Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casting Weights.

• 12-11-2010 2:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey just wondering does anyone have any experience in casting weights? Im thinking of trying to make two solid lead weights (5kg each) for my integrated BCD. Currently I have to 2kilo int.weights and a weight belt. Looking to get rid of the belt alltogether.

Anyone cast their own weights?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I cast a set of 2k block weights for myself not too long ago. A camping stove, an old cooking pot, a roll of lead meant for use on roofs, and a mould that a friend of mine welded together. The lead melts much easier than you would think.

Its a good idea to have more melted lead in the pot than you are going to pour out into your mould - when you put the next piece of lead into the pot it melts quicker when it is surrounded by molten lead.

Also, make sure your mould is 100% dry before pouring any lead into it, and avoid water in the melting pot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Ya tis relativity easy, as t1mm said there all the bits you need, a few extra I find are (if you can get em) is wielders gloves (or similar) because the pot & mould get red hot, use a pot with a wooden handle otherwise you just wont be able to hold it.

cut the lead into small pieces, i think this works better before adding them to the pot. make sure the mould is dry or the molten lead could splatter. and obviously try do it somewhere ventilated or you be buzzing aorund for the day and have a cracking headache after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Now just tell me how to get them into moulded plastic and I,m there man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ya tis relativity easy, as t1mm said there all the bits you need, a few extra I find are (if you can get em) is wielders gloves (or similar) because the pot & mould get red hot, use a pot with a wooden handle otherwise you just wont be able to hold it.

cut the lead into small pieces, i think this works better before adding them to the pot. make sure the mould is dry or the molten lead could splatter. and obviously try do it somewhere ventilated or you be buzzing aorund for the day and have a cracking headache after!

Lead poisoning is very very serious, so a well ventilated area is essential. Try not to breath in any fumes either.

Lead poisoning is very very serious, so a well ventilated area is essential.

Yes as Fratton Fred has said lead fumes are extremely dangerous so do it outside if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Or you could throw a tank on your back and breath off that surely? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joenserman

ive never done this myself but you can make lead shot by pouring molten lead into a barrel of water.
    you can also buy moulds for normal weights on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

joenserman wrote: »
    ive never done this myself but you can make lead shot by pouring molten lead into a barrel of water.
    you can also buy moulds for normal weights on ebay
    sounds like a scalding would be on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I always thought the weight belt had to be separate, so that in case the BCD fails you can jettisson the weights and not sink to your death?

joenserman wrote: »

I dont know how they make the lead shot but molten lead and water dont mix, it splatters (the lead) and when it hits water. All I was told when I first went making weights was "make sure everything is dry". I was fortunate enough to see why one afternoon, while i was walking by, when there was lead being poured as ballast for a replica ship that was being built and there was water in the tank thing they were pouring into, well lets just the crew vacated the area lively when the lead hit the water.
    sounds like a scalding would be on the cards.

Yes would defo agree...
    Crasp wrote: »
    I always thought the weight belt had to be separate, so that in case the BCD fails you can jettisson the weights and not sink to your death?

Well thats the theory but some people put pouch's of lead shot in pockets and BCD's to A) balance themselves better and B) reduce the amount on there belts.
    Diving is all about what suits the individual best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Well thats the theory but some people put pouch's of lead shot in pockets and BCD's to A) balance themselves better and B) reduce the amount on there belts.

I always thought there was some element of safety involved too :pac:

Ya your right there is but people change their ways over time. Mind you some people use shot pouch's for "shot pouch weight belts" which just accommodate pouch's.

Some people, depending on kit dont use weights at all. I used to dive twin 12's and stages for deeper stuff and not need weights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My BCD has a quick release for the integrated weights. Just as easy to dump as a weight belt although I never plan to. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joenserman

I dont know how they make the lead shot but molten lead and water dont mix, it splatters (the lead) and when it hits water. All I was told when I first went making weights was "make sure everything is dry". I was fortunate enough to see why one afternoon, while i was walking by, when there was lead being poured as ballast for a replica ship that was being built and there was water in the tank thing they were pouring into, well lets just the crew vacated the area lively when the lead hit the water.

Yes would defo agree...

Jayz paddy your right!... lead spatters when it hits water:rolleyes:, hence the lead shot!
    pretty easy to aviod being scalded too imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

To make shot what you don't do is pour molten lead directly into water and hope that the resulting explosion will result in nicely formed shot.:rolleyes:
    What you do is get a tin can and use a nail to punch lot of holes into the bottom of the can. Then you use a sturdy frame over a large volume of cold water and pour some molten lead into the holy can.
    The lead should drip through the holes and land in the water and form rough shot. the further you suspend the can from the water will determine how spherical the shot is due to it chilling before it hits the water.
    The can MUST be dry when you pour the lead into it, any residual water/moisture will likely result in the steam blowing the molten lead out of the can and into your face/body/back of neck with not very good results.
    I have done a lot of lead casting and I always wear a full face grinding mask with a leather welders hat when casting. One drop of sweat can cause a steam explosion that would make buying shot seem like a good idea.
    A piece of candle wax dissolved in the lead will make impurities come to the surface and they can be scooped out and disposed of in a sealed paint can.

Be under no illusions casting with large amounts of molten lead is not a safe hobby. A moments carelessness or an unexpected shower could have rapid and life changing consequences. Always wear protective eyewear at the very least burns can be got over blindness is harder to deal with.

Advertisement