Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go to next with repair garage trouble-legal/Consumers assocaiation/Simi?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I will try keep it brief,i bought a car a little while back,it had had some repair done to door and the work has a 5 yr warranty,so on the first wash i noticed corrosion on the end of it and i got on to the garage did the job.

Basically it has gone down hill from there really,to the end of it i am still not happy with the job (slight colour tone difference) and they have said to me face to face thats all they can do.

So i am just wondering who can assist me,is it worth getting a solicitor on board,i probably need a reputable repair shop to inspect and concur with me on the finished job.

Would SIMI be of any use or is that more for forecourts and sales etc?

Or the consumer association would they cover something like this?

It comes down to me not being satisfied with the end result at the end of it and what rights do i have.

I just want it 100% which is what it should have been :(.

Such a freaking headache....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Before you approach anybody, have you written to the seller outlining your complaints and enclosing a copy of the 5 year warranty they gave? Unless you formalised your complaint in writing and given the seller a chance to rectify things, then you can't proceed.

With regard to your other questions;
    SIMI...is the seller a member of SIMI ?
    Consumer Association.....are you a member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

buzz11 wrote: »
    Consumer Association.....are you a member?

If you've ever bought anything as a consumer, then you are a consumer. There are no members.

SIMI won't really be able to do anything, but if the garage is a member, they might be able to persuade them to fix it properly. You should contact SIMI if the garage have refused to do anything more.

The NCA will advise you on your rights, but will not intervene.

Solicitor would be a last resort, only if nothing is done, and you want to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

jor el wrote: »
    If you've ever bought anything as a consumer, then you are a consumer. There are no members.

www.consumerassociation.ie

"...Consumers' Association is Ireland's independent, self-funded and non-profit organisation, founded in 1966 and registered with charity status. Its members are ordinary consumers from areas spread right across the country who see the need for and who support such an organisation"

Annual membership is €96 p.a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The National Consumer Association is the statutory body that deals with consumer related issues. They are the only organisation worth complaining to, and no membership is required. The Consumer Association of Ireland has no regulatory or statutory powers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

jor el wrote: »
    The National Consumer Association is the statutory body that deals with consumer related issues. They are the only organisation worth complaining to, and no membership is required. The Consumer Association of Ireland has no regulatory or statutory powers at all.

Thanks yes i came across that one,my bad for saying the Consumer association
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Make_a_Complaint/

And yes they are a member of SIMI :).

Next step then will be the formal complaint in writing to the Managing Director and i will seek his response in writing so far it has all been verbal.

I have a full documentation receipt for work done and declaring the warranty.

Pity as it just snowballed to this from such a small thing and nearly ruined the joy of owning the car.

Thanks for your opinions ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Gregsor wrote: »
    I will try keep it brief,i bought a car a little while back,it had had some repair done to door and the work has a 5 yr warranty,

How long is a little while back 3, 4 years? it will have a factor on how successful your complaint is. If its 4 years you can't expect it to be like new.

Dymo wrote: »
    How long is a little while back 3, 4 years? it will have a factor on how successful your complaint is. If its 4 years you can't expect it to be like new.

It will be 3 months nearly since i bought the vehicle,sorry i should have been more specific for you.

I don't understand what are trying to say there either.

The work was done nearly 2 years to the day.
    The trouble was with the work carried out at the time and it had deteriorated prematurely and was covered within the 5 year warranty.
    I want it back to it's original condition and unnoticeable which it is neither and this is as a result of the work carried out by the garage and i am entitled to until i am satisfied.

My complaint should be dealt with like any other persons regardless how long the car is in my possession or another persons again in the future as it is validated by the 5 year warranty given on collection,it stays with car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It will be 3 months nearly since i bought the vehicle,sorry i should have been more specific for you.

I don't understand what are trying to say there either.

The work was done nearly 2 years to the day.
    The trouble was with the work carried out at the time and it had deteriorated prematurely and was covered within the 5 year warranty.
    I want it back to it's original condition and unnoticeable which it is neither and this is as a result of the work carried out by the garage and i am entitled to until i am satisfied.

How old is the car? Repaired cars rarely are an exact colour match, if the car is old it's even harder to match as the original colour will have faded so the colour codes don't work, and after 2 years of unknown care I doubt you'll get anywhere. You and more importantly the garage has no idea if the person you bought the car from had done some other damage to the car it the same location.

My complaint should be dealt with like any other persons regardless how long the car is in my possession or another persons again in the future as it is validated by the 5 year warranty given on collection,it stays with car.

Depends on the warranty some transfer when ownership changes some don't. Have you the warranty document and verified that it does transfer?

The original owner excepted the car with the colour mismatch so I doubt you'll get anywhere on the paint mismatch, the rust will require you to prove their repair wasn't done correct and not some more damage done by the previous owner.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How old is the car? Repaired cars rarely are an exact colour match, if the car is old it's even harder to match as the original colour will have faded so the colour codes don't work, and after 2 years of unknown care I doubt you'll get anywhere. You and more importantly the garage has no idea if the person you bought the car from had done some other damage to the car it the same location.

7 years old,car has 100% no visible signs of any other damage or repair being done anywhere at any stage other than their work,and yes i am a car enthusiast who washes waxes and machine polishes his cars at every given chance but if it came to it they can get it assessed to verify there has been if thats what they would like,but it would be petty.

If it is that hard to match then the job should not have been carried out or i should have been advised and i may have taken another approach as a door swap was an option available for nearly half the money i have put in the tank 3 times for the trip up and back to the company.

Depends on the warranty some transfer when ownership changes some don't. Have you the warranty document and verified that it does transfer?

Never heard such a thing and it would not surprise me either,have you proof of this?
    The original owner excepted the car with the colour mismatch so I doubt you'll get anywhere on the paint mismatch, the rust will require you to prove their repair wasn't done correct and not some more damage done by the previous owner.

Read my posts again,the car was 100% when the original owner collected it and it was only for the rust on the bottom of the drivers door that i noticed after the purchase,there was NO mismatch of paint prior to the work carried out 3 weeks ago on my behalf and under a valid Warranty as they have disputed it till now and even now they have not said it is a Warranty issue it is purely as the lad who done the job said to me "it is like opening a can of worms"

Anyway letter of complaint sent to the MD of the company today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never heard such a thing and it would not surprise me either,have you proof of this?

Nope but I've heard of it.
    Read my posts again,the car was 100% when the original owner collected it and it was only for the rust on the bottom of the drivers door that i noticed after the purchase,there was NO mismatch of paint prior to the work carried out 3 weeks ago on my behalf and under a valid Warranty as they have disputed it till now and even now they have not said it is a Warranty issue it is purely as the lad who done the job said to me "it is like opening a can of worms"

Anyway letter of complaint sent to the MD of the company today.

No where in you posts can I see that you got it repaired 3 weeks ago, under the 5 year warranty. You said you bought a car 3 months ago which was repaired 2 years ago. What I got was that when you washed it you noticed a paint mismatch and rust and now you want it back as good as new.

This puts a different perspective on it and yes keep hounding them till they sort it out.

As for the colour mismatch. There'll always be a mismatch, but a good body shop will fade it out so it's not as noticeable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement