Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

mayordenis wrote: »
    you can see a list of the cars you drove on rockstar social club.
    I didn't have access to the social club for the last week so i had no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mayordenis wrote: »
    you can see a list of the cars you drove on rockstar social club.
    Main menu,extra's, show room. Lists and shows them all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Anyone know if/when Naked City DLC will be available on the xbox marketplace? 100%'ed the game lastnight, debating trading it in now while its worth more or holding out for more DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone know if/when Naked City DLC will be available on the xbox marketplace? 100%'ed the game lastnight, debating trading it in now while its worth more or holding out for more DLC.
    I just found out that there will be some free DLC available on the 31st May 2011.

All I know for certain is that it will contain another gun.
    Could be the pre-order cases.

Source: The bradygames guide for this. It's mentioned under the weapons section at the start. I'll check when I get home which gun it is and post here.

Edit: It's called the Chicago Piano.
    161033.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just started
    House of Sticks
    on the Arson desk....WTF is going on :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

kiddums wrote: »
    I just found out that there will be some free DLC available on the 31st May 2011.

All I know for certain is that it will contain another gun.
    Could be the pre-order cases.

Source: The bradygames guide for this. It's mentioned under the weapons section at the start. I'll check when I get home which gun it is and post here.

Edit: It's called the Chicago Piano.
    161033.png

I didn't even know the cop cars had weapons in the boot in the 1st place, guess I should have read the manual :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

calex71 wrote: »
    I didn't even know the cop cars had weapons in the boot in the 1st place, guess I should have read the manual :o

Same here... but then thinking about it I think I remember a caption popping up saying that any gun you pick up is stored in the boot when I first picked up a shotgun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished it there, what a poorly delivered ending. I get the themes they were going for -
    Phelps redeems himself to his squadmate, corruption continues on, the LAPD come out on top
    - but it was just badly directed, especially the whole
    sewer water
    bit. It left a bit of a bad taste. Considering RDR pulled off a few similar tricks last year (most notably the
    shock protagonist switch at the end
    ) with much more success, the ending was particularly disappointing. And what a pointless
    'flashback' epilogue post credits
    - rubbing in themes and story points they'd gone over so many times before.

On the whole, I certainly enjoyed the game. I think a few better writers could have done wonders though. I'd say Vice is the strongest section of the game, not tied down by
    big story arcs that render all your detective work redundant
    . However, it's full of plot holes, ideas that go nowhere, and some poor delivery. For everything it did right, it did something wrong. There was great joy in a successful interrogation, or finding one of the awesome hidden cars and cranking up the radio. However, dodgy writing and repetition hold LA Noire back from being something great. A sequel with the problems ironed out is a curious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

calex71 wrote: »

Finished the game without figuring that out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

However, dodgy writing and repetition hold LA Noire back from being something great. A sequel with the problems ironed out is a curious prospect.

I think if Team Bondi/Rockstar learned in the same way that Ubisoft learned about Assassins Creed then they could come up with something great. A.C 1 was incredibly repetitive, Ubisoft managed to tune A.C 2 into a fantastic game. If Team Bondi can fix the negatives then they'll have a successful I.P for years to come.

• Advertisement

Finished it there, what a poorly delivered ending. I get the themes they were going for -
    Phelps redeems himself to his squadmate, corruption continues on, the LAPD come out on top
    - but it was just badly directed, especially the whole
    sewer water
    bit. It left a bit of a bad taste. Considering RDR pulled off a few similar tricks last year (most notably the
    shock protagonist switch at the end
    ) with much more success, the ending was particularly disappointing. And what a pointless
    'flashback' epilogue post credits
    - rubbing in themes and story points they'd gone over so many times before.
    A sequel with the problems ironed out is a curious prospect.

To be fair they'll have to work really hard to make a sequel because in my opinion
    it was a really bad move to kill off Phelps, he didn't have to redeem himself - and if he had lived, continued to work cases, weeding out the corruption in the city, it would have been awesome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair they'll have to work really hard to make a sequel because in my opinion
    it was a really bad move to kill off Phelps, he didn't have to redeem himself - and if he had lived, continued to work cases, weeding out the corruption in the city, it would have been awesome

I'd agree it was unnecessary -
    his drowning felt sudden and lacked the drama and emotional resonance a character death should have! There is the whole 'you can try to redeem yourself, but evil will always win' angle if you want to get cynical, but I'd fully agree the writing and direction were poor.
    A sequel, though, with
    a new (or simply improved) setting, character and improved gameplay
    could create something well worth playing. Hard work? Certainly, but I'd hope to hell Team Bondi would have the sense to work to make a better game in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'd agree it was unnecessary -
    his drowning felt sudden and lacked the drama and emotional resonance a character death should have! There is the whole 'you can try to redeem yourself, but evil will always win' angle if you want to get cynical, but I'd fully agree the writing and direction were poor.
    Film noir as a genre is deeply cynical, and that theme of evil always wins is prevalent in most noir films, or at the very least that your past catches up with you eventually and there is no redemption. So the ending fits in perfectly with the genre. The family element with Phelps was poorly implemented and kinda crowbarred in, and while the execution of the ending could have been better, I still liked it and in was completely keeping in tone with the genre it was emulating.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Film noir as a genre is deeply cynical, and that theme of evil always wins is prevalent in most noir films, or at the very least that your past catches up with you eventually and there is no redemption. So the ending fits in perfectly with the genre. The family element with Phelps was poorly implemented and kinda crowbarred in, and while the execution of the ending could have been better, I still liked it and in was completely keeping in tone with the genre it was emulating.

I had some madcap theory about
    Phelps being found out he was having an affair. I thought that he was under some sort of mind control by Dr. Fontaine in order for the higher-ups in the LAPD to have an excuse to shame him

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I finished the game last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I am not too happy about the way it ended but overall i like this game.

It was definitely a different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

So, uh... has nobody posted about the DLC yet?

That Rockstar Pass released today. For 800 points, you get all the pre-order DLC, and the 2 future DLCs, which are the Nicholson Electroplating Disaster (Based on this http://1947project.blogspot.com/2006/02/terrible-blast.html ), and Reefer Madness (also based on true events, but I can't find what it is). No prices for those yet, and it doesn't seem like there'll be anything strange like Undead Nightmare coming out.

If you buy the Pass, you save 50%. It increases to 960 points on June 14 (but still a 40% saving)

• L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (limited-time discount price) - May 31
    • "The Naked City" DLC case - May 31 (320 MSP / $4)
    • "A Slip of The Tongue" DLC case - May 31 (320 MSP / $4)
    • Broderick Detective Suit and Gun - May 31 (80 MSP / $1)
    • Sharpshooter Detective Suit and Gun - May 31 (80 MSP / $1)
    • The Badge Pursuit Challenge - May 31 (160 MSP / $2)
    • Chicago Piano Machine Gun (free community unlock) - May 31
    • L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (standard price) - June 14
    • "Nicholson Electroplating Disaster" DLC case - June 21
    • "Reefer Madness" DLC case - July 12

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Just finished the game myself, I really don't know what to make of Cole, I mean, are they trying to make him a kind of grey area reluctant hero? That thing with
    the affair, I was expecting a set up, but it was not gone into, and there was no explanation for it
    Plus the ending wasn't particularly well-handled, I mean c'mon
    Roy Earle reading at the funeral, getting off scot free?
    Maybe I was just expecting more closure to events.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I certainly admire what they were trying to pull off with the ending. I still can't forgive the poor, rushed implementation of it though. The problem is that for the whole game Cole was a non-entity - his motivations and morals fuzzy at best. He calls out corruption, and yet is also willing to do a shoddy job at other times. The affair angle seemed inconsistent with his character to say the least.

Spoilers for Read Dead Redemption ahead, I can't help but compare the two!
    RDR showed John Marston as a much more driven individual, pushed forward by a simple desire to help his family and get some sort of revenge. He resigns himself to a simple redemption, and his son is left to carry out a final act of redemption. It felt like a more comfortable, well-directed ending, especially the barn-shoot out to avatar change transition.
    Back to L.A. Noire
    Cole's motivation seems muddled, especially in the poorly delivered flashbacks. It refuses to take the time to focus on interesting aspects of his personal life (unlike the dull but important tangent near the end of RDR where Marston just goes about his daily business) and his death doesn't feel like anything important. When we do change to another character, we change to yet another shallow individual who we can't care for.

Noir isn't the genre of emotion - it's of style. Yet the best noir has the writing and story to back it up. LA Noire doesn't - it's a series of episodes, some interesting, some not. And the only thing that connects them from traffic to arson is Phelps, and the fact that he is a non-entity makes the character based resolution seem particularly dodgy.

Healium wrote: »
    So, uh... has nobody posted about the DLC yet?

That Rockstar Pass released today. For 800 points, you get all the pre-order DLC, and the 2 future DLCs, which are the Nicholson Electroplating Disaster (Based on this http://1947project.blogspot.com/2006/02/terrible-blast.html ), and Reefer Madness (also based on true events, but I can't find what it is). No prices for those yet, and it doesn't seem like there'll be anything strange like Undead Nightmare coming out.

If you buy the Pass, you save 50%. It increases to 960 points on June 14 (but still a 40% saving)

• L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (limited-time discount price) - May 31
    • "The Naked City" DLC case - May 31 (320 MSP / $4)
    • "A Slip of The Tongue" DLC case - May 31 (320 MSP / $4)
    • Broderick Detective Suit and Gun - May 31 (80 MSP / $1)
    • Sharpshooter Detective Suit and Gun - May 31 (80 MSP / $1)
    • The Badge Pursuit Challenge - May 31 (160 MSP / $2)
    • Chicago Piano Machine Gun (free community unlock) - May 31
    • L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (standard price) - June 14
    • "Nicholson Electroplating Disaster" DLC case - June 21
    • "Reefer Madness" DLC case - July 12

I think i'll hang onto the game to play some of these. I still have 'A slip of the tongue' waiting to be playing, but i cant redeem my code cos ps store is down:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I think i'll hang onto the game to play some of these. I still have 'A slip of the tongue' waiting to be playing, but i cant redeem my code cos ps store is down:mad:
    Throw it on ebay and you'll get the money for the rockstar pass easy :D Got €19 for mine

• Advertisement

Now the question is do I pour more money into the game for the sake of 100% / achievements and also lose money on it's trade in / resale value by holing on to it until july :confused:

Fair play to them on the pricing and speed of release of this stuff though

tonydude wrote: »
    Throw it on ebay and you'll get the money for the rockstar pass easy :D Got €19 for mine

I think i'll wait for access to the dlc seeing as i traded in a few games i didnt want against it. Ended up paying a grand total of 99c for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Works out at ~200 points per case = :D
    Downloading them now, when you buy the pass you have to go in game to download them, can't queue them from the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm gonna get the R* pass when the PSN store is back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

tonydude wrote: »

rockstar DLC sell's for crazy money i got the piano machine gun stuck it on ebay thinking i might get €1.50 for it and got €25 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

So many spoilers and im getting extremely tempted to read them. Best go play a bit more before I crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

*scrolling quickly avoiding to read any spoilers*
    I hope I can start playing this game as soon as the exams are done. The trailer looks great and all the reviews are very interesting. I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Got 100% just now :)

Have to say the film reels were not as bad as I expected but no way in hell would you find them on your own. Some interested locations that were not used in the game too.

I used this guide to find them http://www.gamesradar.com/f/la-noire-film-reels-and-landmarks-guide/a-20110517205858594034/p-1

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Just at the part when
    Cole finds Sheldon. I absolutely loved his rant to Roy, amazing stuff.

"He was a better man than you'll ever know. You saw one more word about him and I will blow your f*cking head off."

• Advertisement

Just got 100% completion and my first platinum trophy :D
    Tracking down the last few cars was a pain.

Advertisement