Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Images For Websites

Options
  • 12-11-2010 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just a quick question.

Where is the best place to get good quality images royalty free that cost nothing to use on a few of my websites.

dont wanna pay a fortune from some of the well known sites just for few pics.

any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

iStockPhoto isn't free, but it's only between 1 and 4 euro per pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    iStockPhoto isn't free, but it's only between 1O and 2O euro per pic.

fyp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Just a quick question.

Where is the best place to get good quality images royalty free that cost nothing to use on a few of my websites.

any help would be great.

http://www.sxc.hu/ Completely Free!:)

Placebo wrote: »
    fyp :)

What are you on about ? :rolleyes:

http://www.istockphoto.com/buy-stock-credits-pay-as-you-go.php?refnum=petplan

Credits are approx €1.20, with most images costing between 1 & 3 credits; maybe 6 credits if you want a larger image that you need to crop / edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

http://www.webdesignerheaven.com

Used this a few times. Excellent resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would strongly suggest paying a little bit for images. If you want a really professional looking website its best. I find the royalty free images are missing that little something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

just google

just google

I would hope that you mean google "free stock images for websites" and not just search for images from other websites that are copyrighted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 charlesM

Just a quick question.

any help would be great.
    You can get them cheap here >>>
    http://www.istockphoto.com

Credits are approx €1.20, with most images costing between 1 & 3 credits; maybe 6 credits if you want a larger image that you need to crop / edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 donbon

en.r4cart wrote: »
    just google

If you're advocating stealing images that's terrible advice, people could lose their jobs following it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Regards the "just google it" advice - I got a phone call from one of our web design clients on Monday: they'd received an invoice in the post for over €900 from a stock photography company for using a single 200px × 250px copyrighted image without permission. (We did not supply this image - they "google'd it").

Always, always use images from sources where you know you have permission explicitly - if you're on zero budget use free Creative Commons licensed images with correct attribution, and make sure the version of the licence doesn't disallow commercial use or derivative works. If you've even a small amount of cash at all, istockPhoto is a great place to go.

Web designers: I strongly recommend adding something like this in your contracts:
    You guarantee to us that any elements of text, graphics, photos, designs, trademarks, or other artwork that you provide us for inclusion in your website are either owned by you, or that you have permission to use them.

And of course make sure you know where every image you use on sites you develop is coming from.

I am not a lawyer and the above does not constitute legal advice, but I suggest you talk to one if you have any queries about any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I find depositphotos.com pretty decent and reasonable if you are looking for alot of images on a budget. Many of the same photos appear on istock and in most cases cost less than half - not as big a selection though but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

If you are paying for an image from iStockPhoto or similar I would recommend that you do a reverse image search for the image you choose using a site such as TinEye (http://www.tineye.com/). You may be surprised how many people are using it (maybe even direct competitors) and may want to opt for a different image. Obviously this is less of a concern if you are going to photoshop the source image a bit.

I've used iStockPhoto a good few times and found it to be a good service but the one thing that really annoys me about them is that your credit will expire after a year. I hate when companies who pull crap like this.

Advertisement