Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about 14yr old being asked to leave school

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Aoifums wrote: »
    I have to suggest this, and since you said he is smart, is there any chance he is gifted? Hate the label but it has to do sometimes. Could he be somewhere in the top few percent (IQ wise)?
    I am and I've noticed it with a couple of friends, but we all seem to hate homework. I love learning but homework and study, which is all repetition, just bores me to death. I do it because I have to, but I felt a lot like your son seems to when I was his age.

This was my initial thought also. Children with a high IQ can abhor homework and find school work so easy that they get bored & lose focus. This can lead to disruption and confrontation with teachers. The level of frustration can be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It also has to have a point.

Pointless things are a bane to the gifted youngster. If he sees no point to it, then he wont do it. It cant be your point either, it has to be his.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

He sounds like me when I was younger. Difference being I managed to get away with not doing my homework alot of time. Made up a four page essay in English once on the spot ( was pretending to read out of my copy ). Alot of our teachers wouldn't take up copies everyday and just asked us to call stuff out witch I was able to do and when did take stuff up I had "forgot" my copy that day. I passed the junior with 9 HL honours while putting in zero effort. Had to do TY in my school and by the end of it I was at stage were I considered dropping because I just dident really care about anything we learnt in school

Over the Summer I done a thing in DCU called Summer Scholars and it rekindled my interest in learning ( sort of like a mini intro college course) I done politics International relations and law and I was lucky enough to be fascinated by it . I set a goal for myself (study law and political science at Trinity 555 points). To get such high points I have to put in the work. I still am a bit of a slacker when it comes to homework but I am actually doing the work now.

Something like that ( CTYI maybe ) might help. Get him to look to what he want to do after school and realise that 90% of school is pointless crap but in the end its worth. Even getting him trough the JC by any means necessary is a good idea as in 5th year you have the points the aim

(typing this a 4am not the best idea so sorry if I am all over the place there :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Febe00 wrote: »
    Oh yes the schools main issue is no homework completed or half done in wrong copies etc, he has a lazy attitude as such and sometimes arrives to class with no book or supplies

He can not explain it he says and i quote " I just dont know why I CANT do it I just cant motivate myself, Im lazy when it comes to homework, I know it I dont need to do it"

Never thought I'd post in here but anyway. He really sounds like me in school. I just wouldn't do my homework. To this day I'm not sure why. I was very good in school so it wasn't that, I think it just bored me. I started this behaviour in 2nd or 3rd class and just got better at covering my tracks than I got at doing my homework. I remember the number of mornings in secondary school copying someone's homework so I wouldn't get caught. Nothing could make me do the homework, honestly a beating wouldn't have made me. Not sure what to tell you other than it isn't the end of the world. School isn't everything, college isn't either. I've always had to learn my own way, often the hard way but it all worked out well in the end and it can for him too. He's not out robbing grannies so while this is obviously stressful it could be a lot worse.

Didn't see this at the time but I was an independent free thinker and I hung around with other people like that and of our group 80% own their own businesses. gl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

santiago if you have an issue with a mod warning or action pm the mod, do not discuss it on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

If the other schools are wondering why he is moving at this time, could you tell them he is being bullied? Few could argue with that. I don't know if it's that simple though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

tigerblob wrote: »
    If the other schools are wondering why he is moving at this time, could you tell them he is being bullied? Few could argue with that. I don't know if it's that simple though.

Schools will want to know why a student is moving in the middle of the year and in small towns all the principals will know each other and formally or informally will get the heads up on a student. They don't want to take in an unknown quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Op, I've scanned the thread, and noticed you have issued a lot of punishment (grounding, taking of xbox etc.) but I havent spotted anywhere you mention that you've inspected his homework?? Could it be discussed with the school to get a verified list of what he should be doing for homework each night, and sit down and go through it with him? If he's not doing it because he just doesnt want to, you can then catch him out on this, if he's struggling with bits, you can help him along.

Advertisement