Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I think its a great game but I just wish there was more detective work involved(i.e. puzzles, etc..) rather than just questions. Overall though I find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

whats the name of the song at the end when the credits start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Nearly finished and can honestly say I'm struggling to motivate myself to actually finish it out.

Not sure if this should have spoiler tags but just in case..
    Got boring after the promotion to vice...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭vgv

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Nearly finished and can honestly say I'm struggling to motivate myself to actually finish it out.

Not sure if this should have spoiler tags but just in case..
    Got boring after the promotion to vice...

Thats a shame if true because ive just reached that part:(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

vgv wrote: »
    Thats a shame if true because ive just reached that part:(

Haha me too! That said -
    I've only done the first case on Vice, and I thought it was a nice change from the onslaught of dead women in Homicide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

If you think ...
    Vice desk is slightly boring, then just wait until the arson desk, the first few cases in that have to be the most boring cases in the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

hi guys got this yesterday for my xbox 360 and have finished the first disc!

i heard all the hype and gave in and bought it and to be honest im dissapointed
    my reasons are

1.its the same old thing every case and cases are boring just looking round the place for 15mins looking for clues it does get boring admit that people:)

2. just feels like the game is moving on and im like whats goin on here is this all this game has to offer me? im bored i was bored halfway through the first disc!

it just feels boring and a waste of time at this stage i couldnt be bothered to play it anymore i was expecting something amazing with all the advertising and hype but the lie doubt truth isnt that fun at all to be fair guys and it doesnt matter anyway the case will be solved one way or another! big let down 45euro of my money wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Well the vice desk is where i thought things got interesting, where:
    You find the newspaper in the alley after the shootout where you find out about how your partner is gonna sell you out for exposing what he knows about Phelps and the german woman, then you get subsequently suspended at the end of the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Its such a shame how this game is panning out, Its part game of the year, part biggest dissapointment.

Things started going down hill when the interegation system stopped making any sense, Now I'm not the smartest tool in the box but I'm sure everyone could tell
    that the homicides were all linked and that you were putting away the wrong people. I also guessed that it had to be someone from the bar tending agency. So obviously this is what was in the back of my mind while I was interrogating the suspects. Took me right out of the experience knowing I was smarter then the Detectives I was playing as.
    I think if the game had a Mass Effect style dialog wheel - where you ask questions using the clues instead of the slightly broken system its using, it would be a serious contender. Does so many things right its just a damn shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Digitalism wrote: »
    If you think ...
    Vice desk is slightly boring, then just wait until the arson desk, the first few cases in that have to be the most boring cases in the game!

Thats what I'm wading through now. Hard, hard times for my sanity. Complete bore at this stage, going to try finish it anyway because I've made it this far.
    Just to kill that Roy punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

What can can we expect in future DLCs? More of the same! We will buy them of course "Pleasure/Pain" :D
    L.A. Nightmare - Truth, Doubt, Die!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Does anyone know if/when they will be relaesing the pre order DLC for sale?
    I want to play them all.

What format will future DLC take? Will it be a new desk or just a case?
    If its just a case I don't see myself forking out waht I can only expect to be 800+ MSP for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

kiddums wrote: »
    Does anyone know if/when they will be relaesing the pre order DLC for sale?
    I want to play them all.

What format will future DLC take? Will it be a new desk or just a case?
    If its just a case I don't see myself forking out waht I can only expect to be 800+ MSP for it.

I would love to see longer single cases that require a combination of traffic, homicide, arson.
    I'd also like to see famous fictional or non-fictional crimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

one of the most boring games ive ever played, despite all the hype.
    if you let your partner drive you to the crime scene there would be virtually nothing to do.
    the crimes practically solve themself, you are just wathcing a cut scnene of the detectvices and the witness for most of it.

the questions are so restricting, you just get to ask what the detective has in the book, you can cant ask random questions about the clues to random people to see if they know anything. most adventure games have had that for years. its dull to not have the option tbh.

turned off about 30% through when i realised that it wasnt getting any better. the action isnt great as the 3rd person control and cover is severely lacking.
    driving sequences are uninvolving with the same cars going around the same corners every time (wil there be 1 or 2 this time!)

below average game with not nearly enough meat to its primary mechanic (finding clues and questioning witnesses). the remaining segments feel tacked on and uninvolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

RAIN wrote: »
    Its such a shame how this game is panning out, Its part game of the year, part biggest dissapointment.

Things started going down hill when the interegation system stopped making any sense, Now I'm not the smartest tool in the box but I'm sure everyone could tell
    that the homicides were all linked and that you were putting away the wrong people. I also guessed that it had to be someone from the bar tending agency. So obviously this is what was in the back of my mind while I was interrogating the suspects. Took me right out of the experience knowing I was smarter then the Detectives I was playing as.
    I think if the game had a Mass Effect style dialog wheel - where you ask questions using the clues instead of the slightly broken system its using, it would be a serious contender. Does so many things right its just a damn shame.
    Lol i didn't ! I thought it was the doctor, but they do tell you that Phelps says he thinks he is chasing the one person but the captain keeps pushing ahead with the copycat line of inquiries. Most people feel the game just carries on and what you ask doesn't matter but it does if you screw up the questions and get too many wrong you won't be able to charge the murderer and will end up charging the wrong person

I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played, i loved the music, the architecture, the clothes, the scripting, the story, the gameplay, the way they took out the boring GTA bits, they added nice cut scenes when arriving at buildings. Loved every minute of it, initially the interrogation system annoyed me but once you understand it, it works really well and you really need to think about your choices and consider the evidence rather than just choose a comment.
    Your choices made a difference too getting one question wrong could cost you the case and end up putting the wrong person in jail as happens quite often in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Just finished the game, let me assure people that found it boring, that the last couple of cases are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

Finished the story last night brilliant, gets a little repetitive but worth it for the story, music, atmosphere and facial animation and I just read there is DLC coming out next week, hopefully the PSN store will be back online by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

subway wrote: »
    one of the most boring games ive ever played, despite all the hype.

There's a lot of people here saying that this game was hyped up and didn't live up to their expectations. What were people expecting? We've all known from the start that there wouldn't be killing-sprees or the ability to jump into any car and just cause general mayhem. LA Noire was always going to be a slow paced game where you searched for clues, interrogate victims and chased the odd suspect.

Personally, I don't find it boring. I enjoy searching for clues and watching the story pan out. The only aspect of the game that annoys me is the location of street crimes; when you're two or three blocks away from a location you need to investigate and a street crime turns you around and takes you back up the top of the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Wow,
    the arson cases are quite nasty aren't they? Family burned to the spot in a house and the father just falls to bits while you're examining the scene. First moment I've actually said "holy ****" out loud in the whole game :D

Finished Vice last night. At first I thought the story would simply be going from desk to desk, but I didn't expect what happened :D. Especially
    switching to Kelso??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Notorious wrote: »
    There's a lot of people here saying that this game was hyped up and didn't live up to their expectations. What were people expecting? We've all known from the start that there wouldn't be killing-sprees or the ability to jump into any car and just cause general mayhem. LA Noire was always going to be a slow paced game where you searched for clues, interrogate victims and chased the odd suspect.

Personally, I don't find it boring. I enjoy searching for clues and watching the story pan out. The only aspect of the game that annoys me is the location of street crimes; when you're two or three blocks away from a location you need to investigate and a street crime turns you around and takes you back up the top of the map.
    where did i say i was expecting killing sprees?
    i expected a decnet adventure game with an ingenious interrogation mechanic and got nothing of the sort.
    you watch a cut scene, you review your clues, you truth/lie/doubt
    you watch a bit more cut scene.

you dont choose who to arrest, or add people to your suspect list, or question people on your own assumptions etc. you do what the game decides, when the game decides, hence its boring. you are not involved, just along for the ride.
    the same as setup as many other "mystery" games, just not done as well.
    and certainly the other games are not nearly as hyped as this.

so please dont presume to know what i find boring and i would ask that you read my full post before jumping to some conclusion. tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'm confused about the homicide cases
    All the murders are similar (missing ring, writing on victim's body) which points to a serial killer, yet the suspects all look like they have done it as there is plenty of evidence against them (e.g. bloodied clothes or murder weapons in their apartments) and they try to do a runner, and they lie during interrogations. None of that makes sense however if they are all innocent and there is a serial killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Notorious wrote: »

Subway, here is some more selective underlining for your perusal!:D This is the writing of someone who enjoyed the 'game'. But how much was actual 'game'? The terminology used implies 'leading'.

@Notorious, a few people here have said the game did not live up to the hype, but it is clear throughout the thread that the majority of detractors have explicitly stated that it was plain and simply boring, and has nothing to do whatsoever with misreading of any hype. WITHDRAW your comment Senor Notorious!:p

I was going to start a new thread questioning if LA Noire is actually a 'game' and not more of a 'Healthy Options Interactive Movie' (i.e. with the all important 'interactive' removed/ missing), but I thought one thread is well enough for it. I personally believe that LA Noire has stepped too far towards watching a movie, and unfortunately a standard of movie that not many would go to the cinema to watch.

Watched a couple of movies recently (again) with the kids - Ants & Wall-E. Ants seemed to be a vehicle for a large array of famous actors in a movie that completely missed its target (it was sh*t, no need for an 'imho' here) while Wall-E concentrated on the movie structure with mostly unknown actors and delivered perfectly to its target audience. IMHO LA Noire is the Ants in this instance. I hope games do not become a vehicle for hollywood/ TV actors who have some spare time, nor a tech demo for the ego of the fx team. Advance the motion capture, yeah fine, but not at the expense of gameplay. Gamings uniqueness is controller to screen interaction in a balanced setup, of course involving some cutscenes. LA Noire involved too much watching (of some impressive stuff) with the controller sitting beside me. Anybody elses alcohol consumption increase dramatically while they were 'playing' this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just read on CVG that Bondi 'suggested' that upcoming DLC electroplating something arson case was cut from the game originaly. So....not good enough to be in the main game but still gonna charge us extra for the leftovers. I won't mind paying for DLC for this game but I want quality cases, not left over thrash. Hopefully it was cut because it made the game too long and not that it was just crap.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just read on CVG that Bondi 'suggested' that upcoming DLC electroplating something arson case was cut from the game originaly. So....not good enough to be in the main game but still gonna charge us extra for the leftovers. I won't mind paying for DLC for this game but I want quality cases, not left over thrash. Hopefully it was cut because it made the game too long and not that it was just crap.

Nicholson Electroplating is the name of it. Interestingly enough, it seems to be based on a real event. If it actually does follow the real life incident, it might be quite an interesting case:

http://1947project.blogspot.com/2006/02/terrible-blast.html

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nicholson Electroplating is the name of it. Interestingly enough, it seems to be based on a real event. If it actually does follow the real life incident, it might be quite an interesting case:

http://1947project.blogspot.com/2006/02/terrible-blast.html

Ya, I read somewhere else it was based on this alright. That link to the real story sounds crazy, would be a fairly epic case if they mirrored the damage caused by the real blast.

Ya, I read somewhere else it was based on this alright. That link to the real story sounds crazy, would be a fairly epic case if they mirrored the damage caused by the real blast.

Definitely. Just as well it isn't a homicide case - wouldn't be much fun having to examine over a dozen different corpses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Traded mine back with Smyths today, too repititive for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

It was mentioned on the Bombcast that 2 completed desks were cut from the released game as the content could not fit on a single bluray disc, but both were completed with the released material. This doesn't sound like they are any different to the quality of the released desks. This could allow Bondi to release DLC as separate desks (2no. ready with others to be produced), as opposed to individual cases. Would make sense!

mrm wrote: »
    It was mentioned on the Bombcast that 2 completed desks were cut from the released game as the content could not fit on a single bluray disc, but both were completed with the released material

Heard that alright but didn't know they were cut du to size (should have guessed that with all the xbox discs). And in the story mode when it says 6 months later, I think I heard that he was promoted to Homicide from Burgulary? I would def be interested in buying new desks, might be a bit pricey tho!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Homicide cases were very unsatisfying :(

The last 'proper' case was a pain in the ass -
    yet again, when it came to interrogation it was pretty much a 50-50 chance of picking who the right suspect was - and by right I mean wrong, because moments later it turns out to have been a completely random decision. Poor form.

And curse that
    chandelier
    ! The **** was up with that?

Hoping it picks up in Vice, or I don't know, I'll complain about it on the Internet or something.

Advertisement