Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nova..are their hearts really in it...?

• 12-11-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

The management..not the jocks i mean...
    Was it just a great idea, but when it came to providing us with a proper ROCK alternative to the other samey stations they bottled it...
    Cant help but wonder how long they can drag it on for..For me its lost its appeal an i've switched off already..Believe me i did try, buy it seems that Nova didnt try hard enough to hold on to me as a listener..same bands,same mundane tracks every day,..There does'nt seem to be any thought put into the shows (some excluded, you know who you are) , its like they really dont care...its a sad waste of a great opportunity imo .:(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Like most radio stations in Ireland it's just another advertising facillity.
    Radio for the descerning listener is just not on the agenda in Ireland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

they just have to start playing demo's from upcoming bands and they'd be fine.

They could do with better presenters or better still, get rid of the radio presenters and get some dj's on air, people with a real passion for music. It would be great also if they didn't bother with news, weather, sport and competitions like all the other stations do but that would be asking too much. For reasons not known to me most Irish radio stations are just the same noise with a different name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Sids Not wrote: »
    The management..not the jocks i mean...
    Was it just a great idea, but when it came to providing us with a proper ROCK alternative to the other samey stations they bottled it...
    Cant help but wonder how long they can drag it on for..For me its lost its appeal an i've switched off already..Believe me i did try, buy it seems that Nova didnt try hard enough to hold on to me as a listener..same bands,same mundane tracks every day,..There does'nt seem to be any thought put into the shows (some excluded, you know who you are) , its like they really dont care...its a sad waste of a great opportunity imo .:(

I know what you're saying there Sids,when they were doing the test transmissions,they were playing some great music,but now it's just another station,no real difference from the rest.

Same bands,same songs,no thought,or so it seems,going into the play list,for example,last night at 5,the double shot was by Pearl Jam,and I knew the two song they'd play,just because they were the obvious ones.

They do play some fantastic songs,songs I've not in ages,but they could do with playing some album tracks,instead of the ones they keep playing and playing and playing..........oh,and STOP asking if I'm addicted yet,cos I'm not addicted,but I am well pissed with asking me ALL THE TIME !!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They are doing great IMO. If they really wanted to repeat the same tunes all day, they would be like spin etc.
    even if they did that they would stil be light years ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hobochris wrote: »
    they just have to start playing demo's from upcoming bands and they'd be fine

Or, more likely no one would be listening. I haven't bothered streaming it for weeks which must say something. I know there are good slots but I'd sooner use my download cap on something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

kona wrote: »
    They are doing great IMO. If they really wanted to repeat the same tunes all day, they would be like spin etc.
    even if they did that they would stil be light years ahead.

They ARE light years ahead...'cept that in their world its still 1985......:p

I was listening the other day at lunch time..12.45 they played The Eagles..13.05..they played the Eagles...:confused:..''spose we're lucky it was'nt the same track really...:rolleyes:

Theres sooo many talented jocks on there but it seems that their hands are tied....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

I flick around between stations during the day for some decent music (easier said than done) sometimes between 4FM and Nova, but regularly have to check which one I have on.

Most of the time that I've tuned in, I just hear this middle of the road 'classic rock' stuff...with the odd token AC/DC track thrown in. I thought it was getting better but the more I listen, the more disappointing it is.

I've seen the Nova (AC/DC style) posters on a couple of bus shelters, very misleading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Hermy wrote: »
    It would be great also if they didn't bother with news, weather, sport and competitions like all the other stations do but that would be asking too much. For reasons not known to me most Irish radio stations are just the same noise with a different name.

I may be corrected on this but I think that's part of the licensing agreement for radio stations in this country. It's probably in one of the broadcasting acts but I'm pretty sure each station has to have a certain % of news, sport, weather, arts, cultural, talk and music content. I'd say the percentages change depending on the type of station but I think each station has to meet the requirements in order to keep their license.
    Hermy wrote: »
    Like most radio stations in Ireland it's just another advertising facillity. Radio for the descerning listener is just not on the agenda in Ireland.

This is unfortunately true but it costs a fortune to run a radio station and the money has to come from somewhere.

Personally I like Nova and think they can do well if they expand their playlist and get some gigs going like Phantom did back in the day. There's a huge Rock audience out there.

Thanks for your response Leo.
    QuadLeo wrote: »
    I may be corrected on this but I think that's part of the licensing agreement for radio stations in this country. It's probably in one of the broadcasting acts but I'm pretty sure each station has to have a certain % of news, sport, weather, arts, cultural, talk and music content. I'd say the percentages change depending on the type of station but I think each station has to meet the requirements in order to keep their license.
    I suspected this was the case all right but it baffles me that so much of Irish radio must be so uniform.
    This is unfortunately true but it costs a fortune to run a radio station and the money has to come from somewhere.
    Now that you mention it, what are the major costs in running a station?
    Personally I like Nova and think they can do well if they expand their playlist and get some gigs going like Phantom did back in the day. There's a huge Rock audience out there.
    There definitely is an audience out there but I am pessimistic as to whether Nova will fulfill this role. While their music policy is a vast improvement on the current crop, |I think their presenters are just more of the same dull soundalikes we already have to put up with elsewhere.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

20% news content from 7am to 7pm for all licensed stations. I haven't really got into the breakfast show at all. It's not going to be easy. Maybe a double act in the morning might stimulate things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I loved the test transmissions but I've gone off Nova now. As for the 20% news and current affairs, I'm still trying to work out how the Rock Report qualifies for that.

It just seems to be that fella waffling on about "Phillo" back in the day...

bbability wrote: »
    20% news content from 7am to 7pm for all licensed stations. I haven't really got into the breakfast show at all. It's not going to be easy. Maybe a double act in the morning might stimulate things

Dont think PC would allow someone else in HIS studio.....anyways i cant stand all that "double act" banter on the other stations...i just want to hear music..sorry...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I like Nova. Now, I'd only listen from 3-5pm for the last two hours of work.

I have noticed that the playlist is so repetitive. Ok, I'm liking the fact that they are playing rock/alternative songs 24/7 but I'd also like a segment whereby up and coming bands send in their demo's and get them a bit of air play. Not just a dedicated show, but on an hourly basis.

Would mix it up a bit.

Plenty of good suggestions on this forum..but alas it does'nt seem like Ms.Dooley reads them...Think she has her own way or no way of thinking.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It's definitely a station geared to the populace in general rather than radio/anorak heads so from that perspective Joe Bloggs the Ordinary Decent Punter probably thinks its a great station while the rest of us think it's just another bland station on Ireland's FM bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh and the crappy phone calls. Stop broadcasting them. They're really cringeworthy.

Always asking for Led Zeppelin or AC/DC too. As if there's no other bands on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I dip in and out of it in the hope that the songs will reel me in and force me to listen regularly but its very predictable and a bit too safe at this stage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭prunudo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh and the crappy phone calls. Stop broadcasting them. They're really cringeworthy.

Always asking for Led Zeppelin or AC/DC too. As if there's no other bands on the planet.

I don't mind listening to either Led Zeppelin or Acdc but Nova only seem to have two songs for each band :mad:

Ah well..at least we'll have Christmas FM to listen to shortly....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like Nova but I don't think Coldplay and The Killers should be played.
    I'd also like more variety. I keep asking them to play something from The War of the Worlds...no luck yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Dont think PC would allow someone else in HIS studio.....anyways i cant stand all that "double act" banter on the other stations...i just want to hear music..sorry...:o

Pat C is absolutely awful. He is still in the 70s, has a fools sense of humour and he really believes he is funny. Some awful calls put through, and admitted on air that half his music was downloaded illegally. great comment from a so called lover of music. They need to make changes, but will they?? Need more new bands. Greg Goughran is in charge of the play lists, I think. I read that some of the directors have pulled out. The next JNLR Figures will tell a lot:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Caledonman wrote: »
    Need more new bands. Greg Goughran is in charge of the play lists, I think. I read that some of the directors have pulled out. The next JNLR Figures will tell a lot:confused:

first, how would new bands fit into a Classic Rock format?
    Second, his name is Greg Gaughran
    Third, Where did you read that some of the directors have pulled out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    first, how would new bands fit into a Classic Rock format?
    Second, his name is Greg Gaughran
    Third, Where did you read that some of the directors have pulled out?

First - they wouldn't.
    Second - correcting people's spelling? A tad unnecessary.
    Third - well their CEO David Tighe stepped down AFAIK, don't know of any others leaving though.

Well i assumed Caledonman meant "new artists" more than new bands, maybe i'm wrong on that...
    But one thing's for sure , i'd rather hear Coldplay or the Killer over Billy Idol and ( their latest idea of classic rock) David fkucingEssex...i swear, i may cry if i hear him again....Dont think Larry Gogan would even play him....:(

Well i assumed Caledonman meant "new artists" more than new bands, maybe i'm wrong on that...
    But one thing's for sure , i'd rather hear Coldplay or the Killer over Billy Idol and ( their latest idea of classic rock) David fkucingEssex...i swear, i may cry if i hear him again....Dont think Larry Gogan would even play him....:(

Thanks Sid and Bard - I will make a bigger effort on my spelling. and yes, I mean 'artists'. There is room in a 'classic rock' station for some up and coming artists. I know a few that find it so hard to get their songs played, so where are they supposed to go?? Anyway, I don't listen as much as I used to..

Caldonman, I sure you don't need anybody to speak on your behalf.
    How do you think that new artists/bands ( I don't understand why Sidsnot made a distinction) could fit into a Classic Rock format? Do you understand what Classic Rock is?
    Who else, apart from David, has stepped down?

Caledonman wrote: »
    I know a few that find it so hard to get their songs played, so where are they supposed to go??

Phantom?
    Certainly not Nova.

Bard wrote: »
    First - they wouldn't.
    Second - correcting people's spelling? A tad unnecessary.
    Third - well their CEO David Tighe stepped down AFAIK, don't know of any others leaving though.
    I didn't ask you.
    The reason i asked Caledonman is because he seems have info that the rest of us aren't aware of. You answering on his behalf is unhelpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The potential of Nova is huge, but its just way too safe. Try listening online to Radio Paradise for 30 minutes to hear what a great classic rock radio could sound like. (and if you can't be arsed listening here's their playlist for the past hour) they also include some electronica, but the emphasis is on classic rock.

I also think that some modern bands such as The Hold Steady & Gaslight Anthem would fit into the Nova/Classic Rock format. Their dependence on The Eagles, Queen and AC/DC has caused me to stop listening when I'm not in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I didn't ask you.
    The reason i asked Caledonman is because he seems have info that the rest of us aren't aware of. You answering on his behalf is unhelpful.

It's a public forum. Anyone can answer. If you want to have a private conversation with Caledonman or any other user, do it by PM.

Calm down lads..its just a Nova discussion..The problem lies imo with Nova's idea of "Classic Rock ....Kaiser Chiefs , Killers,Strokes, Coldplay,Verve,etc...all very modern indie bands...hardly classic rock..bit like an old BSA..this will always be a classic but a GSXR 1000.:confused:....never in a million years...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

It strikes me from reading this that there are a few different issues being mixed up here. Firstly, what is rock - well I'm afraid it's far more than some seem to think and it's primarily based around temp, specific instruments etc. Do The Verve, Blur etc qualify - yes they do. There are those who believe classic rock ended in the 70s but that's just Rose tinted viewing. As for Coldplay, they are one of Ms Dooley's favourite bands !

The bigger issue I think for Nova is rotation. Jesus, how many more times do we have to listen to the same tracks from Lizzy and Journey, for example?

I don't doubt the commitment of Kevin Branigan etc but I believe that the playlists are gone beyond a joke. And as for references to X Factor on progs and news, we've switched to Nova to avoid that crap.....

I believe Nova will suceed but it needs tweaking - now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

IMO, "Classic" Rock isn't a genre as such, or it's at least a very misleading one. What I think is the problem is that the playlist is too limited. It was great to hear AC/DC on the radio the first time, but when it's the same three songs all the time, you lose interest very quickly. And do we really need another station playing "Hotel California" in Ireland??

It's perfectly plausible to have new bands in a "classic" rock format e.g. The Answer, Airbourne, etc. After all, where is tomorrow's "classic" rock supposed to come from if all you play is Don't Stop Pouring Some Sugar On More Than A Stairway To Hotel California?!

Really think they should have stuck with "The Rock"......ohh, and the test playlist...ahh memories..:o

Ah well ,all I can say is dont stop ....belieeeevin............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Radio Novariety more like.

I'm tired of hearing the same songs again and again. They have such a massive amount of material to draw on that isn't open to the more commercial singles based stations and yet they are just as repetitive as those stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I am a bit disappointed with Nova too at this stage. I loved having a station I could keep on while I was working and driving, but after a week I realised how repetitive it was. When they aren't playing the same few classic anthems from the aforemented Led Zep, AC/DC, Eagles, etc it is some cheesy eighties nothing and a few current bands such as Coldplay, KoL and the Strokes. I don't mind if they are going to play modern rock too....but Coldplay? Surely there is a far bigger pool to choose from if you are going to go into the modern genre, as well as the classic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

(and if you can't be arsed listening here's their playlist for the past hour

Far too many unknown songs on that for a Dublin station. You want a station that keeps anoraks happy (nothing wrong with that) Nova want to succeed and make a profit and keep people in jobs.

4FM tried your approach Sideshow - look at them now, they're fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Have been listening since day one, biggest problem seems to be a very limited catalogue, I hear the same songs again & again . . . . .

They could be sooo much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Tried listening this morning. Can't remember what song I tuned in for, but it definitely was not classic rock, 'twas very light. Most of the songs I hear on it I've NEVER heard of (same with alot of people I know). Some stuff they played I enjoyed (I even whipped out the oul air guitar on the bus) Also, I here the same songs over and over again. Very small playlist. There's nothing there to keep me tuned to the station. Don't like the music, not a big fan of the DJs ('cept Pat Courtney, he's graaaaand)... that's just me though.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Have been listening since day one, biggest problem seems to be a very limited catalogue, I hear the same songs again & again . . . . .

They could be sooo much better.

Not a limited catalogue..but a limited rein...

I honestly think the jocks are chomping at the bit to play other stuff, but the Mistress wont allow it......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Away for six weeks, I came back and the clock rad was still tuned to Radio Nova. Saddening to still hear "All Right Now" about five times that day.

RIP Radio Nova :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What a lot of people here are forgetting is that this is a commercial station, not a pirate radio outfit.

It's setup and run as a business - ie: to make a profit - and that means playing stuff that will appeal to the broadest audience within the genre and thus generating the most advertising revenue.

While I can see where a lot of enthusiasts here are coming from, the days of radio being run solely for the audience (ie: the pirates of the 80s) are gone, and I'd have to say if you're not happy with the content, just stick on your ipod/cd/mp3 player instead.

For myself I quite like Nova... I wouldn't listen all day every day, but if I'm the car I'll flick over and if I hear something I like I'll stick with it until something comes on that I don't like - in which case I'll move elsewhere or to the mp3 player - and maybe switch it back on then later.

I think people need to take a step back and look at it for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    is

I think people need to take a step back and look at it for what it is.

A wasted opportunity....:o

tinyjiney wrote: »
    A wasted opportunity....:o

Dont bother mate, its all been said before..;)

Caldonman, I sure you don't need anybody to speak on your behalf.
    How do you think that new artists/bands ( I don't understand why Sidsnot made a distinction) could fit into a Classic Rock format? Do you understand what Classic Rock is?
    Who else, apart from David, has stepped down?

Missed you post. New artists (IMO) fit in under what Nova included in their application for a licence where they have commitments under the heading 'New Opportunities For Irish Talent'. I stand to be corrected on this of course.
    I also don't mind people answering on my behalf.

Thanks for replying. If indeed Nova do have this commitment then you are right. Of course this doesn't mean that any local/unsigned act should be given airtime but there may be a particular show, the Rock Report or whatever, that can accomodate the like.

Advertisement