Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Kennel

• 12-11-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My dog is really smelly and we wash him often.

I am sure he is getting the bad smell from his kennel. I have washed him and power hosed the kennel during the summer but he still stinks.

The smell off him is the same as the smell in his kennel. I am going to get a plastic kennel.
    Can anybody recommend a good supplier please.
    Thanks,
    Mr Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

ya can get the igloo kennels in most pet shops.
    what kind of dog do you have??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Its a Labrador.

Its a Labrador.
    ya would only need one to fit so the dog can turn around and stand up but they aint cheap as far as i know .so he smells of dog or kennel??

Can't explain the smell but a friend was visiting and said he thought is was smelly socks in the room.

there is an exhisting thread on igloo dog kennels if ya wanna have a look just use the serck function. sorry dunno how to put up the link:D

• Advertisement

he is long coated then??

no he is short coated

what kind of shampoos do you use? is he old? do u groom him often? dead hairs can leave a stink even some foods you should maybe look into getting him a rubber curry brush its excelent for removing dead unwanted hairs and spreading natural oils the more you groom a dog the less chance you have of having a smelly dog

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

First off I would review what you're feeding him; a lot of problems especially smell can come from what the dog is being fed. Secondly a dog really shouldn't be washed more than twice a year; by washing him often you are stripping his coat of the natural oils. Like pokertalk said though, you should groom him and take off the dead hair. Even labs shed an awful lot, especially around this time of year

Shanao wrote: »
    First off I would review what you're feeding him; a lot of problems especially smell can come from what the dog is being fed. Secondly a dog really shouldn't be washed more than twice a year; by washing him often you are stripping his coat of the natural oils. Like pokertalk said though, you should groom him and take off the dead hair. Even labs shed an awful lot, especially around this time of year
    dunno about twice a year:D i would wash him maybe every 6 weaks and use a conditioner which will give him back his natural oils also clean his ears and any extra hair from his pads with the conditioner and the rubber curry he will have no problem with natural oils i m o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 lodris

The barnhouse plastic ones are available in woodies - i think the large is around 140 but there's a 20% discount this weekend if you have a voucher which is posted on the bargain alerts page and here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is he wet going into his kennel alot of the time? Is there sufficient ventilation in there?

I often find with rescue dogs who have been out in the wet and not drying off properly for a while can smell of old mop or manky feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

As Toulouse already said, if he isn't drying off properly he'll get very smelly. If there is any bedding in the kennel, make sure it is dry and that he can dry off in the kennel when it's wet outside. Also, if the kennel is generally wet (I'm assuming it's wooden) it can get very smelly and mildew etc. can grow inside it (making it even more smelly!). Maybe a good disinfect would do the job. Plastic kennels are easier to clean that wooden ones so it may be the best option. Igloo kennels are supposed to be excellent at keeping dogs warm nd really easy to maintain, not cheap though. http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Igloo_Dog_Kennel_.html

Food is definitely a big factor that contributes to how they smell. If he is on a lower quality food, perhaps changing him to a better quality one would make the world of difference. Some dogs get very smelly if they are not on the best diet while others aren't affected - just depends on the dog!

Lastly, if he is particularly pongy he may have a skin problem. A lot of skin, gland or ear issues make dogs smell really bad even if they are sparkling clean. If it doesn't go away once you have looked at all the other factors, it might be worth a trip to the vet to make sure everything is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Food is definitely a big factor that contributes to how they smell. If he is on a lower quality food, perhaps changing him to a better quality one would make the world of difference. Some dogs get very smelly if they are not on the best diet while others aren't affected - just depends on the dog!

this is a big factor i think
    cheapy kibble is junk food and no dog should be given it......
    i feed a raw diet and have no doggy smell from my dogs at all..........

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

pokertalk wrote: »
    dunno about twice a year:D i would wash him maybe every 6 weaks and use a conditioner which will give him back his natural oils also clean his ears and any extra hair from his pads with the conditioner and the rubber curry he will have no problem with natural oils i m o

Twice a year is reccommended by most vets anyway, though obviously there are exceptions if your dog has a tendency to dive into the first mud puddle he sees :D Even with a conditioner though, if you wash him too often, you can still strip too much of the oil. Especially in a dog like a lab

We feed him James wellbeloved Adult food.
    108440_jameswell_adultdog_lamb_1.jpg

We wash him regularly and brush him often, he was groomed by a mobile dog grooming company this year as well.
    He is also in the house a fair bit but I thing the answer suggested here about him getting wet and not drying maybe the answer. I just think a plastic kennel might be easier to clean and it wont absorb the smell so much.

Thanks all for your help, off to Woddies with my 20% off vouchers.

Advertisement