Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simply Electronics

• 12-11-2010 3:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

If this has been asked before on Photography I do apolgise but I didn't see anything when I searched apart from Rip Off.

Anyway, I am hoping to buy a canon 5d mark ii for Christmas and the price on Simply Electronics is very competitive - well I think so.

Just wondering for a purchase this big as well as money wise - are they safe to trust or should I just depend on good old ebay?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have looked back over the last year. There has been quite a bit of discussion about them, mainly negative.

Our Thread

AV Forums Thread.

As pointed out elsewhere, they are in Hong Kong so factor in the VAT & other fees to their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Thanks for that CabanSail - I think it might be best from reading the links you posted to stay well clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I've bought plenty of stuff from them. They seem to have the best prices in Europe (important for customs purposes), and free shipping. Only problem in my experience is they are much slower than their claim. Where they say they ship in 1-2 days it can take over a week to receive your product. I would use them again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've used them for one lens and yes, they were a bit slower than advertised and need to be chased up to get it. I know another chap who bought two expensive "L" lenses from them without any grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

angeleyes wrote: »
    Just wondering for a purchase this big as well as money wise - are they safe to trust or should I just depend on good old ebay?

They are a Hong Kong company. If the item comes direct from
    HK, you will have to pay VAT. The camera probably wont have
    warranty cover from Canon Europe. As HK is not in the EU,
    you won't have the benefit of the EU distance selling regs.

Simply Electronics have a lot of very unhappy customers. I
    would be inclined to look elsewhere. Have a look at the
    comments here:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SimplyElectronics

Many more if you google "SimplyElectronics"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I bought a Sony A550 from them last December, yes they were a little slow on shipping but other than that I had no problems and saved over €100 on the purchase.

They price in Euro and as far as I know ship from a warehouse in the UK. I had no issues with VAT/Duty as the package originated in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i rang about a phone and the girl was dog ignorant they never have true stock on site and alot of the stuff they advertise is only preorder by themselves
    there is alot of negativity on the net about them so i wont be buying from them........

Advertisement