Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who wants to help me make my gaming rig? ;B

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

kev_like wrote: »
    well basically i'm going to be playing a lot of FPS's and various MMORPG's so i'll be looking to run all them in ultra and have a grand time doing it, if you think i7 would be best for it then i'll go i7, tbh don't know too much about i5/i7 and the differences between the two ect.

the main difference for me was the fact that if i wished to i could add three cards in sli or crossfire as well as having three way RAM slots, thats why i went for an i7 over an i5

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

the main difference for me was the fact that if i wished to i could add three cards in sli or crossfire as well as having three way RAM slots, thats why i went for an i7 over an i5

I'd say i'm basically going to go for an i7, due to it seems to have a lot more options as to what you want to do, and do it efficently, now just to sort out what one ect, I myself am new to the whole building experience so i'm basically dumbfounded with all the options of gpu/cpu's ect ect..

well at the time i bought an i7 930 over a 950 because i heard off of some people on this forum that some 950's where having problems overclocking which i will be doing shortly (either way the 950 is just a slightly overclocked 930) when i get my NOCTUA D14 cpu cooler, but a i7 will probably last you a good bit longer than a i5 as well so in the end if you have the € its the better option to go with

well at the time i bought an i7 930 over a 950 because i heard off of some people on this forum that some 950's where having problems overclocking which i will be doing shortly (either way the 950 is just a slightly overclocked 930) when i get my NOCTUA D14 cpu cooler, but a i7 will probably last you a good bit longer than a i5 as well so in the end if you have the € its the better option to go with

Well basically i've about 1,600 to spend on the actual rig itself, so I just need a tech nut to make out an 1,600 build for me basically and i'll work off it myself.

i basically spent the same on my rig
    here (near the bottom of the page) but i had to get everything, i also bought a gtx 460 as i didnt want to blow too much money on a gpu till the hd 6900 series came out and so i spent more on everything else but my i7 and my gigabyte motherboard are great pieces of kit

• Advertisement

i basically spent the same on my rig
    here (near the bottom of the page) but i had to get everything, i also bought a gtx 460 as i didnt want to blow too much money on a gpu till the hd 6900 series came out and so i spent more on everything else but my i7 and my gigabyte motherboard are great pieces of kit

When exactly are the hd6900's coming out? would it not be worth my while to go for something along the lines of SLi 470s or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

just to get the ball rolling, hope i didnt miss anything. also bear in mind this is my own preferences and savings can be made going for lesser parts

you could get rid of the gfx card and wait for the new ones which will run you over budget. in that case swap the ssd for the 64gb version and that will save you another 90quid towards the card. or else get this and then get another 6870 for crossfire when you can afford it. alternatively for immediate bang for your buck go a bit over the 1600 budget and swap 6870 for 2 6850's which you could overclock.

cartb.jpg

indough wrote: »
    just to get the ball rolling, hope i didnt miss anything. also bear in mind this is my own preferences and savings can be made going for lesser parts

you could get rid of the gfx card and wait for the new ones which will run you over budget. in that case swap the ssd for the 64gb version and that will save you another 90quid towards the card. or else get this and then get another 6870 for crossfire when you can afford it. alternatively for immediate bang for your buck go a bit over the 1600 budget and swap 6870 for 2 6850's which you could overclock.

cartb.jpg

Really liking this build man, might go for it tbh. Just wana make sure this is everything I need, nothing missing?

Then onto picking out which headset/mouse/keyboard to go for :D

ok wait for some of the other posters on here to pick it apart first as theres bound to be possible improvements i overlooked

ok wait for some of the other posters on here to pick it apart first as theres bound to be possible improvements i overlooked

Will do, i'm just sorting out my online AIB account now anyway to make the order, need to take out a loan monday so i've till then to sort the order 100%.

This looks like a good build but i'd like for another few people to have a look off it hopefully and see if it's all compatible ect and if it's the best I can get for my money. So if you're reading this don't hesitate to lend a hand towards this :) Hoping to make my first build worth my time and money :)

• Advertisement

you could also replace the motherboard, cpu and ssd with:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-ultimate-bundle--includes-p6x58d-e-motherboard---core-i7-930-2-8ghz-processor--7402.html

http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-64gb-realssd-c300-2-5--ssd-sata-6gb-s-7246.html

totaling €545.47 (including shipping). this would of course half your ssd space and be perhaps a slightly inferior motherboard, but would also save you just about enough to buy a second 6870 right now and only go a small bit over the 1600 (i think by about 20-25 quid or something). these items wuld cost you 580 inc. shipping on hwvs but all the other items are cheaper on hwvs.

you could also replace the motherboard, cpu and ssd with:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-intel-ultimate-bundle--includes-p6x58d-e-motherboard---core-i7-930-2-8ghz-processor--7402.html

http://www.dabs.ie/products/crucial-64gb-realssd-c300-2-5--ssd-sata-6gb-s-7246.html

totaling €545.47 (including shipping). this would of course half your ssd space and be perhaps a slightly inferior motherboard, but would also save you just about enough to buy a second 6870 right now and only go a small bit over the 1600 (i think by about 20-25 quid or something). these items wuld cost you 580 inc. shipping on hwvs but all the other items are cheaper on hwvs.

Tbh I think i'll just work out what monitor ect i'm going for now then i'll see my exact limit on how much i've to spend on everything else.
    I'll get back to you in a few mins.

Basically I've worked out which monitor ect i'm getting and deducted it from my total budget, so to work with i've around 1665 euro.

kev_like wrote: »
    When exactly are the hd6900's coming out? would it not be worth my while to go for something along the lines of SLi 470s or something?

well as far as ive heard there meant to be out for the end of November maybe some else can tell you for definite

well as far as ive heard there meant to be out for the end of November maybe some else can tell you for definite

Looked it up and it said the week of december 13th, too long for me to wait tbh, going to go for the build indough set out, just waiting for others to check it out and see what they think of it.

Advertisement