Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start up Website designer Required ASAP

Options
  • 11-11-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im looking anyone interested in building a website for my new small business start up in Galway for free or nominal fee ( it is a great oppurunity for a start website developer to get their name out to the business).

If you can help a small Galway business that would be great. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

it is a great oppurunity for a start website developer to get their name out to the business.

I really really f**king hate that line...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

If you hate it mike thats your problem but i don't see any benefit from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi All,

Im looking anyone interested in building a website for my new small business start up in Galway for free or nominal fee ( it is a great oppurunity for a start website developer to get their name out to the business).

If you can help a small Galway business that would be great. Thanks.:rolleyes:

You want someone to write you a website for free?

LOL this should be in Humour.

Now, if it was a different situation like a charity website, or anyhting else non profitable, i'd jump at it for the good of man kind. But you want someone to write you something for free, that you will gain financially from?

Am I missing something here??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Go on to Wix.com and you can build your own website for free.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You want someone to write you a website for free?

LOL this should be in Humour.

Now, if it was a different situation like a charity website, or anyhting else non profitable, i'd jump at it for the good of man kind. But you want someone to write you something for free, that you will gain financially from?

John,

If your not interested then there is no need to knock the idea. This is the way most small business get a foot hold in the market. But if everyone is going to be negative like you then the country will never get out of the recession. Obviously if the idea is successful then I would be using and paying the designer for other business ideas i have.

So stop wasting time posting negative and come up a business idea yourself and help this country get back on its feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,980 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »

No, you're not.

I've started doing what I calli "web enablement" for ultra-small businesses / community groups, using the lowest cost tools around (Facebook the Google family of products, Inkscape etc) to build something that's only ever intended to be the very first site, with pretty limited functionality. I charge. And I'm guessing that anyone who has the skills to be here on boards has the skills to do what I do themselves.

The Web Activate programme is a govt-funded initiative to train formerly unemployed people into being self-employed web "developers" using the Wordpress platform. They were (company applications closed in Oct) free - but the freeness only lasts until Mar-11 at the latest: after that, there's a charge for hosting, and template licensing - and any maintenance needs to be worked between the former trainee and the company, but I'm sure it won't be free.

The OP's best bet is to find a college student who needs to do a project. But personally, if I needed a website for a new business, the first question I'd ask is "what happens after the initial project is over" - and that would put me pretty much off the college-student route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

John,

If your not interested then there is no need to knock the idea. This is the way most small business get a foot hold in the market. But if everyone is going to be negative like you then the country will never get out of the recession. Obviously if the idea is successful then I would be using and paying the designer for other business ideas i have.

So stop wasting time posting negative and come up a business idea yourself and help this country get back on its feet.

Hi King,

What's your requirements? You got any plans or do you want someone to plan it out and build?

What level of function is required? Will it be used for shopping or anything like that? It really depends on the nature of the site. I think it's a good idea to post it. It gives people a good oppurtunity.

I'm building myself a website at the moment more so to skill up since I haven't really focused on web development since I left college. I'm more into non web based applications in my current work.

Lots of budding web developers around that could do it no problem.

Hi Wompa. Thanks for your positive post. I have all the text and pics ready to go but I don't know how to put all together to build website.

Also I not sure how to arrange text so it would come in high on the list when it is googled.

So I don't think it would take much effort for a web developer to get website up and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Reminds me of a 27bslash6 article: http://www.27bslash6.com/p2p2.html
    Love those stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

take a look at the sticky for skills swap - you may be able to offer something in return for help with your website

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Good idea fifib.

I'm inclined to agree with some of the replies, it might be tricky to find someone who will do the site for free. However, if it's a good idea and you'll need ongoing web mainenance you might find someone who will do the site for a small percentage of the returns. That way they have a personal interest in doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

This guy is looking for small businesses to build websites for free as part of his college project I think

http://www.adverts.ie/321164/free-stuff/free-website/

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Hi Wompa. Thanks for your positive post. I have all the text and pics ready to go but I don't know how to put all together to build website.

Also I not sure how to arrange text so it would come in high on the list when it is googled.

So I don't think it would take much effort for a web developer to get website up and going.

What exactly are the website requirements? No. of pages, is it just text and images or anything more complex etc..
    And will it need regular updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to Web Design forum from Galway.

Do you have any websites that you like and want yours to look similar to?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,980 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, you actually want far more than just a website, so.

Good luck with getting that for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I know this was moved from another board, but I'm going to close this and ask you to out together a spec for what you want and post it in the Help Wanted thread at the head of the forum. If people are interested in helping they will PM you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement