Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber window seals

Options
  • 11-11-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if I can get new seals or if there are companies that supply and fit? cold air is coming into my bedroom from the seals, which appear to have shrunk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

You should ring the company that installed your windows and they should be able to do it. If not, just ring around the window firms you know of and check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

if your talking about doing a quick fix, places like woodies will have rubber strips to can stick on that act like draft excluders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

It's possible to DIY or get a glazing contractor in: You can replace the rubber sealing strips between the glass pane and frame. Rubber seals vary in quality - Some are better than others at keeping sound, wind and moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I did a DIY job about a year ago on ours. That was after getting a glazier to have a look and give me a quote. He turned it around by saying he'd do the whole house and replace them all, a whole day's work, €350.

I went out the next day and bought some white rubber draft seal rolls for about €20 in Homebase and took an evening going around each window that had a problem. The original black seal closed onto the white seal and we were draft-free. I chose white seal because I was sticking it on the outside of the PVC frame and didn't want it to look too obvious.

Some of the windows need redone as they would get opened more than others, so the seal has shifted a wee bit, but that's another tenner for more seal, not a visit from a glazier...

Cheers,
    B.

Advertisement