Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Issue

Options
  • 11-11-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Hope this is the right place to post this but mods feel free to move if needs be.

Anyways moved into an apartment on 15th November 2009 and got a TV Licence about a week later or so. I paid up and it expired 31st Oct 2010 (two weeks ago). Anyways I am moving out next monday which is exactly one year after moving in. I got a final notice to pay TV licence today for €160.00.

Now the issue is i am moving out but moving back to parents so dont need a TV licence. I will be getting another place but maybe a few weeks or a month maybe two depends when i find a place i like.

If i was moving to another place of my own next week I would just pay the licence fee and transfer it to the new place when i get there but i am unsure when i will find somewhere i like so dont want to pay the licence and not use it for months and months you know.

Any thoughts on what can do here?

Chris

p.s. further issue i am keeping the Cable on here as i dont want to cancel my digital TV and reconnect to start a new contract for 12 months with them as hoping to have a new place in few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

dont be panicing over it. they wont come after you cos they dont know were you are , what i mean is you are moving, in the mean time they will be sending you out letters saying there is no tv licence for that address on thier records. we moved a year ago , licence was gone ages plus we were getting post as in tv reminders for the other occuipers of that lived there before us, the thing is the only address they have for you is the one your moving from.for a full year we got letters from postoffice,was the same letter all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Just ring the number on the renewal notice its an 096 number and just tell them that you no longer live at that address and that the new address has a licence. problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Shelflife wrote: »
    Just ring the number on the renewal notice its an 096 number and just tell them that you no longer live at that address and that the new address has a licence. problem solved.

Yeah suppose its that simple i guess. i know they have access to whether people are subscribed to TV provider and would see i am still subcribed till i get the new place so may sound iffy to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Shelflife wrote: »

Exactly. licence registered to address not person. Youre in the clear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

chris85 wrote: »
    Yeah suppose its that simple i guess. i know they have access to whether people are subscribed to TV provider and would see i am still subcribed till i get the new place so may sound iffy to them.

Isn't that illegal? Under the data protection act?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

When you move to your own apartment again and look for a new licence your name will pop-up if you own any monies and they will send you out a notice to the new address.They also call at houses and look to see your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

dan1895 wrote: »
    Isn't that illegal? Under the data protection act?

I would have thought so too but maybe the legislation governing the licence allows it. Its only something i have heard so not sure.
    When you move to your own apartment again and look for a new licence your name will pop-up if you own any monies and they will send you out a notice to the new address.They also call at houses and look to see your licence.

When i move to new place could be a number of weeks. I will give them a call monday when i am officially moved out. Will tell them the letting agents who looks after the place and they will be able to see the place advertised for let anyways.

Advertisement