Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a 2k pc

Options
  • 12-11-2010 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm looking to build a pc to try out eyefinity, for gaming and storing media on. I already have 1 of the monitors thats why there are only 2 selected, I also have 6gb ram, Windows 7, Dvd drive and all other accessories. Here it is, is there anything I should change out of these?
    PcBuild-1.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Are you trying to build the bridge of the Enterprise or something? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

New ATI 6 series cards getting released in a week, best to wait maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

That graphics card seems ridiculously overpriced, you'll get a 6870 for less.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-021-HS

EDIT: Damn those 5870's are still pricey, thought they'd have dropped a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

isnt a 5870 better than a 6870 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm pretty sure they're very similar in real world performance. The 5870 might have a slight edge but is it ~100 euro of an edge?

Although I always look for the best "bang-for-buck" components but with a kitty of 2k I guess he doesn't need to be budgeting too hard!

• Advertisement

i dunno from what i read its quite a bit better except where crossfire is concerned. between them id go for the 6870 too for value but like you said with no real budget concern thats not so much of an issue. sure why not go for a 5970? :D

also id imagine the 6870 will see performance increases and which will see it catch up with the 5870 at some stage. i went for a 6850 myself and will cf when i eventually print off another load of money ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

I'd keep all the components boxes and Styrofoam protection and stick and glue em all together to make a better performing ATX case than that one :o

I'm sure at that price range you could house all that top gear in a better box:eek: jeebus I'm still n-Vus of your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Unless you're planning on running an Crossfire system, you could save some money and get a 650W or a 700W PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

id hold off to see what the new AMD 6900 Series are like as well as that do you really need 3 HDD's i mean i have trouble filling a 1T hdd :D, and btw i dont think those Screens have a display port connection (which you need for Eyefinity) so your going th have to look into getting an active DVI - Display port adapter for one monitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

The only thing id take issue with is those green hard drives, afaik they are better used for backup/storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Yea think will hold off for the 6900 series, forgot they where out soon. The reason I need the harddrives is one of my servers kicked the bucket and took 4hd's with it so my 4 computers are packed like this until I replace the server so will be handy having them 2 drives incase i need them: E and J where comletely full until deleted all the stuff I could do without now there like this.
    stuff.png
    Eventually I will go crossfire yea but not straightaway. I will be getting an adaptor, was checking for them on ebay. Only thing am not willing to change in the builds is the monitors as have one of them already and really happy with it, also love the included 3 years onsite warranty :). 130 is gone out of the budget on the ram so realistically I only have 1870 as a budget, would prefer it to be at or below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

deceit wrote: »
    Yea think will hold off for the 6900 series, forgot they where out soon. The reason I need the harddrives is one of my servers kicked the bucket and took 4hd's with it so my 4 computers are packed like this until I replace the server so will be handy having them 2 drives incase i need them: E and J where comletely full until deleted all the stuff I could do without now there like this.
    stuff.png
    Eventually I will go crossfire yea but not straightaway. I will be getting an adaptor, was checking for them on ebay. Only thing am not willing to change in the builds is the monitors as have one of them already and really happy with it, also love the included 3 years onsite warranty :). 130 is gone out of the budget on the ram so realistically I only have 1870 as a budget, would prefer it to be at or below that.

yeah the monitors seem really good tbh anyway trying to find a monitor with a display port connection is impossible anyway (i tried while building my build as im going eyefinity hopefully this xmas) as the only one i could find was an apple one with a mini DP port that costed like €1000 so FCUK that :D, the new hd 6900 series should be out in a couple of weeks so hold tight for the moment is my advice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

indough wrote: »
    also id imagine the 6870 will see performance increases and which will see it catch up with the 5870 at some stage. i went for a 6850 myself and will cf when i eventually print off another load of money ha

While I am sure AMD partners will improve the 6870 it cannot possibly catch up to the 5870 through driver improvement, factory overclocking etc as physically it simply has fewer stream processors, texture units etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

deceit wrote: »
    I will be getting an adaptor, was checking for them on ebay.

A bit risky, they could send you one of the useless old ones.

Here is one of the newer ones.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38608

Cheap and supports eyefinity. Also does not need a USB connection. Just double check that you don't need any additional adapters from mini-display port or anything like that.

Monotype wrote: »
    A bit risky, they could send you one of the useless old ones.

Here is one of the newer ones.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38608

Cheap and supports eyefinity. Also does not need a USB connection. Just double check that you don't need any additional adapters from mini-display port or anything like that.
    Cool thanks for the link, couldnt find in any online site thats why i went to ebay. I will get it there instead :). I also didnt know there was older ones?

Yeah, there were ones which are "passive" adapters which only support very low resolutions. You had to buy the "active" adapters which had additional power from USB but cost nearly €100. The new batch are inspired by the eyefinity demand and are thankfully much cheaper.

Edit: http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-567.shtml
    I'm pretty sure the resolution refers to one monitor so you should be fine with your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I saw something like that in Maplins for about... sixty euro I think. Came with a DVI-VGA and a DVI-HDMI adapter.

I'm guessing it was probably the passive adapters. An active adapter would be €200 there! :D

I've decided to drop the ssd down to a 60gb and try out a coolermaster silent pro gold 800 watt psu as read a really good review for it. I'm also going to switch the case with a corsair 600T and wait until the hd6000 series is out and get the equivalent to the 5870. I'm going to give the corsair hs1 headset a good as my fatality one is a pain trying to get the mic to work properly. Just have to find where I can pick up the corsair case. What do you guys think of this as a full pc? Would be using 6gb gskill ram I bought on adverts and a h70 cooler which just bought also.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38423&agid=240
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36616&agid=1145
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39099&agid=264

• Advertisement
Advertisement