Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slovakian Restaurant Waterford

• 11-11-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone been to the Slovakian restaurant in Waterford? Would you recommend it or have you been there? Was thinking about going but no reviews on google etc

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Whats the name of the place? I havent heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Waterford from Food & Drink.

OP - You'll probably get a better response directly from the local posters.

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I haven't heard of one to be honest OP. Do you know the name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I saw an ad for this restaurant a few months back but could never find the actual restaurant. Is it even open?

Edit: It supposed to be in the Mary's Street vicinity for anyone who's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

It's called "SLOVENSKA" & it's been open a while. It's a hidden gem! The food is very good & the prices are fantastic. They do a great goulash soup. I'm surprised people are'nt packing the place out. I saw an ad for it in the free "What's On" guide. It's located on the corner opposite the B+B in Mary Street, close to the entrance to the Brewery. It used to be a steakhouse restaurant a few yrs back & O'Dwyers before then. I think the off-the-beaten track location of the restaurant is the reason most people have'nt been there. Thing is it's only about a 1 minute walk from the Bridge; less from the Fitzwilton Hotel.

Speaking of ethnic restaurants I passed a new Polish restaurant in O'Connell Street the other day. Its located in the old 'Haricots' premises. (Back of Dooleys Hotel near the Internet Cafe for those who don't recall Haricots). Looks pretty trendy from the outside.

And people say there's nothing different to do, see or eat in Waterford! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

It's called "SLOVENSKA" & it's been open a while. It's a hidden gem! The food is very good & the prices are fantastic. They do a great goulash soup. I'm surprised people are'nt packing the place out. I saw an ad for it in the free "What's On" guide. It's located on the corner opposite the B+B in Mary Street, close to the entrance to the Brewery. It used to be a steakhouse restaurant a few yrs back & O'Dwyers before then. I think the off-the-beaten track location of the restaurant is the reason most people have'nt been there. Thing is it's only about a 1 minute walk from the Bridge; less from the Fitzwilton Hotel.

Speaking of ethnic restaurants I passed a new Polish restaurant in O'Connell Street the other day. Its located in the old 'Haricots' premises. (Back of Dooleys Hotel near the Internet Cafe for those who don't recall Haricots). Looks pretty trendy from the outside.

And people say there's nothing different to do, see or eat in Waterford! :rolleyes:

I've heard of the Slovakian one but not the Polish one, must give both a try soon.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

It's called "SLOVENSKA" & it's been open a while. It's a hidden gem! The food is very good & the prices are fantastic.

I've tried Czech food (which I didn't like) and Romanian food (they have some nice soup and some other things, but lots of stodgy stuff). I expect Slovakian food is somewhere in between.

I've never been to that place but I hope it does well.

Czech food was indeed horrible when i was in Prague many years ago and we ate in some expensive places to play it safe (or so we thought). Put me right off eastern European food TBH. I'm sure they will do well and hope they do but with all the empty premesis I'd question where they set it up.

IIRC that steak place was top notch and it didn't make it down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yeah Slovenska has been there a few years,i havent eaten there myself but i have heard its very good and cheap and its number 14 out of the 41 resturaunts in Waterford on tripadvisor,also seen that new Polish place on O'Connell street,my ex is Polish and to be honest the food isnt to everybodys liking,i used to eat it just to keep her happy :),but Polish meats are very nice and there is a new Polish butchers on Bridge street where the green bank used to be,i haven't been in there but i would recommend the Polish sausages they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm sure they will do well and hope they do but with all the empty premesis I'd question where they set it up.

The Slovakian place has been there much longer than the steak place ever lasted!! As for the food I think anyone who tried it would be pleasantly surprised. For the non-adventureous their menu includes such Eastern European staples as pastas & pizzas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    Czech food was indeed horrible when i was in Prague many years ago and we ate in some expensive places to play it safe (or so we thought). Put me right off eastern European food TBH. I'm sure they will do well and hope they do but with all the empty premesis I'd question where they set it up.

I was getting local advice, but it was still bad. Though they had some nice sausages you could buy on the street.

I wonder if such a thing would be viable in Ireland, they have them almost everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I had a look at the menu and its much the same stuff you'd see on menus over there, it can be tasty and filling but not exactly spectacular. But fuck all that, they have zlaty bazant beer and staropramen too. I might just go there and get properly solid drunk on damn tasty beer. Who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

ive eaten there ---- best goulash soup ive ever tasted ---was like a mini stew ---
    has a steak - was like round steak - bout a pound weight for €11.00
    bottle of czech wine - quite nice for €16
    weird thing - Bread rolls are extra - but hot from the oven
    Ketchup 7 mayo - extra - in sachets -

enjoyable night with eastern European friends --- good food for the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cristina82

i have been to the restaurant a few times and i would highly recommend it, the food is lovely with very good portions and the prices are very reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Glad this place's existence has been confirmed. Will pay it a visit soon enough hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Branch

Cheers for the great reply.....Just the place isnt advertised that well and when I saw the prices I thought it was too good to be true. I must give it a visit next few weeks myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Went in there today so thought I'd post my thoughts.

Bear in mind I visited quite early (about 5:15pm) so I suppose there is a chance I didn't get the normal chef.

We ordered between us:

Rolled ham with horseradish (starter) and portion of bread rolls.

Steak with mushroom sauce
    Beef Goulash with Dumplings

Bottle of wine
    Pint Starupramen

Total price €56

Prices are definitely decent, service is good, music was a little naff when we where there though.

The ham starter had really, really thin slices of ham stuffed with what I presume is creme fraiche with some horseradish in it, and topped with more creme freche. Horseradish taste was VERY subtle. Took my partner 3 or 4 tastes before she could detect it at all. Ok when you are hungry, but the course was essentially bread rolls with cream.

Goulash was tasty, sauce was really nice consistency, and the beef was very tender, but it had WAY too much salt. Bear in mind I am fairly liberal with salt when I season meat and sauces while cooking for myself. Very salty. Also the the dumplings turned out to be steamed white bread with some chopped herbs on it. Portion was also smallish for such a rustic type dish I thought.

Steak was decently cooked, and the strong mushrooms with the sauce were lovely. Unfortunately, the cut of meat itself was pretty fatty and a little tough. Again way too much salt in this dish, whether in the sauce or the meat I am not sure. Also, personal peeve, they served a salad of lettuce, cucumber, sweetcorn and tomato on the same plate as a steak with this rich sauce/gravy. WTF ? Lettuce swimming in gravy is not something I want to have on my plate.

Disappointed really. Prices are decent, but you would get better food in some pubs for the same. Forgot how nice a beer Starupramen was though :-).

Reckon it would be a good place to bring a group if you wanted to sit in for a few hours and have some good eastern european beers (let's face it, they know how to make good beer over there) and an informal chat along with some unusual choices of food (the menu is quite extensive, and has something for everyone), the amount of salt should help the drink go down nicely. :D

Anyway, my 2c...YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

^ Now there's a review :)

Just out of curiosity did you know about the place or did you find out about it on this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Sorry... should have given this thread it's due in the review, I was completely oblivious to the restaurant's existence until I read about it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Went there myself with the OH a while ago and really liked it. I had the pork with dumplings and sauerkraut, and she had some chicken dish with chorizo. I washed mine down with some lovely Zlatý Bažant... mmmm!

I suppose Eastern European food isn't for everyone, but it's certainly a change from the norm, and the prices in that restaurant are very keen.

Went to the Polish restaurant (Koliba) too, and had lovely soup (żur). The staff there are lovely, and are delighted to have Irish people in to try their food.

Went in there today so thought I'd post my thoughts.

Bear in mind I visited quite early (about 5:15pm) so I suppose there is a chance I didn't get the normal chef.

We ordered between us:

Rolled ham with horseradish (starter) and portion of bread rolls.

Steak with mushroom sauce
    Beef Goulash with Dumplings

Bottle of wine
    Pint Starupramen

Total price €56

Prices are definitely decent, service is good, music was a little naff when we where there though.

The ham starter had really, really thin slices of ham stuffed with what I presume is creme fraiche with some horseradish in it, and topped with more creme freche. Horseradish taste was VERY subtle. Took my partner 3 or 4 tastes before she could detect it at all. Ok when you are hungry, but the course was essentially bread rolls with cream.

Goulash was tasty, sauce was really nice consistency, and the beef was very tender, but it had WAY too much salt. Bear in mind I am fairly liberal with salt when I season meat and sauces while cooking for myself. Very salty. Also the the dumplings turned out to be steamed white bread with some chopped herbs on it. Portion was also smallish for such a rustic type dish I thought.

Steak was decently cooked, and the strong mushrooms with the sauce were lovely. Unfortunately, the cut of meat itself was pretty fatty and a little tough. Again way too much salt in this dish, whether in the sauce or the meat I am not sure. Also, personal peeve, they served a salad of lettuce, cucumber, sweetcorn and tomato on the same plate as a steak with this rich sauce/gravy. WTF ? Lettuce swimming in gravy is not something I want to have on my plate.

Disappointed really. Prices are decent, but you would get better food in some pubs for the same. Forgot how nice a beer Starupramen was though :-).

Reckon it would be a good place to bring a group if you wanted to sit in for a few hours and have some good eastern european beers (let's face it, they know how to make good beer over there) and an informal chat along with some unusual choices of food (the menu is quite extensive, and has something for everyone), the amount of salt should help the drink go down nicely. :D

Anyway, my 2c...YMMV

Cheers,

Fair play for putting the time in to write such a comprehensive review. Funnily enough even though the nightmare I had in Prague with food i'd almost be interested to try it. Be a bit different at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OmegaDawn

One of my favourite restaurants anywhere in Europe and i travel a lot with work so have dined in some amazing places all over the world. Good food, good prices and friendly service. Always happy to recommend a dish to me. I am a ridiculously fussy eater and can be a bit of a tyrant from what i except from a restaurant but they have never let me down.

Highly recommend the garlic and cheese soup. lots of flavour but the garlic is not overpowering. very refreshing.

In my opinion the best cooked steak in ireland(an argentinian restaurant in amsterdam just edges it for Europe). i am very exact on how i want my steak done and they get it right every single time. another amazing this is there version of risotto with bacon and cheese. simple but so much flavour, texture is amazing too and i usually dont like risotto.

There desserts are VERY filling but absolutely fantastic. With the portion sizes throughout you will be really looking for space to finish the whole dessert but have managed it on a couple of occasions.

Overall it is, as was said earlier in the thread, a hidden gem that i didnt even realise existed untill last summer. i once drove from cork to waterford simply because that was exactly what i wanted to eat and nothing else felt right.

Highly recommend it

Advertisement