Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning on the lights.

Options
  • 11-11-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Someone told me the Christmas street-lights in town are being turned on tomorrow, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I dunno but its way to early. I would wait another two weeks if I were them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Don't know myself but they should at least wait until December 1st to do it! I hate seeing all the xmas stuff up in late October!! :mad: Really ruins xmas (for me at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just heard on the radio its happening at 5pm today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Oh No!! Its only November 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

To be honest the quality of the lights this year are shíte. Stupid looking rectangular yokes covering only about half the width of the street. Bring back the days of all the tinsil covered lights that actually looked half decent there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

To be honest the quality of the lights this year are shíte. Stupid looking rectangular yokes covering only about half the width of the street. Bring back the days of all the tinsil covered lights that actually looked half decent there.

Cork used to look unreal during the early 90s, they used to put in a ball of effort and it really showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

oeb wrote: »
    Cork used to look unreal during the early 90s, they used to put in a ball of effort and it really showed.

Exactly!! I remember going in as a kid for the turning on of the lights and the crowds in there were unreal.

Oh and they arent doing all that stuff to the peace park are they this year? Thought that actually looked quite nice at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Oh and they arent doing all that stuff to the peace park are they this year? Thought that actually looked quite nice at night time.

they are as far as I know. I think it's from around the 26th, but I can't remember where I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I went into town for it this evening. Somehow I missed the turning on of the lights that span Pana but I saw the Lord Mayor on a pedestrian street near the Apple/CompuB store.

It was underwhelming. There were about twenty people standing around a button on a lectern. The button only turned on the three lights on that pedestrian street, however. It probably made a good photo but was a bit ridiculous to see first-hand.

Did I miss something? Was there something more going on in Bishop Lucey Park or what? Another silly thing is it was still pretty bright when they did it, around ten past five or so.

Anybody else see this... spectacle?

sounds grim :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I passed back through town with my camera to take some shots of Patrick Street. I didn't even take the camera out of the case - it's very poor. there are some nice touches, but it's really nothing like the Patrick Street of old.
    Hopefully Oliver Plunkett St. will make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Could someone post a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I might take a few pics in the next few days, if I do I'll throw them up here.

Advertisement