Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry Ketchup

Options
  • 11-11-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea where I can find Curry Ketchup?? It's for himself, he has somewhat of a fetish for it-puts it on everything, dinners, sandwiches, wraps!

I haven't been able to find it in my local Tesco, Dunnes or Supervalu and he keeps asking me to get another bottle, I have family in Germany who are sending me their recipe for Berliner Currywurst, so i'm hoping that might satisfy him, but in the mean time......HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you tried just mixing in some curry powder into regular tomato ketchup? From my meories of it in Germany it's not too far from just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Aldi have curry ketchup. I have seen it in the store quite recently but never bought it so I cannot vouch for taste. I always thought it was one of those craving foodstuff for pregnant ladies but you proved me wrong! :)

Hope you find some

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

@ alun, i'm actually eating a hotdog with that exact combo, not bad, but he likes the commercial stuff(too sweet IMO)and says my version is a bit too much!!

thanks Rebel, i'll try there tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Aldi have curry ketchup. I have seen it in the store quite recently but never bought it so I cannot vouch for taste. I always thought it was one of those craving foodstuff for pregnant ladies but you proved me wrong! :)

Hope you find some

Doesn't taste of curry at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Where did he buy it before?

• Advertisement

He used to get the Heinz curry ketchup in Tesco, but they don't stock it at all now(I tried the Tesco Extra in Tullamore too, and they don't have it either :()

The homemade stuff was a bust-i liked it, but whatever way i make it its either too hot, to tomato-ey, or too sweet. I think its his way of telling me he likes over processed off the shelf food to my lovingly homemade creations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

As a pregnant woman this thread is giving me cravings but curry gives me bad heartburn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Sainsbury's in Newry have Curry, BBQ and Smokey Bacon Ketchup. Also have Ketchup and Mayo mixed. :)

bigneacy wrote: »
    Sainsbury's in Newry have Curry, BBQ and Smokey Bacon Ketchup. Also have Ketchup and Mayo mixed. :)
    I would love thai green or red curry ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cheapy2006

curry ketchup sounds disgusting! Dunnes used to sell Jalapeno mustard in a squeezy bottle for a while years age, it would scald the gizzard out of you but it was gooooooooooooood

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I would love thai green or red curry ketchup.

What about a Chicken Rendang Ketchup or Roast Pork Satay Ketchup!?! :D:D:D

We're getting into Heston Blumenthal territory now!! :D:D:D:D:D

What about a Chicken Rendang Ketchup or Roast Pork Satay Ketchup!?! :D:D:D

We're getting into Heston Blumenthal territory now!! :D:D:D:D:D
    No peanuts during pregnancy :( Am getting the husband to go out and see if he can get me curry soup.

Could people also use the sauces that you can get? A bit more effort but might be worth it?

No peanuts during pregnancy :( Am getting the husband to go out and see if he can get me curry soup

My OH is also pregnant - Curry Soup was requested about a week ago.

Here's a hint for your tortured husband ;) - Mulligatawny is an indian soup with meat, rice and spices. Very Curry-ish. They sell them in the chilled section in Tesco :)

As a pregnant woman this thread is giving me cravings but curry gives me bad heartburn :(

Lol I'm sorry-blame my boyfriend, he's the one badgering me to find some!

OOhhhh, BBQ ketchup! YUM!!! Not sure about the mayo and ketchup premixed though, i know that the marie rose sauce most restaurants serve is exactly that(made it up many times while waitressing) but the thought of buying it in one bottle is a bit wierd for some reason!! :o

On the Curry Ketchup front, my sister thought she saw some in Tesco Newbridge, or Naas-she's not sure which one it was, so i'm going to pop in and see if they have them there the next time i go visit her! If they do, then i'm finding the bottles with the longest shelf life and stocking up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

You're more than likely to find some in a Polish shop if you have one near you, they have all sorts of strange and delicious sauces. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Absolute craving for currywurst right now! I miss Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Im not sure exactly what curry ketchup is? It sounds interesting though!! I remember I used to LOVE the HP curry sauce (came in a glass bottle similar to ketchup) I think they had loads of flavours of sauces but I loved the curry one.
    Had a craving lately for it but couldnt find it anywhere, is this the same as what everyone is talking about? And if not I would love to know if anyone knows where I could get some!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Result, thanks - going to get someone to pick all these up for me, sound tasty :D

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just add mild curry powder (Sharwoods or the like) to the cheapest ketchup you can find. And leave for about a day. Taadaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

Doesn't YR and Heinz have curry ketchups out now? I used to buy the YR quite regularly - I'm sure i've seen it around very recently!

• Advertisement

Pittybitty wrote: »
    Doesn't YR and Heinz have curry ketchups out now? I used to buy the YR quite regularly - I'm sure i've seen it around very recently!

Where did you see them? Because if i can get a hold of some i swear he'd be doing the dishes for the next year for me!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Alun wrote: »
    Have you tried just mixing in some curry powder into regular tomato ketchup? From my meories of it in Germany it's not too far from just that.

This is the best! Makes me want some right now.

Went to the German Christmas Markets in Galway and saw two vendors selling currywurst-great, says I. One didn't look the best so we went to the other-lets just say he wasn't impressed.....

So I'm still on a mission to find him curry ketchup lol. At this rate if I get a bottle before christmas its being wrapped up and going under the tree as his present!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭My.testicals

There used to be a Sharwoods curry ketchup, it tasted exactly like the stuff in McDonalds. Can't seem to find it now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm not sure if you mean the German Currywurst sauce or not...

So meldete Herta Heuwer ihre Currywurst Soße 1958 unter dem Namen Chillup (aus Chilli und Ketchup) als Marke beim Patentamt an. Die Eintragung erfolgte am 21.01.1959.

Original Currywurst Soße aus Berlin enthält u.a. passierte Tomaten oder Tomatenmark, Trinkwasser, Currypulver, Paprika edelsüß, Paprika rosenscharf, Worcestershire Soße, Zucker, Salz, Chillipulver, Obstkonserven. Die Mischung variiert natürlich von Imbiss zu Imbiss.

The authentic Berlin stuff looks like it is made with, among other things, sieved tomatoes or tomato puree, water, curry powder, sweet paprika powder, hot paprika powder, Worcester sauce, sugar, salt, chilli powder and fruit conserves, whatever they could be.

Advertisement