Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting another 460, and some questions about psu and mobo

Options
  • 11-11-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

recently i bought a nice pc, specs are sig.

I have a 700w cooler master silent pro psu which is modular, but i dont think theres enuff connections on it as a single 460 uses 2 pins to supply the power.

Also my mobo is a p55 gd 80 from msi, I read somewhere if i go sli the 2nd gpu wont be running in a 16x lane or something similar.

Help is appreciated thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

I think you only need 450W for SLi so your 700W will be plenty, really once your PSU is rated for SLi you should be ok.

You will only really drop some frames (not much at all) at the very higher frame-rates 100++ when running SLi x8 x8 so it nothing to worry about your average frame rate will vastly improve and without SLi you rarely get an opportunity to every see 100++ frame-rates.

But more importantly is why your going SLi its really only worth it if your going with either more than one monitor or your going with 24" monitor otherwise your not really getting the value.

Hope it helps

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You have a 50 amp 12V rail so more than enough power for both GT 460s. As you lack PCIe connectors what you will have to do is get two (2xMolex to PCIe) adapters. As you have a single 12V rather than multi rail you won't have to worry about balancing the load or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just bumping this again before I order another card, just got some spare cash together.

Are peoples opinions that my psu is definately enough considering my i5 is overclocked and my 460s will be too...

Just want to be sure, I value the above opinions too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Power%20Consumption.png

Power.png

I'm not the person to listen to on this one, as I've no clue..., but going by the above I'd assume you'd hit problems running everything under load...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ye thanks cm, so confused, i guess i cud try it out

Im sure everything at stock would be fine, but whats the point:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

IMHO you should be fine, but may have very little margin left from that 600W of 12V power if you OC. It depends on the severity of the OC - a moderate speed boost may only incur a fraction of the power penalty you'd get from a major OC that needs a big voltage hike to remain stable (e.g. 3.5GHz vs 4.2GHz on an i5). If you want to OC all three chips heavily its <=1kW time :o

Advertisement