Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Room/Playroom Advice

• 11-11-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

Advice requested please :o

Have to build a room onto existing bungalow to cater for needs of growing kids, ages 11, 8 and 4. Basically they need a place to watch TV and store their toys. I have 3 options -

1. Build a 12x10 room with leanto style roof onto the gable end of the house (patio doors already in situ so fairly clean job). Room is a it small though and space is restricted in this location so I can't go any bigger. PP is also required.

2. Build a 14x12 room off the existing kitchen (again via patio doors). Problem here is that I'd be tying into a hipped roof and the job will probably be much more expensive, but I can do it without PP.

3. I have a large (30x20) half steel shed in which I could build a room. Much cheaper :D but less 'family' oriented. I doubt the kids would use it on wet and windy nights unless I also construct a 'corridor' out to it from the house :rolleyes: But I am considering it.

Advice welcome.

PS: Any idea roughly how much will each option might cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi,

I thing you have summed up the options very well, extending at the Gable end does require P.P and for a Sunroom budget 20-25K

At the rear of house P.P not required provided you have not any existing extentions to the original house, building a Sunroom here is a neater job, dont worry about tying in to the bungalow roof, I am attaching a photo showing how the roof will look, again on budget you may be looking at north of 25K depending on the finish.

Have you considered the loss of light to the existing house, imagine standing at the patio door, and the area on the inside will loose natural light, except if you have a window adjoining or in the gable.

A less expensive solution in this case, would be a Conservatory, no loss of light, additional space achieved, and at a lower cost.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭westtipp

Hi Martin
    Thanks a million for the feedback:). The photo you have attached is EXACTLY what I need for the rear of my house. The only difference is that mine would be facing the other way. To conserve light I'll have to put skylights or velux windows into the sunroom roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Here is my new extension, approx €35k for 5m x 5m

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

deck2.jpg[IMG][/img]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you the man. That pitch is a little worrying. How was the roof reinforced .

gsxr1 wrote: »
    you the man. That pitch is a little worrying. How was the roof reinforced .

I'll post some photos of the roof timbers during costruction (will have to be this evening, can't access photobucket from my work PC). I did have to do a lot of work to find a roof tile that would work at the low pitch (which was governed by the bedroom windows upstairs).

Jaysus, don't tell me I'll have to lay away at night worrying !!!!!!.

• Advertisement

youtheman wrote: »
    I'll post some photos of the roof timbers during costruction (will have to be this evening, can't access photobucket from my work PC). I did have to do a lot of work to find a roof tile that would work at the low pitch (which was governed by the bedroom windows upstairs).

Jaysus, don't tell me I'll have to lay away at night worrying !!!!!!.

I would have a word with your engineer who signed it off , if it is bothering you.

It just the big span and the low pitch that would need a bit of internal beefing up. If it was me who roofed it , I would.
    Im sure its OK if a professional has put his name to it.

Here are some photos of the roof trusses. All were bolted after the photos were taken. One photo shows a vertical member that is not well connected at the bottom, this was also bolted.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
    GetAttachmentaspx6.jpg
    GetAttachmentaspx5.jpg
    GetAttachmentaspx4.jpg
    GetAttachmentaspx3.jpg
    GetAttachmentaspx1.jpg

wow. they used massive timbers.

I would not worry on bit with that.

I seen a roof once similar to yours. Had a vaulted ceiling, with a ring beam around the whole perimeter .

The chippy building it used collars ties but put them way to high.

once half the roof was loaded with tiles , it collapsed. pushing the ring beam apart and the ridge fell to the ground. Messy.....

Yours does not have a vaulted ceilings and has 7x2? as ceiling joists. Looks strong as hell. Great job.

Thanks gsxr1 for the 'second opinion'.

Advertisement