Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torchwood season 4?

• 12-11-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

i know it has either started shooting or else has been shooting for a while but is there any news on it airing yet? have looked but can seem to find any word on it other than the fact that it wont just be sticking to Cardiff this time.

also does anyone know are the going to be new characters or is it just going to be Jack and Gwen back on their own?

any info appreciated.

which reminds me i must watch season 4 again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Summer next year, apparently. Some info from Den Of Geek here and here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

First episode is July 1st according to the BBC's official Torchwood Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/bbctorchwood#!/event.php?eid=168819599824501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://io9.com/5714058/potential-new-ghostbusters-respond-to-casting-rumors-plus-bill-pullman-joins-torchwood
    Everyone's alien-fighting president, Bill Pullman, has joined the new series in an unspecified role. Series writer Jane Espenson confirmed the casting via Twitter. He's reportedly playing a character called Oswald Jones, and here's his character description:
    Oswald Jones is dangerously clever, a psychotic, convicted murderer and pedophile. He escapes his lifelong prison sentence on a technicality and quickly becomes a media sensation.
    Genuinely repentant yet boiling with lust and rage, Oswald gets caught up in a terrifying worldwide crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Is the new series being made by HBO or similar? I can't see the pedophilia element sitting too well with alot of the mainstream channel audiences

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Is the new series being made by HBO or similar? I can't see the pedophilia element sitting too well with alot of the mainstream channel audiences
    Starz - a cable channel. They made Spartacus:Blood & Sand which did not hold back on the swearing, violence or nudity so they'll find no need to restrict themselves like a regular network.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Starz - a cable channel. They made Spartacus:Blood & Sand which did not hold back on the swearing, violence or nudity so they'll find no need to restrict themselves like a regular network.

they're behind the soon to be made Camelot too afaik? oooh Torchwood 4 suddenly got very interesting..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

This year's series will be called Miracle Day and the premise is that
    nobody on earth can die.
    Also confirmed in the cast are Lauren Ambrose (Claire from Six Feet Under), Dichen Lachman (Sierra from Dollhouse) and Mekhi Phifer* (Greg Pratt from ER).

Returning to the series will be, Jack, Gwen, Rhys and PC Andy. Unfortunately I've heard rumours that a particularly odious plot strain from season 1 will be returned to.
    Jack and Gwen's attraction to each other.
    :(

* Who beat Enver Gjokaj (Victor from Dollhouse) to the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

iguana wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've heard rumours that a particularly odious plot strain from season 1 will be returned to.
    Jack and Gwen's attraction to each other.
    :(
    Oh dear, why bother unless they have something really clever in mind to do with it (which I unfortunately doubt is the case!)

Maybe
    when they get together, Ianto walking in on them having being resurrected from the dead by the nanobots living in Jacks Saliva, and leading to an ultimate showdown of who Jack really wants to be with?
    It's dealt with soapier plot lines than that before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mekhi Phifer who beat Enver Gjokaj (Victor from Dollhouse) to the part.

Enver Gjokaj was one of the best things about Dollhouse. Really gifted actor who deserves better.

Glad to see this show is back on the radar... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Maybe
    when they get together, Ianto walking in on them having being resurrected from the dead by the nanobots living in Jacks Saliva, and leading to an ultimate showdown of who Jack really wants to be with?
    It's dealt with soapier plot lines than that before :)

Then Alonso could walk in!!!

Then Alonso could walk in!!!

With Rhys, back from their dogging escapades.

Neatly causing just enough confusion for Capt John to teleport in with his latest madcap scheme and poodle in tow.... thus bringing a new meaning to dogging for the show...

It's still better than season one :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just in time to help the team fight a werewolf and vampire infestation! Aided though by a friendly ghost, a nerdy lycanthrope, and a tortured Irish vampire (but not Angel).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »
    Just in time to help the team fight a werewolf and vampire infestation! Aided though by a friendly ghost, a nerdy lycanthrope, and a tortured Irish vampire (but not Angel).

Don't get me started on the Americanisation of Being Human. Just... don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I watched all of Doctor Who last Summer, and never got a chance to watch Torchwood.

Maybe it'll be this Summer's viewing.

basquille wrote: »
    I watched all of Doctor Who last Summer, and never got a chance to watch Torchwood.

Maybe it'll be this Summer's viewing.

Season one is unadulterated crap. It was poor television with very little to redeem it.

Season two is quite a bit better, James Masters has a recurring part, so if you like him (or at least his role in Buffy) that's a plus on the previous year. Though all in all the writing and characterisation improved and it has some good moments. I didn't even mind Freema Agyman too much in her episodes, I thought she was better in this than in DW.

Then weirdly, season three was fantastic. Really and truly fantastic. Some of the best tv drama ever made, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Season one is unadulterated crap. It was poor television with very little to redeem it.

Season two is quite a bit better, James Masters has a recurring part, so if you like him (or at least his role in Buffy) that's a plus on the previous year. Though all in all the writing and characterisation improved and it has some good moments. I didn't even mind Freema Agyman too much in her episodes, I thought she was better in this than in DW.

Then weirdly, season three was fantastic. Really and truly fantastic. Some of the best tv drama ever made, imo.
    Yeah, I've heard Children Of Earth was superb and that the first season was absolutely dire. Will give it a shot over the quiet Summer anyways.

Children of Earth is amazing, even if it wasn't Torchwood, it'd stand alone as brilliant sci-fi. If you can, watch it like it was originally broadcast (1 everyday for a week), it's one of the few times I can every remember planning my life so I was home in time to watch the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Children of Earth is amazing, even if it wasn't Torchwood, it'd stand alone as brilliant sci-fi. If you can, watch it like it was originally broadcast (1 everyday for a week), it's one of the few times I can every remember planning my life so I was home in time to watch the telly.

or you can do what i foolishly did on a work night and watch them all in a row starting at 10:30 at night. :pac:

thats how good it was :)

• Advertisement

I'm debating whether to watch CoE again before Miracle Day. I doubt it'll be necessary as I haven't forgotten anything important but with most shows after a two year break I'd have a rewatch. But CoE, especially the last episode was very uncomfortable viewing. It was amazing but I can't honestly say I enjoyed it. I watched the last one the day before my husband did and when he decided to watch it I had to leave the room.:(

I'm debating whether to watch CoE again before Miracle Day. I doubt it'll be necessary as I haven't forgotten anything important but with most shows after a two year break I'd have a rewatch. But CoE, especially the last episode was very uncomfortable viewing. It was amazing but I can't honestly say I enjoyed it. I watched the last one the day before my husband did and when he decided to watch it I had to leave the room.:(

I know exactly what you mean, really really enjoyed the standard of writing/acting etc and the plot was fantastic, but that said, I was given COE as a boxset this Christmas gone by, and I still have to watch it in it's entirety. The last episode in particular really jars something in me, it's not a comfortable watch by any means. I will watch it, but there will be a huge bit of ethical/moral squirming over the last episode again on my part I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i remember it vaguely and will have to watch it all again before i touch MD. but yes that last episode was a real, stick with me on this one now, uncomfortable comfort to watch.

i'll explain, it was uncomfortable to watch with the way everything was finalised and wrapped up in sending the aliens? invaders? packing.

but it was a comfort to watch because my faith in television shows, directors, writers and producers was restored. maybe it was just the team with CoE but i havent really found anything else that captivated me in such a way.

(hope i've explained this properly now :pac:)

Advertisement