Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how many bikes sold in Ireland

• 11-11-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey,

does anyone know how many bikes are sold in Ireland annually? hoping to distribute a new bike product, and trying to find out about the the market size!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Whats the product? or do we have to guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Just google it. Simple enough. Makes me wonder how successful you will be if you haven't done that yet. Do I now get 10% of your profit for being so goddamn smart-ass clever?

http://www.bike-eu.com/facts-figures/market-reports/4276/eu-2009-eu-27-bicycle-sales.html

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you don't know the market size already, I would question why you are looking to do this sort of thing. It suggests you are not much of an expert on bikes in general, and the Irish market in particular.

Even understanding the overall potential market size may be pretty useless, as the nature of the product itself, and pricing will drive this. A €2k Power Meter will have a very small market. Now if you were to bring a new all-singing, all dancing Power Meter to the Irish market at €300, you may find a lot more interest, but it would only be from road cyclists, and probably not many MTB'ers or riders of BSOs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Handlebar Cup holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just google it. Simple enough. Makes me wonder how successful you will be if you haven't done that yet. Do I now get 10% of your profit for being so goddamn smart-ass clever?

http://www.bike-eu.com/facts-figures/market-reports/4276/eu-2009-eu-27-bicycle-sales.html

Interesting. So the UK sold 50x more bikes than us (in 2009) with only 15x the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ah jez guys be nice to the guy he might have the next new thing! Take it as a positive that the checked us before google:D
    Hwood, I for one would like to welcome you to boards, in particular to the cycling forum.
    I am curious about what the product is though??!

Do people think those figures look right for Ireland? Sales peaking in '08? I would have thought that '09 was still as high if not higher.
    Either way pretty dismal % sales compared to other countries though, kinda shows us up for the fat ass country we are:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Most of the bikes sold in all countries will be kids bikes, and the Ireland figure will be for the 3.5m approx population.

Coming from a real fat ass country, Scotland, I would confidently suggest Ireland's fitness and commuting cycling scene is relatively healthy, there are at least 5 new shops opened up in Dublin/wicklow that I know of, and Dublin are increasing the bike scheme from 2500 to 25000 bikes.

hope the OP is looking at the trends in the industry now, thats more important than the history.

www.bikebiz.com gives a good insight into the UK bike industry as it is now, Ireland is pretty similar. I worked in the bike trade for most of the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

prob going on dragons den, then he can say there were 70000 bikes sold we will get 10% of that market therefore we will sell 7000 units. better wear padding they hate that, they'll throw you down the stairs :D

hope it is the next big thing for you though - good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting. So the UK sold 50x more bikes than us (in 2009) with only 15x the population.
    That depends on how they are counting it. The likes of Wiggle/CRC/evans could have all their sales counted as UK which would skew the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Not to be too pedantic about it, but ...

Are you looking at the cycling population as a whole ? (or is it a particular sub-section - Kids, MTBs, Road racers ...)
    Are you looking at the number of new bike sales each year ? Are you trying to piggyback on the actual sale, in which case would you be focusing on the Irish-based sales or would you be able to capture non-Irish sales into Ireland (Wiggle etc.)

You have us all guessing now, so I hope you come back, at the right time, and give us the inside scoop on the new product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Whats the product? or do we have to guess?

Assos Bandana!

* crosses fingers *

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

A distributer can not survive on one product alone unless it's an out of this world product like an assos quality jacket for €20 which i doubt you have.

ps. On the off chance you do have such an item please call me i'll take 50.:D

www.chaindrivencycles.com

Advertisement