Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career advice sought for final year medical student

Options
  • 12-11-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,
    I'm a final year medical student over in Scotland at the moment and I'm looking to get the opinions of people who actually work in the medical field about working in Ireland.

I've been lucky enough to have sorted a foundation academic post for next year here in Scotland. But have been really considering about heading home as it is my long term plan. It can be quite depressing reading some of the comments on the forum about healthcare in Ireland but I'd like to cut through the fog of media hysteria and depressing episodes of prime time and get peoples real experiences.

I was thinking of heading to the cork area so am looking to get details such as rota, hours, support from seniors the general working environment, most enjoyable and frustrating aspects of a day. If you have specific experience of the various types of wards that would be even better.

I think most options for hospitals will be available to me as I'll be graduating in the top 10% of the class and already have another honours degree with a 1st, plus a few publications to my name so feel that I should be able to apply to most places with some chance of getting a job. My long term plan is to be a GP in the south east so if anybody has any information on that as well that would be great.

Thanking everybody in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I haven't worked in Cork, but in relation to this part
    netaddict wrote: »
    I think most options for hospitals will be available to me as I'll be graduating in the top 10% of the class and already have another honours degree with a 1st, plus a few publications to my name so feel that I should be able to apply to most places with some chance of getting a job.

Your chances of getting a job are 100%, not because you think you're getting a 1st, but because there are lots of posts and no-one to fill them.

Plenty of threads about the current and soon-to-be worsening medical manpower crisis hitting an Irish hospital near you. Also had a look at www.imt.ie and have a read of the articles there.

Advertisement