Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEN MEN MEN MEN, MANLY MEN MEN MEN...

Options
  • 12-11-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Kilkenny Musical Society are looking for MEN! Like most musical societies, we struggle to get lads to take part in our shows, and this year in particular we need to up our number of menfolk!

First of all, I know most fellas will have their ideas of what a musical is like or what taking part in one would entail. Singing, dancing and running around the stage in a colourful costume probably. Well, this year, our musical is called "The Hired Man" and it's very different to the type of show KMS has done in recent times. It's based in a mining community in Cumbria in England at the end of the 19th century, it spans over 20 years and focuses on the trials the locals face having to make a living working the land and also going to war to fight in the British Army. We hope the idea of a struggling mining community is something that will strike a chord with Kilkenny audiences due to the history of mining in Castlecomer.

So, what would taking part in the show mean? Well, firstly- there is NO DANCING in this show. If you can stamp your foot in time to the music, that's all the co-ordination you'll need! Secondly, no stage experience is required, just an ability to sing in tune. Thirdly, anyone I've ever heard of that has taken part in the show has said it was an experience that has stayed with them forever. The songs and music are superb- really spirited chorus numbers.

I have no doubt that we have the talent in Kilkenny to have a really great male chorus. There are plenty of fellas in Kilkenny who can sing but that for one reason or other never get to show this. There's a brilliant social side to KMS- we have loads of nights out throughout the year (and you may need a detox after the week of the show, but it's all worth it!!) and take it from one who joined knowing very few others- it's a really friendly & welcoming society, not at all intimidating. Plus, the male to female ratio is quite favourable for the lads in KMS... just sayin' is all, if it may persuade anyone... :)

So lads- what say ye?? I can't actually describe sufficiently here how much craic is had doing a KMS show, so I hope I might have convinced even one of ye to come on board so you can experience it yourself!

We're having an information night in O'Faolain's on Monday (15th) at 8pm if you want to know more, or PM me here if you need to know anything else.

Thanks!!

Nicola (Chairperson KMS)

p.s. new female members are also welcome, but we're on a bit of a Man-drive at the moment!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'd love to be involved but alas, it's the singing in tune bit that gets me. I'd be more one for the talking and acting kinda stuff. I honestly don't know why more men don't get involved, but then, it could be the singing.

But best of luck with it, it's really great to see KMS doing new types of productions and it'll no doubt be a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KKMusicalSoc

Threadhead, you should come along to our info night anyway and see what we're about- I'm sure your singing is better than you think!!! There's plenty of acting in this show, and loads of small acting roles with little or no singing that need to be filled which would be a great way to get experience on the stage.

Thanks for your comments too, we're really looking forward to it, but really do need to get lads on board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

where is o faolains? Hubby may be interested. He can sing but only in a very low tone! Like the whole musical thing @ school!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Jinxi wrote: »
    where is o faolains? Hubby may be interested. He can sing but only in a very low tone! Like the whole musical thing @ school!

It's next to the Kilford Arms Hotel, which is about two thirds up Johns Street on the left hand side, coming from the bridge in town.

Jinxi wrote: »

Hi Jinxi,

If you think your husband might be interested in coming on board with us, we're having a workshop on Monday night next in O'Faolain's again at 8pm. These workshops are great craic and there's no obligation to join up to KMS, but it's a great way to see what we're about and meet the group before making a decision about doing the show or not.

If you'd like any more info just pm me!

And for everyone's info: We're having a Decades-themed fancy dress in Kyteler's this Friday, 5 euro entry and there'll be finger food provided! You can dress in any decade's style you like, should be a great night!!

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let people know that there's still time to come on board with us for "The Hired Man" which will be staged in April. Our rehearsals start tonight at 8pm in O'Faolain's.

All are welcome, but as said before, particularly men!

And just in case people haven't read here before about the show- there's no dancing in this one! There's no need to audition and you won't have to sing on your own- so no need to be nervous about that side of things!! It's a really great show and we're looking forward to bringing something new to Kilkenny.

Rehearsals will be on Mondays and Thursdays by the way, in case people need an idea of how to plan out their week. It's a big dedication, but as anyone who has been involved with us before will tell you, it's a really enjoyable experience.

So, if you're looking for a challenge for the new year, this could be it!!!

For more info, PM me or search for our facebook page!

Nicola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Threadhead wrote: »
    I'd love to be involved but alas, it's the singing in tune bit that gets me. I'd be more one for the talking and acting kinda stuff. I honestly don't know why more men don't get involved, but then, it could be the singing.

Because they are most likely being labelled as gay by their "mates"

I'm like you. I wouldn't mind getting involved but I can't sing for anything.

Wahey! 24 men at rehearsals tonight! Don't know if posting here had anything to do with that number, but it can't have hurt anyway. We're delighted, don't know if we've ever had so many involved, certainly not in recent years anyway.

It's going to be a great show, the singing sounds fantastic- definitely not your usual musical. Obviously still has lots of singing like a musical, but the tone of the show is totally different to anything else we've done of late.

Just also wanted to post here now to say that we won't be able to have anyone else come on board with us from now on for this year, because with a cast of around 50 we won't have a hope of fitting more on the stage!!

But if you're interested in coming on board with us next year, we'll be back here on boards and in the local press with our info as usual, so keep an eye out.

And of course, don't forget to come see the show in the Watergate, starting on April 3rd and running til April 9th!!

Nicola.

Well, we've come a long way since I posted here first about "The Hired Man"- and with less than 2 weeks to go, people need to start booking their tickets!!

They're 20 euro, but if you go either the first or second night, they're only 16 euro. We've had a great response from other musical societies who are travelling to come to the show- it's obviously one that many societies would like to do so we count ourselves very lucky we're experiencing it.

We've been putting in a huge amount of hours, particularly this week and of course next week, rehearsing up to 5 days a week for some of us. But it's all paying off, and the show looks and sounds great!

And in relation to the MEN- well, what can I say: we got a BRILLIANT bunch. The singing sounds so much fuller this year, and the feel of the mines & the Great War are really brought to life- something we couldn't have done without them.

Some music from the show will be featured on Sue Nunn and Aisling Moore's respective shows this week if anyone would like a taster- some of ye may have caught us at the parade selling our wares!!

Tickets can be booked at 056-7761674. Don't miss out!! Oh and also, April 3rd is Mother's Day, which is the night to show opens- might be a nice present to treat your Mam to this year!! :)

Advertisement