays multiplayer either. I've honestly spent more time playing pool in PS Home than I have any other game online.

I'm loving LA Noire so far. They might as well have called it Heavy Rain 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah thats what ended up happening for me too. To be fair the end where
    you're chasing the killer through the catacombs
    was pretty epic

Have to say im finding more and more with a few cases that your just expected to "know" what to do without any explanation
    Specifically with that one and now one im on in vice that requires me to move stuff with a crane but theres no explanation what your meant to be doing

• Advertisement

I never said MP didn't work, i just stated not all games are suited to MP, LA Noire included.

p.s. i love free roam in RDR. Not so much GTA4, which is hit and miss

VinLieger wrote: »
    Have to say im finding more and more with a few cases that your just expected to "know" what to do without any explanation
    Specifically with that one and now one im on in vice that requires me to move stuff with a crane but theres no explanation what your meant to be doing

I haven't gotten that far but its not much of a spoiler anyhow. I'll be continuing vice after work :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

VinLieger wrote: »
    There are 2 crates blocking access to the freezer room which you need to move.

Enjoying every minute of this game. Just started Disc 3 this morning, on to the 2nd Vice case and the action has started ramping up a bit (I hope Vice is full of gunfights like
    Polar bear Ice Company

Loved the homicide cases and really took my time with them although was slightly disapointed with the final case
    the guy with the boat statue in house and the boat outside sent a shiver up my spine when I started thinking back over the linking details of the murders. Just a shame he didn't turn out to be the serial killer as it is quite possibly him if you think about the clues. Suppose they had no way of explaining how you put 3 guys away but still had a murderer with the same "MO" through each case

I didn't come in to this game expecting RDR or GTA and I've been totally blown away by the experience so far. This is definitely going one of the first titles in a while which I'll be restarting straight off once I complete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Also, for anyone who is around the same stage as me (Vice 2nd Case) *newspaper related plot spoilers*:
    I might have missed a few newspapers, but the stories so far seem to be centred around that dangerous psychiatrist guy (the one who had the arsonist screaming down the phone to him about the house he burned down not being empty) and the weird marine guy getting involved in the drugs with Micky Cohen. Does anyone know if these are 2 seperate plot lines running underneath in the form of these scenes, or are all the newspapers part of this same plotline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Everything links in together into the main story line

Im fairly sure i've missed a few of the newspapers :(
    I really wanted to keep up with the underlying plot thread in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Im fairly sure i've missed a few of the newspapers :(
    I really wanted to keep up with the underlying plot thread in them
    I think there's 3-4 in the arson missions. 2 in the last one so you might still be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Anyone else not impressed?

The interrogation system is poor.

Half the time, it doesn't seem to matter what you select. The dialogue options are ambiguous / random.

Anyone have a good walk-through link? Want to get this over with quickly.

The detailed faces are good, as is the music and character voices. Rest has been fairly linear & dull so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Cheers man, I'll go rent it later so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Controls are so terrible on the
    chandelier
    part, what were they thinking.

Advertisement