Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatons, Charlestown repeated till errors

Options
  • 11-11-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Bought some items - at home checked my receipts and several items were charged more than on the label. Brought them back and got my refund. It was only a few euros but it mounts up.

At the same time was buying several different items which I had added up and lo and behold same thing happened on another item.
    I will never leave a shop again without double checking my receipt against my buys.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

maringo wrote: »
    Bought some items - at home checked my receipts and several items were charged more than on the label. Brought them back and got my refund. It was only a few euros but it mounts up.

At the same time was buying several different items which I had added up and lo and behold same thing happened on another item.
    I will never leave a shop again without double checking my receipt against my buys.:D

Very good. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thats just standard for that shop - it always take at least 20 mins to do a transaction, as they are alway wrong and you have to wait for the manager to correct it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Never had a problem in either shop in waterford. Maybe they had a price change, sterling has changed in the last 3 months, maybe that store didnt get the new labels on the stock in time for the update. Did you speak to a manager and get a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Forgot to say I find the staff on the tills very helpful and pleasant. I'll continue shopping there but will be watching the prices. But then, it's up to us the consumers to be aware - i'll be bringing my calculator shopping in future :p

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

No, didn't bother asking for a manager. Just got my refunds and put in the charity box on the counter. It wasn't the amount of money - it was more the fact of so many items being priced lower than the price charged when scanned at the till. Its totally unacceptable in my view - more especially in these times when budgets are stretched to the limit. An overcharge of e1 on an item costing e3 is some extra markup!
    I'm turning into a crank........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tesco's are notorious for this as well!:D

Thank God for the no quibble refund. One time I went to Mahon and got back E25 AND my goods!:cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco's are notorious for this as well!:D

Thank God for the no quibble refund. One time I went to Mahon and got back E25 AND my goods!:cool:

I beat that- I got a whole case of maple cured rashers- over a hundred Euro worth, totally free (still have a drawer full in the freezer). I've also gotten over 20 boxes of Youngs beer battered sea bass. Protein sorted for the next millenia.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's not a till error, it's a label error. Something IS a certain price and the till will scan it at that, it is up to the retailer to make sure tags and labels are right. Most retailers will oblige you and change the price to what the tag says- but this is not the price and they're not obliged to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's not a till error, it's a label error. Something IS a certain price and the till will scan it at that, it is up to the retailer to make sure tags and labels are right. Most retailers will oblige you and change the price to what the tag says- but this is not the price and they're not obliged to do that.

Sorry, but you're wrong!! If the tag quotes 'X', but the till rings it in at a different price to the one seen, then LEGALLY the store is obliged to sell you that item at the price seen.

The difference is (pardon the pun!) is that Tesco will refund you the entire price and give you the goods. Other (Irish) stores will merely refund you the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Sorry, but you're wrong!! If the tag quotes 'X', but the till rings it in at a different price to the one seen, then LEGALLY the store is obliged to sell you that item at the price seen.

The difference is (pardon the pun!) is that Tesco will refund you the entire price and give you the goods. Other (Irish) stores will merely refund you the difference.

She's not wrong. Corruptedmorals has worked in retail for years and as far as I can see she knows her stuff. A price tag that differs to the price on the till falls under "the invitation to treat" part of consumer law. A retailer is not obliged to sell it to you at that price and you are free to refuse to purchase it at the other price.

Tesco's policy is just that -- a policy. If you are not made aware of the price difference at the time of purchase, you can bring the goods back and get your cash back. You're not entitled to anything more.

ETA: They could be done for deceptive practice if it can proved that they have a history of knowingly misrepresenting prices but that's a whole other tangent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A store is under no obligation to sell you the goods at the price marked. Pricing errors can, and do, happen. The problem arises when the errors are consistent and repeated.

From Consumer Connect website:

Legal obligations

Shops have legal obligations to display truthful actual prices, previous prices and recommended prices of their goods and services.
    But if a shop makes an honest mistake - for example, some labels are wrong and the marked price is lower than what the price should be - you don't have an automatic right to buy the goods at the marked price.
    All these laws are about protecting your rights as a consumer, and about helping you to compare prices and make informed choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, it's a shame that the widespread practice of offering the customer the price on the tag when there's a mistake (nothing wrong with good customer service) makes people think it's the law to do so.

These errors are not uncommon where I worked- people forgetting to check the price on the delivery dockets. Always changed for the customer but you can be sure the price was immediately changed to reflect the correct price.

The till is always right in relation to sale items- the price may have gone down further than what the tag says, also very common occurrence. The instances in where it's NOT right is supermarket promos, where the system isn't updated and the till scans them at full price. You would think Tesco's policy would mean that these promo errors and label errors would have dramatically reduced- doesn't seem to be the case.

The policy in Tesco does work in the sense that that the correct price is put out immediately when a customer finds it.

It has to be done by a manager, which means they can look up who was supposed to change that SEL and when by scanning it.

This means that person can be reprimanded immediately.

Advertisement