Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bit ,what would you do??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

pokertalk wrote: »
    where does it say that the dog has already bitten:confused:

You said the dog bit the baby. What I was saying was that if they chose to leave the dog with the baby again the need some therapy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You're trying to defend an animal attacking a baby. Unbelievable the things you read sometimes.

First off - I'd call child services, then get the dog put down.

Call child services for what??

The dog is old and blind. It was left alone with a child which should never have happened so the parents were irresponsible and have realised what can happen when you are irresponsible.

The poor dog was probably scared and just reacted. It shouldnt have to pay the price for someone elses mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

andreac wrote: »

The dog is old and blind. It was left alone with a child which should never have happened so the parents were irresponsible and have realised what can happen when you are irresponsible.

The poor dog was probably scared and just reacted. It shouldnt have to pay the price for someone elses mistake.

i suspect child services would say.. god that was terrible and thats about it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So why, when a dog bites, it seems to always be your opinion that somebody else is at fault, anybody or thing except for the dog?? Some dogs bite, they're animals, the sooner people start realising this the better

CoalBucket wrote: »
    You said the dog bit the baby. What I was saying was that if they chose to leave the dog with the baby again the need some therapy.
    oh soz . its just the way you worded it it kinda sounded like the dog had done this before

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    So why, when a dog bites, it seems to always be your opinion that somebody else is at fault, anybody or thing except for the dog?? Some dogs bite, they're animals, the sooner people start realising this the better
    she is not really defending the dog she already said that it was the owners fault

scudzilla wrote: »

Are you singling me out?? Where else have i said that its never the dogs fault:confused:.

Most dogs have a reason for biting and dont just do it for the fun of it. There is nearly always a reason for it and its almost clear why this dog lashed out.

The sooner people take responsibility for their stupid and irresponsible actions and stop putting blame on the dogs the better ,in my opinion.

This dog should have never been left unsupervised around the toddler and im sure the dog could have done a lot more damage but he backed off as soon as he realised what he had done. The poor thing cant even see so how was he to know it was a child, it could have been another dog for all he knew:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The dog is old and blind. It was left alone with a child which should never have happened so the parents were irresponsible

You just answered your own question.

Are you singling me out?? Where else have i said that its never the dogs fault:confused:.

Most dogs have a reason for biting and dont just do it for the fun of it. There is nearly always a reason for it and its almost clear why this dog lashed out.

The sooner people take responsibility for their stupid and irresponsible actions and stop putting blame on the dogs the better ,in my opinion.

This dog should have never been left unsupervised around the toddler and im sure the dog could have done a lot more damage but he backed off as soon as he realised what he had done. The poor thing cant even see so how was he to know it was a child, it could have been another dog for all he knew:(
    to be fair to them andreac they were there but it happened quickly ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In that case I would say they need to invest in a crate or a babygate asap. The dog will likely be alot more careful now, I'm sure it got a fright. But if it was to happen again then the parents are going to feel so guilty.

• Advertisement

They know the dog doesnt like children that much, so why put the dog in a situation then where hes not comfortable? They need to be a lot more careful and keep the dog totally away from the child then.

Whispered wrote: »
    In that case I would say they need to invest in a crate or a babygate asap. The dog will likely be alot more careful now, I'm sure it got a fright. But if it was to happen again then the parents are going to feel so guilty.
    yep totally agree .

most of us on this forum have dogs and although alot of our dogs may be great with children, if one of our dogs bit a child even though its so out of charactor are we being neglectfull. i know the dog in the original post was not great with kids and that he should be seperated at all times but im just wondering what some people think of a happy go lucky dog biting. should we all have our dogs seperate at all times even supervised things can go wrong as we truly do not know what the dog may be thinking. just thought i would put that one out there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

I have to wonder sometimes if half the people on this forum actually even like animals.

It's clear in this case that the parents made an unfortunate mistake which they hopefully won't repeat. The elderly ailing dog hardly leapt like a slavering monster across the room to savage their baby. He got a fright and reacted naturally and let go immediately.

There are easy steps they can take to prevent any more accidents which do not involve killing their pet of 13 long years.

There are lots of people here who have given good advice re. keeping children and dogs separated, tips on positive use of a crate and toys to help with this. I personally think all the other kind of posts regarding killing and slapping and child services are sensationalist and unnecessary. Pets are not disposable to be discarded when things get difficult. The OPs friends have to take responsibility for their decision to have this dog and step up and put in the effort.

sionnaic wrote: »
    I have to wonder sometimes if half the people on this forum actually even like animals.

It's clear in this case that the parents made an unfortunate mistake which they hopefully won't repeat. The elderly ailing dog hardly leapt like a slavering monster across the room to savage their baby. He got a fright and reacted naturally and let go immediately.

There are easy steps they can take to prevent any more accidents which do not involve killing their pet of 13 long years.

There are lots of people here who have given good advice re. keeping children and dogs separated, tips on positive use of a crate and toys to help with this. I personally think all the other kind of posts regarding killing and slapping and child services are sensationalist and unnecessary. Pets are not disposable to be discarded when things get difficult. The OPs friends have to take responsibility for their decision to have this dog and step up and put in the effort.
    its not really advice i was seeking more so what people would do in the owners shoes.so in effect they are entitlled to theri opinion and debate it as long as it is within reason . the dog being pts or ringing social services is their opinion which they are entitled to dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please, can we distinguish between "bite" and "nip"?

This was a warning nip; had the dog wanted to bite it could and would have done so.

Some of the replies here! Maybe a wind-up fluffy toy is what some are seeking, a machine rather than a living creature?

There was a thread long ago when I said that our collie had once, greatly provoked, nipped someone. A BITER some said! Collie has never even tried to nip us not once; did not even attack the old man who beat her recently. Yet some here would label her as aggressive.

Every animal has its limits. These need respect.

Yes, it was the fault of the adults, once again. Totally. The dog did what was totally appropriate given the situation.

Wonderful some of the compassionate replies here; thank you. Poor old dog, needing and deserving peace in these last months.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

its not really advice i was seeking more so what people would do in the owners shoes.so in effect they are entitlled to theri opinion and debate it as long as it is within reason . the dog being pts or ringing social services is their opinion which they are entitled to dont you think?

Yes of course you're right - people are entitled to their opinion just as I am entitled to be horrified by some of those opinions. Having to have my 12-year-old dog pts due to a serious illness absolutely broke my heart and remains as one of the most upsetting times of my life so it truly disturbs me to hear people be so cavalier about it without even trying to address the problem.

As for me, I don't have to wonder what I would do in this situation because I have actually been in a similar situation and the way I handled it was by putting in the time, money and effort to address the problem

1. Keeping dog and human in question safely separated
    2. Changing to a better vet who gave great advice on health tests and behaviour, even though it meant driving 40 minutes out of my way to her practice compared to the other vet just 5 mins down the road
    3. Consulting with a great trainer who uses only positive methods
    4. Putting in massive effort in special training every day before and after work and weekends, in rain, hail or shine, my own exhaustion notwithstanding
    5. Keeping my temper even when the dog frustrated me to the point of breaking
    6. Keeping my resolve, putting up with other people's (friends and family members included) "just get rid of him" attitudes
    7. Driving a 100 mile round-trip every Tuesday evening after work to go to a good and suitable training class with the dog
    8. Buying the necessary supporting equipment such as gates, toys, training tools
    9. Sacrificing my own convenience for the good of both the dog and the human in question

And why did I put myself through all of this rather than just hitting him an almighty slap and throwing him into the vets to be pts?

Because I love my dog and when I chose to adopt him I took full responsibility for his health, behaviour and well-being.

Anyone who can't say the same thing about their pet then doesn't deserve the privilege of having one, and that's my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

ok so a freind of a freind has a 12-13 year old terrier cross. she also has a 10 month baby girl. the dog likes to be on his own alot and does not really like kids that much. but a couple of days ago the dog bit the babys face whilst playing on the floor and left some bad teeth marks on the baby.as far as i know they said it was unprovoked and that as soon as it bit the dog let go.they are not going to get the dog put down because it was so quick and he stopped after one bite . im not too sure what i would do myself .the dog is blind and suffers from incontinence .what would you do??

I'd have the mother put down.

People talking about putting a dog to sleep based on their own irresponsible actions are beyond belief. Completely.
    The dog was BLIND. It NIPPED and moved off.
    This is not some blood thirsty killer we have here.
    Keep them separate from now on, as much for hygiene as anything else, and that's that.

If you can't be bothered to deal with a dog properly, if you view it as a nuisance and want it pts or give it away at the slightest provocation or lapse in your own judgement, then wtf do you have a dog for in the first place? Get a wind up toy or a stuffed animal!!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Sounds to me dog is suffering blind and incoherent,prob so used to life without a baby and now he's blind theres a new sound movement probably don't know whats happening.Dog is most likely scared
    I'm a firm believer in introducing dogs to new children and not separating them as they will become jealous of the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I came across this post by chance, not having ever posted in Animal and Pet Issues.

There's a lot of nonsense on here about the dog. It seems to me that the owners are the ones that need some "punishment", whatever that would be. The animal acted as an animal would.

However, what's even more horrifying (and I say this as the immensely proud father of a new baby:D), is that not one poster has expressed any concern for the continuing welfare of the child. Has the baby recovered from the bite? Does it need any shots following the nip, bite (whatever you want to call it)?

Frankly, the child's welfare should be uppermost...end of story.

I always considered animal lovers to be considerate and considered people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If it were my dog no way would I be putting it to sleep and i would be giving myself a massive, well earned kick on the butt for allowing my best friend(dog) to be put in a situation like that.
    It says more about the people than the dog that they would allow their child near the dog that does not like kids and also allow her baby near a dog that is blind and incontinent.
    If it happened to me i would be mortified.

Churchview the childs welfare should be foremost and is with everyone but people are answering the OP's question which was specifically about pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

churchview wrote: »
    However, what's even more horrifying (and I say this as the immensely proud father of a new baby:D), is that not one poster has expressed any concern for the continuing welfare of the child. Has the baby recovered from the bite? Does it need any shots following the nip, bite (whatever you want to call it)?

Congratulations!

The reason we are discussing the dog, and how to keep the child and dog safe is because it's an animal forum. The question was "should the dog be pts". Of course the childs welfare is most important hence the suggestions of keeping them seperate; to ensure it doesn't happen again.

To be fair, it's a bit rude to tell people, who are trying to help, that they are inconsiderate. I'm going to put it down to lack of sleep with a new baby. :p

ppink wrote: »
    the childs welfare should be foremost and is with everyone but people are answering the OP's question which was specifically about pts.

I agree to an extent, but I still think it's bizarre that the dog's welfare appear to be the only interest. Of course, it's an animal forum, but it's weird that noone thought to question how the poor kid is.

Congratulations!

I'm going to put it down to lack of sleep with a new baby. :p

Can't argue about the lack of sleep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

10 month old child and a blind old incontinent dog left together on the floor without supervision.

Take the child away and give it to someone with half a brain tbh. Safest course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

I came across this post by chance, not having ever posted in Animal and Pet Issues.

There's a lot of nonsense on here about the dog. It seems to me that the owners are the ones that need some "punishment", whatever that would be. The animal acted as an animal would.

You said exactly what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The OP asked re the dog.... and all of us who know dogs read clearly that the skin was not pierced and the OP made no mention of any real injury

And the difference between nip and bite is not semantics.

And of course congratulations on the wee one;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'm not sure a blind dog makes for a suitable house pet considering what a distraction a new rugrat can be. Surely it belongs somewhere it can it can get full and proper attention. My uncles dog was blind and it kept walking into things. That's what may well have happened in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

They left a blind dog who doesn't like kids, with a 10 month old child? That is very irresponsible tbh. The dog should not be pts, the owners just need to make sure the child and the dog are not left unsupervised again. (That should really go without saying.)

How hygienic can be be to have a toddler (?) on the floor with an incontinent dog?

+1!! This whole quote is exactly what came into my mind.

Also, sorry i haven't quoted properly here, someone above was basically saying, "don't put the dog to sleep, he was probably provoked, and anyway he's blind so of course he got a fright" etc etc... but that's EXACTLY the problem - he's going to be provoked a LOT if he's in a house with a little baby crawling around after him. And he's not going to stop being blind anytime soon either, so the 'surprised' issue is no less of a concern.

And incontinence alone would enough of a reason to seperate them -there's going to be drops of urine all over the floor of every room he's in.

I'm not saying he has to PTS but he really should be seperated from the child, whether in a different room/put outside/whatever works for them.

Our dog is old and a bit wary of how to act around my little niece... we all noticed, so we just keep them apart. When the baby is visiting, the dog goes outside, that's the way it is. We have a big fenced in garden and a cosy kennel out there for her, so she doesn't mind a bit!

Advertisement