Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bluemooncity has been given an infraction for his colourful language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Thats some bullsh*t at the end where
    Phelps dies by being washed down a storm drain, not only that, we're expected to finish the game with some insurance investigator :mad:

Thats my only gripe though, its a solid game and well worth the pickup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Basq wrote: »
    Sheesh.. was away for the last week, and was gonna pick this up tomorrow.

Don't know if I'll bother - real mixed opinions so might wait til it drops sub €20.

Get it, it is an amazing piece of work the only people that are moaning are people that wanted it to be the same as GTA which it was never going to be like.

People said the same about fallout 3 and mass effect but as it turns out those people are wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Get it, it is an amazing piece of work the only people that are moaning are people that wanted it to be the same as GTA which it was never going to be like.

Eh, no they're not? I don't think anyone here has said they were expecting anything remotely like GTA. Some people just enjoy a small bit of entertainment from a game, and not a series of cutscenes that you press truth, lie or doubt occasionally in between the cutscenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Get it, it is an amazing piece of work the only people that are moaningare people that wanted it to be the same as GTA which it was never going to be like.

Nice try, but even you know that’s bullsh*t! The primary criticism (read through the thread) for this game is that it is plain and simply boring, without any requirement for reference to anything else. Stop making up sh*t that the game is received poorly because of misplaced hype. And it is 'valid opinion', not 'moaning', though moaning would have greater value than your 'misplaced judgement':D. Even you couldn't write that it is an amazing 'game', but you called it perfectly though - it is a 'piece of work', or 'tech demo' for its correct term!

@Basq, it is obvious from your bargain alerts that you like movies. If you have previously received as much enjoyment from 'watching' (not necessarily playing) a game unfold as you have from the equivalent time watching a good movie, go for it (this game unfolds for you, you dont necessarily 'play' it in the true sense)- but don't set the auto switch off time for your controller too low.;)

I think that you should play it sometime to experience it because, personally, I am glad that the game has been made - if only to progress games in general (the excellent motion capture tech) and to further expand on where games in general should go. This particular game, though, should go in the bin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Vice there, and it most definitely does pick up the pace in the last case. I saw the
    affair angle coming an absolute mile off, but hey at least they mixed it up a bit.
    At least the Vice cases didn't have me cursing plot holes - there's a few, but at least the cases remain relatively coherent.

I'm not sure if a simple 'boring' is the right criticism here - yes, it isn't as action packed as other games, but it isn't meant to be. Indeed, the random shooting sequences like the street crimes could probably have been excised completely IMO if they really wanted to be brave. Repetition is the main problem here, and I guess that could ultimately lead to boredom. It's a game whose persistence in trying something new is to be admired. The unfortunate reality is the writing and variety isn't up to much at times. When on form, it's one of the most unique mainstream games of recent times. Others, it's distressingly clear the player is being funneled along a linear path. There's still satisfaction to be found when you nail an interrogation, but it's a satisfaction hidden amongst frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

The biggest BS around is the apologists who espouse the 'it's a good step forward for gaming, a good start'. It was the same with GTA4 where at launch everybody dismissed the regression in terms of size and things to do from San Andreas. A couple of years later and the consensus has shifted.

The game is flawed and quite linear but I love it, playing a cop is great fun, although Cole isn't a good guy, he's a gigantic spa that deserves a serious smack :D

/rant

One thing that I found funny was I missed an interview with a bartender even though I was standing in front of him mashing square, got 3 stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Why is it that so many people describe what they dislike about the game and then mention that is quite linear. Is that such a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In my opinion, even the best games out there are linear, Uncharted for example. I'm enjoying the game to be honest. I've waited four effin years to play it, and to be honest, it's exceeded my expectations. I knew from day one that it wasn't going to allow you go out and shoot random pedestrians, or run people over...this is a slow paced, detective, clue-finding orientated game. It differs from the norm, and should be applauded for trying something different.

Instead, a lot of disappointment I've seen first hand from my own friends, about 25 or so of them (so i'm not making a sweeping generalisation) is that, because they saw Rockstar attached to the game or the sign on the box they expected sand-boxed based mayhem. Shoot ups a la GTA or Red Dead Redemption. It quite simply isn't that, nor is it trying to be.

Granted I also agree that repetition can often lead to boredom, but this is far from Assassins Creed style repetition. Driving becomes quite a chore and I often end up getting my partner to drive instead of me and yes it is linear, few games nowadays are not. One thing I dislike about this is that the questioning is quite ridiculous sometimes (most of the time), coming out with crazy accusations when all I thought I selected was 'doubt'.

I'd love to see a sequel whereby they can allow the player a greater sense of using their own intuition with regards questioning or selecting who they believe to be the killer. If you could see repercussions of your decisions and choices, that would also be quite cool.

Simply put, Team Bondi have made a great, new IP, but there's also a large scope for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Healium wrote: »
    I really don't know how I feel about this game. Finally finished it today.

Bit unhappy with the ending, mainly because of that
    TOTALLY UNNECESSARY DEATH. Damn it, Earle, I wanted to take you down
    . Feels like they're leaving room for an epilogue DLC, or from what I've been reading, two more sequels, rather than giving a really satisfying ending.

The main problem with this game is that it's not mainstream enough for people. Majority of people need to have their attention kept, there needs to be bursts of action. I myself struggled to finish the game, because the cases were all just the same gameplay mechanic - find evidence, interrogate suspects, story twist, charged suspect is actually innocent, hunt down real killer.

I applaud Rockstar for taking a risk. They really pushed the boundaries on this one. The problem is that this game doesn't particularly work. It's not a movie, nor is it a straight-up game. I'm glad it was made, because it was certainly an experience to play, albeit a flawed one. The atmosphere is fantastic, the recreated 40's LA is amazing, and the design in general is just astounding.

I just can't help feeling that this should be LA Confidential 2. It's borrowed characters and some of the plot from LA Confidential, and the story of LA Noire is amazing at times, and it just would have worked better as a movie sequel

Nice post and I agree with everything except the ending but I seem to be alone with the view that it (the ending) was good. The story and how it panned out was exceptional but the gameplay felt like it was bolted on at the end of production using the GTA engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    The biggest BS around is the apologists who espouse the 'it's a good step forward for gaming, a good start'. It was the same with GTA4 where at launch everybody dismissed the regression in terms of size and things to do from San Andreas. A couple of years later and the consensus has shifted.

:confused: Baby steps are important when it comes to gaming - not every brave new experiment is going to be successful. But changes and innovations people make are things others can work on and improve - there is rarely full on revolution. Gaming is in many ways always moving forwards. LA Noire is most important in bringing a more subdued game style to the masses IMO.

As for the linear nature of the game, on one hand it has to be that way. The problem is doesn't always hide itself that well. The interrogations are the most obvious IMO - ones where multiple responses are reasonable, but you're tied to the right one the developer has determined. There's been times I've had evidence to tie a suspect to a certain case, but for some reason certain questions demand I doubt. It's a hard problem to solve - Phoenix Wright was the same way - but one that most certainly can annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think it's a great step forward for gaming, something different with a company putting serious financial weight behind a new genre for this era. Seriously like GTA etc are good fun and all but we've all played them and versions of them a million times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just booted the game up there to do the last case. My PS3 decided to freeze on the title screen. I held the power button on my 40Gb phat and it tried to power off. It took forever. Tried ejecting the disc. Nothing happened. Just the green light kept on flashing. It eventually turned off. When I powered it back up, the PS3 I found out the my PS3 just wont read discs now. Both DVDs and Blurays. It ejects them fine but once they go in, nothing. No spinning/laser movement.
    I got the laser replaced back in April (I think) so I think they have a 3 month warrantee with it. Oh god I hope I do.
    Now I have to wait to finish this game. :(:mad::(:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just booted the game up there to do the last case. My PS3 decided to freeze on the title screen. I held the power button on my 40Gb phat and it tried to power off. It took forever. Tried ejecting the disc. Nothing happened. Just the green light kept on flashing. It eventually turned off. When I powered it back up, the PS3 I found out the my PS3 just wont read discs now. Both DVDs and Blurays. It ejects them fine but once they go in, nothing. No spinning/laser movement.
    I got the laser replaced back in April (I think) so I think they have a 3 month warrantee with it. Oh god I hope I do.
    Now I have to wait to finish this game. :(:mad::(:mad:

aw man that sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya man, sucks big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Got this yesterday, really liking it so far (about 11 cases in). Dont get what alot of people are talking about on here, i don't find it boring at all !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Magill wrote: »
    Got this yesterday, really liking it so far (about 11 cases in). Dont get what alot of people are talking about on here, i don't find it boring at all !!

Tis deadly innit. :) I thought I was way into it then when I checked my stats I was only about 40% done haha. Some game. Being able to walk around harrassing people in free roam would probably make it the best game ever but that's neither here nor there. Got 12 carlsberg so I'm gonna attack it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Really couldn't be arsed looking for all the vehicles and film reels, even with a guide it just seems like a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ShaneU wrote: »
    Really couldn't be arsed looking for all the vehicles and film reels, even with a guide it just seems like a waste of time.

Think i'm with you on that man. I nearly have all the landmarks but 0 film reels. Need another 40 cars but its a balls when they all look the same so don't think i'll bother. Platinum is just too much of a chore in this game. Still tho, such a class game!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Got this game and enjoying it so far.

Don't find it boring at all.

Must admit to find it very difficult to guess what are the right questions to ask and then sometimes calling out a lie, I find it hard to know which evidence to use and I'm struggling not cheat by looking up a guide.

Is anyone else finding some cases quiet complicated?

For example,in the Fallen Idol, which was quiet long I have to admit I had no idea what was going on or how the characters connected together.

Am I just stupid or are there other people out there with the same issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

murpho999 wrote: »
    Am I just stupid or are there other people out there with the same issue?

Stupid....:p

Only kidding. I found if I switched off for a minute during a cut scene I'd struggle. Some of the connections seem bizare at times alright but you can still progress if you make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

cant understand some of the negative comments for this. ive only played approx 3 hours so far (just started disc 2) but i think its a really great game. the facial animation is the best ever seen in a video game, the graphics are really good and the story and cases are really interesting. its up there with dead space 2 and portal 2 for my game of the year so far

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just starting the vice cases now,I,m enjoying it in small doses,I,m playing it mostly to get the trophies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The shooting mechanics are awful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Daemos wrote: »
    The shooting mechanics are awful tbh

Hardly awful... More or less the same as GTA. Besides theres barely any shooting in it (Least i havent had to shoot that much so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Just started on the Arson desk. Ad Vice was a nice break from the dead bodies of homicide...
    Bit surprised at how the homicide desk turned out in the end, and the cruel bump down to arson from vice. Phelps you dog :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This isn't a great game. Like Red Dead, it's the template for a great game. It's becoming very, very repetative. I hope it picks up or I'll be struggling to finish it. It feels like a chore right now.

Just got the platinum there last night, twas some pain in the ass trying to find all the cars. I recommend those who are hunting for cars to make a list of those ones you haven't got, look up what the car(s) look like, paying close attention to the front and back of the car especially

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Just started on the Arson desk. Ad Vice was a nice break from the dead bodies of homicide...
    Bit surprised at how the homicide desk turned out in the end, and the cruel bump down to arson from vice. Phelps you dog :p

Yeah i wasn't fully expecting that
    I had in mind that Phelps was a loyal family man. It felt very tacked on that they would make him out to be an adulterer just to bump him to arson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Just got the platinum there last night, twas some pain in the ass trying to find all the cars. I recommend those who are hunting for cars to make a list of those ones you haven't got, look up what the car(s) look like, paying close attention to the front and back of the car especially

you can see a list of the cars you drove on rockstar social club.

Advertisement