Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desktop no longer fits screen.

• 11-11-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is an easy fix but I've googled and none of the suggested paths have rectified the problem.

Basically I turned on my pc this evening and the desktop is too big for the screen at any resolution above 1280/768 give or take. Ie: at resolutions above that the real estate goes beyond the edges of the visual monitor and I have to mouse over to get a visual. Like a RTS map or something.

Things I've tried that haven't worked.
    Resetting the monitor.
    Installing new drivers for g card.
    Playing with monitor settings. Some are locked/greyed out and I can't figure out how to unlock that though.
    Making sure that multiple monitors is turned off, since that was suggested on some other forums as a fix for similar problems.
    Restarting in safe mode. Problem still exists just not as many higher res available for it to cause problems in.
    Turning off pc, checking hardware connections etc.
    Changing via nvidia panel rather than control.
    Changing monitor refresh rate.

So please, someone embarass me please, and say "Have you tried <obvious answer> yet?". Cause I'm a little annoyed by now. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Could you borrow a monitor and try it out?
    That will certainly narrow things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Not at the mo. Will tomorrow though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

are you sure you haven't turned on the screen magnifier by accident? :) part of windows ease of access..

I'll take a.look at those settings as well, thanks.

Ok.

Finally got my hands on another monitor, problem persists...

Nothing in Accessibility Options that seems related is on.

I'm out of ideas, other than pulling the graphics card. I think I have an old one knocking around somewhere. Pain in the @ss. :(

• Advertisement

no onboard graphics? tried a different video cable? what the OS and gfx card?

[edit] i know you've more than likely seen these already, but sure..
    http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=screen+resolution+bigger+than+monitor&aq=1&aqi=g2g-m3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=2730913dbb190280
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=46413
    I'd try downloading an older driver for it.

Yeah, I've gone through most of about five pages of google search pages. I hadn't updated my drivers recently, last time was about two months ago when I last installed a new game so I doubt it's that but we'll see when I rollback.

XP SP3, Nvidia 9500 GT

yeah, i'd go with older drivers. Uninstall the current driver, then choose th older driver yourself. I have my doubts it's anything in the bios, but i was wrong once back in 1995, so it could happen again i guess :pac: cables have fu(ked with my head before too, but not like this.

Cheers wooly. I'm off to bed now, I'll rollback tomorrow after work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 riseagains

not to be smart, but did you try to right click on the desktop, graphic properties/opions and click on maintain aspect ratio??

• Advertisement
Advertisement