Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought couch but now not in stock

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

My parents are renovating their sitting room at the moment. They finally settled on a particular 2 seater and 3 seater couch over 2 weeks ago - paid upfront after the sales assistant confirmed there was 3 of each in stock - it was due for delivery in 3 weeks.
    (They were looking for the past 5 weeks for a couch they both liked, this was the first one they agreed on :rolleyes:)
    In the meantime they have fitted new carpet, new curtains, and painted the room so now everything was ready for when it was delivered early next week. This evening the manager of the store in question called my Mum to say they actually don't have these in stock, and don't know if they will be getting them back in.
    They stated they will refund the money paid.
    However, now my parents are stuck with the curtains and carpet and have painted the room all around the colour of this couch.
    Have they any rights in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's unlikely that they could stick the store with the cost of changing the colour scheme, I would suspect that in the absence of a signed commitment to sell the specific item of furniture that the store's liability is discharged with a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unfortunately, no. They have the right to a refund on the couch, which they are getting, but the shop bares no liability for all the other work done in preparation for this couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Could they not look around for similar couches from other suppliers which might look better in the room and may even be in stock when the shop says they have 3 of each?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Thanks for that guys, I had told them pretty much that - I think they were just very disappointed about it all when they found out the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Just name and shame. Just because they're legally in the clear doesn't make it good service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement